HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bike riding prolapse sisters... Bike riding prolapse sisters...

Unread 06-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Bike riding prolapse sisters...

I went for a bike ride yesterday for the first time in almost 10 years (on a bike that wasn't stationary at least), and throughout the ride I felt like I was sitting on a wad of cotton guaze (and it wasn't anything riding up!). This morning my nether parts are on fire and oh so sore. Since I'd love to start biking to work I have a few questions for my bike riding prolapse sisters...

Are my nether regions always going to feel like this after a ride, or was it most likely an ill fitting saddle and the long layoff from biking? ( I used to ride all the time and never had problems before).

Am I hurting my prolapses by biking?

Will biking likely wind up on the list of restrictions once my repairs are done? (No sense buying a bicycle if I can't use it) Will I be able to tolerate biking after repairs?

Is there anything else I should consider that I may not have thought through?

You all are a wonderful source of support, so I'm hoping you can answer my questions. As you can imagine, the 20 yr old guy at the bike shop wouldn't be much help
Unread 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM

Ary, I still think sitting on a chair is uncomfortable......I can't even imagine a bike! I don't know if it can make the prolapse worse but I can't imagine it ever being comfortable. As for after a repair I also can't say. I am 4 months out from one... for me it would probable be 4 years but I am not healing very quickly. I am sure someone with more experience will be on with some advice.

Good for you for wanting the exercise, tho!
Unread 06-07-2007, 05:16 PM

Ary,
I know this is silly, but I just bought a bike a few days ago, knowing that I was going to schedule surgery soon.(A & P repair now scheduled for 6/19) I didn't have any problem as you described with my prolapses, but then again I have only been on a few short rides. I know it will be a long time post op before I can ride it again, but never thought to ask the Dr. if it would be a restriction in the future. I bought this specific bike because I wanted an old fashioned, one speed, break with the pedals bike. It has a nice wide seat.
My kids are so embarrassed.
So, does anyone else know if bike riding is out?
Jen
Unread 06-08-2007, 03:39 AM

Oh Kathie, I feel for you! I can't imagine being so uncomfortable sitting on a chair...

I have a consult with the Dr next week, so I'll ask. I'm hoping for some more experiences to go on so I know what questions to ask.

As for the nice wide seat I agree with you Jen! The bike I rented the other day had more of a racing saddle. For the way I feel right now, I may as well have not had a saddle at all! Thanks for your input.
Unread 06-08-2007, 07:28 PM

Ary, I gave up bike riding for just that reason! Everytime I would sit on the bike seat I would have so much more pain and pressure. I experienced that with the prolapse and also after the surgery. DH and I have been talking about buying good bicycles with generously padded seats but I'm so afraid that I won't be able to stand it.
Michelle
Unread 06-09-2007, 11:27 AM

Ary,
I just saw a clip on one of the morning news shows about a new seat that someone has designed to take the pressure off female organs when riding. Maybe that would be an option. For me it still hurts to sit on a hard chair, so no bike riding for me either. Ask the doc's about whether it will put pressure on your pelvic area. Hugs.
Unread 06-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Ary,
Thanks for posting this question! I never thought that these kinds of activities would be affected! I, too, love bike riding - not far, purely recreational - but found that any and all seats I tried were totally uncomfortable, even for short rides. My husband ended up buying us both recumbents which made all the difference both with my back and with my "nether regions." I'm wondering if these kinds of seats which allow you to lean back rather than having to sit straight up might make any difference? Does anyone out there have any experience with recumbents? And how about skiing? Am I going to have to give that up too???
Unread 06-11-2007, 08:04 AM

Ary,
I just got on my bike about 2 weeks ago after a long time and complication from surgery. Finally I can do it without lots of pain. As to riding with prolapse I rode only a couple of times before surgery and it felt uncomfortable because of sitting on cystocele that was already dropped partly out. (very uncomfortable). I have a medium saddle. I also cross country skied after hyst and have recently began running again. I had to listen to my Dr about when and what I could do. You may want to inquire as to how long until you can do exercise again and also what type?
Unread 06-12-2007, 05:38 AM

Ary and Bowlinggrl,

I was extremely curious after reading there might be a better bike seat because I used to like riding and have sort of given it up after all the prolapse stuff. I found this internet article about a type of bike seat that looks like it might be the one you were talking about Bgrl. Bike Seat Does it look like the one? Anyway, it sure would be nice to have something that would be easier to use.
S
Unread 06-12-2007, 06:49 AM

Orahdeb,
First of all, I am thinking of you today, hope all goes perfectly! I did look up 'The Seat' and it is different from the one I saw, but sounds like it should work great. Maybe I will consider riding again if I can get something that doesn't make my crotch ache.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.