HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Closed Thread

Update on my use of hormone pellets Update on my use of hormone pellets

Unread 08-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Update on my use of hormone pellets

(((Boop1))) Since you are currently using patches, you might get more helpful feedback by posting your own thread regarding the symptoms you're having on them rather than asking here on a very loooooong thread chatting about pellets, which are a different (and, yes, prescription) delivery method. Just as a quick comment, though, it sounds like your dosage may need adjustment since you are still having a few symptoms of low estrogen plus possibly estrogen dominance, indicating a need for more estrogen as well as some progesterone to balance it. But do talk with your DR about everything, including the anxiety and irritation, as it could all be related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meramec Lady
Please have the women who have had problems, post their experiences to help us all out. A blanket statement that you know women who have had bad experiences doesnt provide much clarity as to what issues they dealt with.
Unfortunately, we cannot "have" particular women come to this thread and post their experiences for you here. However, some have posted them on this site. If you like, you can do a search here for posts by CDauphinet, pakline or charleg; those are just a few that come to mind for whom the pellets did not work out well; they've since moved on to success with other forms of HRT and haven't posted here recently.

Like any other form of HRT, pellets aren't going to work beautifully for everyone. If one form of HRT were "perfect" for everyone, we'd all be on it.

Regarding the references you cite ... I don't see anything there that compares the pellet method of delivery to other delivery methods for the same hormones and concludes that the pellet method is any safer, more effective or better in any way. They just suggest that they're not bad, or may confer certain health benefits - but not that they do this better than, say, for example, the patches, troches, injections, sublingual drops or compounded creams containing the same hormones. There are many more similar articles proclaiming these other methods to be effective as well, but they, too, don't compare one delivery method against the other.

So, I repeat my assertion that I do not believe that any studies concluding that pellets are safer or more effective than other delivery methods for the same HRTs exist, though of course I'd welcome input from anyone who actually has any such reference.

Look; I'm not trying to be anti-pellet. I'm just trying to make it crystal clear that (1) we are all different, and what works for one of us may not work at all for another; and (2) there is no one delivery method that is safer or more effective than another across a population of patients, though clearly an individual may do better on one form than another.

What makes me so concerned here is that I see on this thread, and in this forum recently, brand new members jumping to try something that sounds like it's "better" because of the limited experience and endorsement of one member, or a small group. I know that finally finding something that makes one feel like onesself again is wonderful, and can lead to enthusiastic reports about the experience, and that's ; but I caution those who are new to the to work closely with a DR you trust and try what they recommend first, before shopping around to find a DR who will let you try something else just based on someone else's short-term experience with it. It might be the greatest thing in the world for you, or it might not, and this particular method involves a risk in that once they're in there, you're pretty much stuck with them for the duration. There are plenty of other, cheaper, easier methods (in terms of dosage adjustment) that you can try first.

Again, I'm very happy for you that you feel the pellets are working for you. Best wishes for continued good luck with them.

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-07-2007, 05:24 AM

Hi SurferBabe:

Besides the Trutero study regarding pellets potentially safer choice regarding breast cancer, it is true (because I am looking at the hard copies) that one study just showed it was a safe option (which was important for me to see instead of just my dr.'s opinion) and another, "pill, patch or pellet" describes it as Trutero does in that it is the most steady dosing of hormone over these three choices. But, it was enough to make me feel comfortable trying as I am a pretyy healthy individual and my dr has soo-o-o-o- much experience administering pellets. That is key I think.

Thanks for continuing to point out that it may not be for everyone, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or hormone sensitivity that would be of concern for quick removal of the HRT.

My pellet experience has not been without some negative experiences (breast sensitivity, temporary hair shedding) but the overall benefits have been extremely satisfying.
Unread 08-07-2007, 05:48 AM

I have one more comment that is in agreement with Surferbabe: By all means dont just try pellets without trying other options first (less expensive and just might work). I spent 7 months trying patch and sublingual pills and gels. They were not without some benefit, they were much cheaper, but ultimately chose pellet and think for me it is worth the expense (thus far!) as they have relieved 95% of my surgical menopaus woes, with minimal side effect. I would have never tried pellets without trying some other forms first. Some may say I didnt spend enough time trying to tweak all of the other options and that may be true as well. If the pellets dont provide what I hope they do over the next year, I could be back to trying new methods! I am praying that is not the case!!
Unread 08-07-2007, 06:16 AM

I think it is important to note that the 10 yr study "Hope for HRT"quoted in the above post...by Dr Gino Tutero. He is the founder of Sottopelle...which is the name of a patented pellet therapy business and has clinics throughout AZ and CA. He also trains Drs throughout the US so they can get into the practice of pellet therapy under the Sottopelle name.
Just thought women should be aware of that fact.
Unread 08-07-2007, 06:47 AM

I've been reading this thread off and on and find it interesting. I would like to add one thought in support of Linda's comments about women new to hrt who might be considering pellet therapy based on this thread.

In my opinion, using pellets might be something to try once you've been taking the kind(s) of hrt we on here do for a period of time and becoming REALLY well-versed on how it makes you feel and how your body works with it.

I know for me, I was totally lost at first and couldn't really isolate my menopausal symptoms from fluctuation symptoms from excess symptoms from hormone deficiency symptoms. It took a couple of years for me to figure things out.

One real benefit of pellet therapy seems to be that it forces a woman to ride out those initial fluctuation symptoms. My sense is that many of us try too many things too quickly and it can become really difficult to sort out what is causing what.

That's my 2 cents.
Unread 08-07-2007, 07:06 AM

I, too, am concerned about the newest members reading this thread and making appointments to get pellets inserted immediately based on this short term testimony of one member.

We know other members that tried pellets and got off of them for the exact symptoms (and more) that you describe you experience.

Personally, hair loss is not a symptom I would consider acceptable. I have never had hair loss (even temporary) while I was adjusting my hormone therapy.

The fact is: hystersisters has been online since 1998 with thousands of threads and posts about hormone therapy. You would expect that there would be more support for pellets if this were truly the wonderful answer for the majority of our visitors.

The fact is: pellets are one option. As safe as creams, troches, patches, pills are safe.

We caution all visitors to proceed carefully.
Unread 08-07-2007, 07:31 AM

I'm not sure that I can support this idea that you should go through months of not feeling good before you go to pellet therapy.

I have noticed however, for myself, that the way I felt the few weeks after the surgery, the next 6 mos, and now is completely different. So I would caution anyone to make certain their doctor is going to see them every 3 mos or so for the first year, regardless of their choice of therapy.

I think a lack of support for pellets is because 1) it's difficult to find those who practice it, 2) it's terribly expensive and insurance doesn't usually cover it, 3) most doctors don't know or don't care about it and 3) when someone starts feeling good consistently, there not as likely to post.

I personally am turned off to all forms of therapy at the moment because of the side effects I experienced from the pills, cremes and patches.
Unread 08-07-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Besides the Trutero study regarding pellets potentially safer choice regarding breast cancer, ...
But safer that what? All it says is it's safer than synthetic combination HRT. Well, DUH. The WHI study also showed that Premarin alone is safer than Prempro (synthetic combination HRT). The reason is that it's the synthetic progestin that can lead to breast cancer, not the estrogen. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the form of delivery, be it pellet or pill or whatever. So, again - no evidence that pellets are any safer or better than any other delivery method.

And also, yes, as (((prettyanxious))) points out, do consider the source - someone who stands to financially gain from making his product look good.

I have also never seen a reputable study that proves that pellets provide a steadier dosing over the length of time of insertion than other methods do. They may provide a steadier level day to day, but the delivery is slowly decaying over the life of the pellets. The fluctuations are just oscillating with a much longer frequency - but potentially a higher amplitude. I've never had a problem with fluctuation on the Vivelle dot (once I reached the correct balance for me) - and I get to keep my hair.

Perhaps, as (((katrina591))) suggests, the primary advantage of the pellets is that they force someone who might otherwise give up and switch dosages too soon to ride out the initial waves that happen when you try a new HRT. Personally, I can rely on willpower to do that; but it is true that we have many women here who get impatient and don't give a new HRT time to work before giving up and changing it again.

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
I, too, am concerned about the newest members reading this thread and making appointments to get pellets inserted immediately based on this short term testimony of one member.

We know other members that tried pellets and got off of them for the exact symptoms (and more) that you describe you experience.

Personally, hair loss is not a symptom I would consider acceptable. I have never had hair loss (even temporary) while I was adjusting my hormone therapy.

The fact is: hystersisters has been online since 1998 with thousands of threads and posts about hormone therapy. You would expect that there would be more support for pellets if this were truly the wonderful answer for the majority of our visitors.

The fact is: pellets are one option. As safe as creams, troches, patches, pills are safe.

We caution all visitors to proceed carefully.
Kathy:

I feel obligated to address your EXAGERRATION of my comments regarding "potential concerns with hair loss" and my honest sharing of information regarding "hair shedding" I experienced with my pellet therapy. Let me help clarify my hair shedding.

1)It lasted 6-8 weeks. It was more of 5 hairs in the comb insteat of 1 or 2 which I remembered my norm to be.
2)I have fine hair all my life. I was concerned. It appears to be over. My hair looks normal and great. Not thicker, but now worse for the wear.
3)Both my dr and hair stylist said this is probably be temporary, some people exerience hair lost during changes in hormone levels or as PART OF THE NATURALY SHEDDING OF HAIR ANNUALLY (per my hairdresser)
4) I have noticed times of the year where my hair sheds more than others, but I assumed since I changed hormones it was probably related to that.

So.... lets go back and look at the actual postings whereby women said things like HAIR FALLING OUT! (see post.. Premarin... MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT!) and there are many others... none are related to pellet therapy, except my comments.

So if you think I would be satisfied with now feeling like a completely hormonally balanced, vibrant, happy, sexually fulfilled woman and mother, but also OK with my hair falling out, then you obviously have not been rfully eading my postings. MY HAIR IS NOT FALLNG OUT; NOWHERE CLOSE TO THAT!! That is about as clear as I can make it for you right now. However, if that changes I will be more than happy to report this because I want to share all my experiences, not just the ones that are pro-pellet.

What do you think would happen if more woment tried pellet therapy and provided feedback to make it a more acceptable and improved method of HRT in the United States?

I wonder what would happen to all the various magic potions of pills, patches and gel therapies, not to mention chillow pads and a-ds and all the other thousands of products profiting from relatively young and healthy women just seeking to feel normal again after surgical menopause. No, I imagine all these producs and companies would have nothing to gain, no reason to provide funding and research into more reliable HRT therapies. You need only to look at this site for sponsorship list to have some idea of what I am talking about.
Unread 08-07-2007, 04:20 PM

WHOA!! Ladies,

Really feel that we are getting off course here with this thread. Is my understanding this was suppose to be MeramecLady's updates on her chosen use of HRT - pellet therapy - GOOD or BAD.

Obviously, she has found a method of HRT that is working well FOR HER!!
YEAH!! HAPPY FOR MERAMECLADY!!!

I'm also happy for any other sister feeling this same way who is taking premarin, vivelle dot, climara, triest, biest, progesterone, testosterone, etc., etc., etc., . . . . . . considering what most of us have been through without ovaries, . . .finding that feel good & balance beyond is certainly something to 'squeal' about!!!!

I chose pellet therapy as an alternative to what I had been using for the last 4 years without much feel good - (4 YEARS IS "PLENTY WILLPOWER" AND SUFFERING!!!!!!). (Had done 5 yrs. on same thing prior to this, & 8 mon.s or so, in the beginning, of others) I did not base my choice solely to try pellets on MeramecLady's positive postings - (don't feel most other women will decide on just one person's testimonial either). I found out about their use & info regarding the pros/cons on other websites, prior to tapping into this one, because I was searching for an improvement to my situation - I'd had ENOUGH, & was ready to move on.

Will pellets work for me??? Don't know. Don't believe any of you or any doc. for that matter, possess that knowledge either. ONLY TIME WILL TELL!! Everyone seems to be sooo individual in response to HRT, regardless of method.

If someone is having success with HRT - I want to hear about it!! I want to learn all I can about it!! - good & bad!! I want testimonial from actual users!!
Closed Thread

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.