HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

how bad does it hurt in the days following? how bad does it hurt in the days following?

Unread 06-21-2007, 03:45 PM
how bad does it hurt in the days following?

Are we talking Advils or Percocets?

Will i be able to read to the kids, instruct DH in his soon to be kitchen adventures(haha), or just sleep?

I told some friends of ours they should come over for 4th of July, (5 days post op for me) I said "Sure I'll be laid up, but come on over, we'll just hang out on the couch"

But then I started thinking.... and remembered...

A long time ago I had abdominal repair surgery the week following just sleeping semi propped up and only waking up when the painkillers wore off, sort of whisper/gasping to husband "help ow" then going back to sleep.

Whats it really like?
thanks!
xoxo
Unread 06-21-2007, 04:24 PM

hi! What kind of surgery are you having? I had an abdominal hysterectomy and to me it wasn't bad at all. I did not have any repair work done though and fellow sisters that did have had a harder time.

I took Darvocets 2-3 times a day the first 4 days then started cutting back as it just wasn't that bad. I took one Darvocet at bedtime and took Motrin during the day after that. The pain I had mainly felt like I had done 200 situps, just soreness.

It depends on what all you are having done. I think you'll definitely be able to read to your children and direct your DH but I'm not sure about having company. Maybe for a few hours with you not lifting a finger!
Unread 06-21-2007, 04:25 PM

What type of hysterectomy are you having? That may make a difference. I had a TVH and I was on the morphine drip for the first 12+ hours and then perocets for about 4 days and then just on motrin. I just took motrin on schedule and could have probably stopped them before I did (which was about 2.5 weeks) but I didn't want to be in any pain and I was hoping they'd help with the swelling. I felt great though. I was able to sit around on the couch and "order" Dh around! LOL
On the flip side, my neighbor had a TVH last year and said she was very sleepy for 3 weeks post op and all she could do was sleep.
I don't know if that's b/c I'm 20 yrs younger or what?!?!

ETA: I also had a cathater for 8 days post op b/c they nicked my bladder
Unread 06-21-2007, 04:25 PM

I think it varies for each of us. Also, you may end up with more done than you bargained for. I thought I was having the uterus and possibly cervix removed due to fibroids, but I had it all removed due to endometriosis and fibroids. A catheter is not standard for longer than a day or so, but I had one for a week. It can be kept invisible, but does make you reluctant to socialize.

Overall the pain, is not too bad. For me, the pain of monthly periods was worse than my recovery pain. I did take percosets for one day after returning home and for a few nights, but weaned to ibuprofen and tylenol fairly quick.

I have a just turned five year old. (his birthday was 13 days after my surgery) I carried my surgery bear (given too me to hug when a sneeze or cough caused pain at the incision) and that reminded him to be gentle with me. I was able to read stories and even lay down next to him, with a body pillow between us as my shield. I sat around a lot for that first week (more due to the cath than ability to walk) and took an occasional nap.

You will be able to supervise your husbands work in the kitchen if you have a chair well placed.

Just remember, this is major surgery, and you need to treat yourself as such. My doc said yesterday at my 2 week appt that weeks 4-6 are often the most dangerous. Women start feeling fine even as the sutures inside are just beginning to dissolve. That takes away the extra support and makes it easier to tear things loose inside.

Pain wise, for many, it is bearable but don't base everything on the pain. You have to keep pampering yourself. I hope this helped some. If your friends are close friends, you may enjoy their company just five days post op.....but there are a lot of unknowns that you'll only discover when you get there.

Hugs.
Unread 06-21-2007, 05:27 PM

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingooophorectomy done one week ago today. What type of surgery are you having? It is true that everyone is different. For the most part, the gas pains for me have been the worst of it. I am tired off and on but I feel better as the days pass. Just remember that no matter what type of surgery you are having, it's major surgery and you will need your rest. Stay on top of the pain and don't try to be superwoman (I learned that the hard way LOL). Maybe you can have everyone tentatively plan on 4th of July but it's dependent on how you will feel by then.

Wishing you an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery!
Unread 06-21-2007, 05:50 PM

For me, the pain was way less than I expected. (I was expecting the worse). My recovery pain has been less than the pain associated with my periods. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been pain free, but it has been tolerable. In the hospital they managed my pain well with morphine (which made me sick and I couldn't wait to get off it) and percocet. Most of the time I only needed 1 of the 2 percocets that were perscribed every 4 hours. When I left the hospital, they sent me home with vicodin. Again, most of the time I didn't need the full dose, although I did on occasion. I had specific post-op instructions to stay on top of my pain meds for at least 4 days, even if I felt like I could taper off. I was told that your body heals better if it isn't fighting the pain. I took my prescription meds for a week and then motrin as needed (which has been rare).

I am now 5 weeks out and feel great. I still have tenderness/swelling near my belly button incision (I had a LAVH) but it isn't bad......mostly just annoying.

As far as reading..... I couldn't do much of anything that required me to focus for about a week. I was light headed, dizzy, and foggy. Looking at a computer screen made me sick and I didn't feel up to reading for a little while. Things improved a lot after I went off the pain meds. I think it was probably a combination of the pain meds and anesthesia (as well as the obvious trauma that your body goes through).
Unread 06-21-2007, 06:24 PM

I have to ditto all who have said that it is different for everyone. I am about 17 days or so post-op and have no pain (associated with the hyster). I had a pre-existing condition going in. But my doctors have been on it and I have resumed all my medications prior to surgery that I was ordered to stop taking.

I am back at the gym walking the indoor track. I've been out to the VA three times (drove myself). I have been to my Rheum's office and to the grocery store twice. I've been running my boys around town and will start taking them to their swimming classes that start on Monday for the next 6 weeks.

I was given the green light by my doc yesterday to return to all normal activities (within reason) except the weight training/lifitng I was doing prior.

I had no abdominal incisions or additional repairs. My surgery is still being talked about because it was less than an hour and deemed a "perfect" surgery.

Not boasting...but just making my point that we are all so different. Even going into the surgery makes a difference. I was pretty active prior to because I had to be (preexising condition requires I exercise regularly). All of this makes a difference. Regular BM's after the surgery also help because it is actually the irregularity that constitutes the bulk of the pain. Getting up and moving around helps to move the bowls. The Stool Softners (SS) only serve to do just that. So, getting in plenty of water, fiber, vegetables, fruits (like cherries, bananas, strawberries, and other berries) will help keep you flowing regularly.

I know that it is said by many doctors to take it easy and that is true. But too much laying around causes the bowels to relax; not to mention being on the pain meds (which also make the bowels irregular...coming from someone who has been on them for the past four years for my other condition). So, when you do feel the urge...constipation makes it difficult and it is another cycle of pain. It becomes all about the fiber intake!!!

Others who have had an actual abdominal incision are dealing with a whole set of other issues. They must be extra careful because of the "outside" sutures, let alone, major surgery through the abdomin. Because of where the uterus sits, my vaginal surgery was considered even less invasive than a laproscopic hyster. Additionally, I did not have endo. and the pathology report revealed that I didn't have adeno either. So, just my cervix and fibroid uterus was removed.

I do hope your surgery is uneventful and that you do not experience a great deal of pain in the afterward. God bless!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.