HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long does surgery take? How long does surgery take?

Unread 06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
How long does surgery take?

I'm having a TAH on 6/27. Can anyone tell me how long the actual surgery will take? I know everyone is different. Provided there are no complications, are we talking 30 minutes? or four hours? Just want a general idea. Thanks!
Unread 06-21-2007, 07:58 PM

The best thing would be to ask your surgeon; mine said that with everything they needed to do, if it went well then it would be about an hour and a half, for either version she could perform. Granted, she had seen the interior before at an exploratory lap. so she had an inkling what she needed to do. And it was a textbook surgery, and she was spot on in timing!

Wishing you well on your surgery!
Unread 06-21-2007, 07:59 PM

I had a LSH and it took about 2 hours, but since they are going TAH your could be a little shorter. LSH takes a little longer because of all the prep work to get the instruments in the tiny incisions they make.

Good luck!
Unread 06-21-2007, 08:14 PM

My TAH took almost 4 hours. This was due to severe endo. Good luck!
Unread 06-21-2007, 08:42 PM

Mine took 3 1/2 hours......up from the original estimation of 2-2 1/2 hrs. Good luck!
Unread 06-21-2007, 08:54 PM

My Dr said my TAH would take aprox 45 min to 1 hr. I had an enlarged uterus (12 wk size). She was also doing some exploring for pain on my lt side. She didn't find anything on the lt, but I had a bleeding cyst on the rt ovary that she drained and cauterized. I also had some adhesions that attached the front of my uterus to my abdominal wall. My surgery took one hour. I think it all depends on the type of surgery and what they're "going after"! My surgery was originally planned as a TVH and she said that would have taken a little longer than doing it abdominally. Best wishes!
Unread 06-21-2007, 10:18 PM

Mine took 2 hrs 20 min. My surgeon estimated 2 but there was some infection and they had to unstick my cyst from a few organs. I had a total hysterectomy including ovaries and all.
Unread 06-21-2007, 11:31 PM

They expected 3 hours...took 4 due to removal of adhesions on my bladder from prior surgeries...every body is different.
Unread 06-21-2007, 11:40 PM

Hi: My surgery is on June 29th and I am very nervous and scared.

They found ovarian masses in both ovaries of more than 3 1/2 inches each, when they did a CT Scan with and w/o contrast. So then I had an external and internal ultrasound done, and it also showed the same thing. So next Friday I will be having surgery. Having a BSO and TAH done. My hubby and I were curious as to how long the surgery will be. I can see daffodil53 had the same surgery done. My gyn said there will be an oncologist there in case he is needed. I'd like to have a horizontal type incision and my doctor says the oncologist will not be happy if due to the results, he has to go in to check on my organs and do a wash, as it will delay him by then having to cut again, vertically from rib cage down. Any suggestions as to what is best? If they do the vertical cut, will my stomach muscles be cut?

Thanks

BSO/TAH
Unread 06-21-2007, 11:40 PM

My (TAH, kept ovaries and cervix) surgery was to take about 1.5 hours. I am not sure how long I was actually in there.

I checked into the hospital at noon for a 2:30 surgery. Around 2:45 they did take me back for my surgery. I know that I was out of surgery and recovery and taken to my room by 6:00 pm.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.