belly still swollen | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

belly still swollen belly still swollen

Unread 06-23-2007, 08:40 AM
belly still swollen

I had my TAH on April 17, back to work 2 weeks now and by the end of teh day it's sore, hard and swollen. I feel fat and nothing fits right. Anyone got some encouraging words for me? Maybe I just need to be more patient with myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2007, 11:44 AM
belly still swollen

Sunflower ... We had our TAH on the same day, as well! I, too, still get the swelly belly, some days worse than others. I ended up hurting myself (see "Stupid Me ... Now in Pain" post), and I had to unzip my jeans mid-afternoon yesterday at work because I was so swollen! Today is better. Not sure how long this lasts ... it is frustrating to fit in your jeans, nicely, one day and not the next.
Unread 06-23-2007, 11:50 AM
belly still swollen

Sorry to say that I'm having the same thing with mine -- it's the grossest part of me and seems to get larger as the day wears on. Everything else is thin but my gut. Clothing looks horrible unless it's loose and flowing and then it looks like a maternity outfit.

I'm hoping it's not the dreaded "meno-pot" that I've read about in the menopause books. I do have some friends who've had natural meno and are thin except for the pooch. Mine looks bigger than my rear end and it's very discouraging. Short of having a tummy tuck, I don't know what else to do about it. You'd think it would have gotten smaller when something was removed from inside. No such luck here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2007, 12:17 PM
belly still swollen

Hey Guys; thanks for your replies. I feel as though I have gained some fat in that area just from inactivity as well but the hard swollen part makes it 10 times worse. I am hoping as I get back to my normal activities it will subside but we have had a major surgery and lot's of work done internally and I am sure it takes a long time to heal inside. Just very frustrated, hoping I can fit into my pretty skits and slacks very soon.
Unread 06-24-2007, 11:17 AM
belly still swollen

Same here. I get up in the morning and think, "At last, my tummy is getting flatter," and by 1 pm I have to put on the stretchy waisted clothes!! The worst thing is trying on clothes. I refuse to buy new clothes in a larger size . I am also not having any luck losing weight. When I walk and exercise more I lose a pound or two, but the belly swells more. Maybe a girdle? Is that why our grannies wore those things? Maybe the support and suppression was just necessary!!! It does get old, though.
Unread 06-24-2007, 02:50 PM
belly still swollen

I don't envy you guys just past surgery; I had mine 2 1/2 years ago. At the time I read in the message board of all the ladies who still had swelly belly years later--especially later in the day. I couldn't believe it could last that long.

But I'm here to tell you it does! Most of the poofiness goes away after 6 months, but even now, by the end of the day, that little poof below my bellly button sticks out past comfort, and sometimes when driving home from work, I unbutton my pants. Don't feel bad because everything's not back to normal; healing takes much longer than the doctors tell you--I don't know why they are not more realistic. Two months out is quite early in the game.

I don't mean to get you all depressed, but you do get used to it. The swelly belly is just part of who I am now, and such a little problem compared to the hormonal troubles, that it's almost like a dependable friend. I tell my husband, oh, I can't wear that outfit in the afternoon!

Remember, your abdomen's just had some major trauma, and it's bound to be cranky for a while; give yourselves time, and know that the swelly belly is VERY normal. I just wore overalls the first 3 months!

Unread 06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
belly still swollen

Oh no, I don't like my new shape and I don't like feeling uncomfortable and no-one warned me about this! NOT HAPPY!
Unread 06-27-2007, 02:38 PM
belly still swollen

Elfant,

I didn't mean to tell you that your current shape would be permanent! I just wanted to comfort you; it'll take time, please don't get upset if it might take 6 months! You can gently do some abdominal exercises now, and if you are a regular at the gym, you'll be fine. I'm just a lazy bum!

I hope you get lots of rest and heal quickly--be good to yourself!
Unread 06-27-2007, 08:53 PM
belly still swollen

Thanks Cranberryfiend, I won't give up a hope. I can't really do much in the way of exercises (which I'm not heartbroken about because I'm a lazy bum, too). I've had 2 levels in my spine fused and have to be very careful and abdominal exercises are definitely a no no. I was expecting a similar sort of healing process this time but it is quite different - no pain but tired and general discomfort. It feels like I'm being a wimp so it is reassuring to find I'm not.
Unread 06-28-2007, 05:21 PM
belly still swollen

The 3 "exercises" I did, starting maybe 5 weeks out:

1) Lie on back on bed with knees up/feet flat on bed, clinch lowest bit of abdomen straight down to bed without moving back--hold for a count of 8, let go for 8 count. Repeat 10 times.

2) Lie on back on bed with knees up/feet flat on bed, push lower abdomen down so small of back touches bed, hold for 8 count, release for 8 count; repeat 10 times. If you are feeling up to it, you can also lift upper back/2 or so vertebrae (don't curl shoulders) in a mock crunch.

3) Lie on back with knees up/feet flat on bed, reach inside of one knee with the opposite hand and push against the unmoving knee with your whole arm for 10 count--works the side muscles. Change sides and repeat, maybe 10 times.

Then, around 2+ months out, I started the bent knee rounds: Lie on bed with knees up; slowly lean them together to one side as far as you can towards the bed (until flat if you can). Then bring them slowly back up to upright and over to the other side. Keep going slowly side to side, a few times at first, then maybe up to 20. If this exercise is okay with your back, and you get good at it, you can keep your feet just off the bed the whole time.

See, nice in-bed exercises! Good luck. And remember healing takes a LOT of energy, take lots of naps. Also if any movement hurts--don't do it!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register