HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

HELP. Tired of PAIN. Kenalog shots in vagina for vaginal cuff pain at 9 months HELP. Tired of PAIN. Kenalog shots in vagina for vaginal cuff pain at 9 months

Unread 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM
HELP. Tired of PAIN. Kenalog shots in vagina for vaginal cuff pain at 9 months

I had a TLVH on October 5, 2006. I have had deep vaginal pain since the third week of recovery. I have been back and forth to the surgeon (Who is a really good guy and always listens). I have prodded, poked and examed off and on for almost nine months. I have had blood, major catscans done, urine,etc. Nothing has shown up. The pain feels like I am being poked deep inside me, or pinched inside and feels like it burns inside at times. I also have most of the pain on the left inside me and into my left butt cheek. There hasn't been anything that the dr. could find. I went again to the surgeon today for the same pain. He ordered an internal ultrasound for tomorrow, I had blood taken and urine taken. Today for the 1st time on an internal exam where he deliberately tried to inflict pain and discomfort he found a spot inside cuff that didn't heal properly (just one of those things nobody could predict) He said he thinks it will respond to Kenalog(steroids) shot. I have done as he asked over the months and documented all pain and when, what, and why I thought it occured. He said let's try shots and hope nothing shows on ultrasound. He doesn't think it is adhesions or nerve damage and that the shot doesn't really hurt. FEEDBACK ANYONE. PLEASE!!!!!
Unread 06-26-2007, 01:21 AM

I've not had your experience. However, have heard of at least 2 other women in my community that had a similar problem.............same symptoms that ended up being found to be caused by small, improper healing of the cuff.

Sounds like your physician is good........diligent in searching to find answer. I would try the shots. However...........he cannot predict how they will.......or will not.......hurt, I would think!

At any rate, I certainly hope this shall be your answer, Princess. Hope someone else who has had this experience shall come along and share. Take care..........s......Deb
Unread 06-26-2007, 01:52 AM

Sounds like you have a VERY good dr that is really working with you to find the source of your pain.

Just take notice after you have the Kennalog shot. Its a steroid and you will find yourself eating and not even realize you are doing it.

I have asthma and me and steroids have a love-hate relationship.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 06-26-2007, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I just came from the dr. they did an ultrasound of the vaginal cuff and the lady who did ultrasound said she didn't see anything bad however the dr. will read it and decide what he sees in preparation for kenalog shot. Please if anybody has had experience with shot let me hear from you. Thanks
Unread 07-04-2007, 04:47 PM

Sue Ellen,
While I have not had steroid shots into my vaginal cuff, I am very familiar with steroid shots in other areas. I have had them into my abdominal incision more than once and also have had many when I was having bad bronchial infections. Steroid shots are good at helping with inflammation. When I was having them in my incision they helped 110%. And they also helped immensley when I was having bronchial problems. If nothing else has helped, I think the steroid shots may be worth a shot.
Unread 07-04-2007, 09:08 PM

thanks for the reply
Unread 01-12-2008, 07:16 AM
kenalog shots

Sue Ellen, I have been reading your post from 6/07. About the kenalog shots. Did you do it, and did it take care of your pain? My doctor wants to do the same thing on me. I am 8 months post-op. Just the uterus removed. I have pain way up inside. It feels like the vaginal cuff. I had one treatment of silver nitrate months ago. The pain came back. It doesn't hurt with sex only after, it is a constant pain. Ibuprophen helps, but kills my stomach. The doctor told me I might have to live with it. Does the shot keep you from having an orgasm? Also is it a temporary fix? Please help me if you can.. I am so sick of this pain. Thanks Sherry T
Unread 01-12-2008, 11:07 AM

I didn't have the shots I was concerened something else could go wrong like nerve damage from the needle hitting the wrong spot and I didn't want it to mess with orgasms ,which by the way are much better since the hysterectomy. The pain does'nt come all the time an;ymore and it's been 15 months. When it comes I have sex and it helps with the pain. Its alwa;ys on the left side deep inside. It hurts worst when I sit and drive I still takes med for it when it hurts bad like a Mobic or quarter or half a percocet. Right know I choose to live with the pain because I am afraid of the solution and that it will do something to make it worse or cause a new problem
Unread 01-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Kenalog shots

Thanks so much for getting back with me. You feel pretty much the same way I do about the shots. If it is a temporary fix, or will hurt my orgasm, I don't want to do it either. Thanks again Sherry

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.