HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

how long off work how long off work

Unread 06-26-2007, 03:59 AM
how long off work

I am having a tvh a&p repair and mesh placed. When I told my employer that the doc said I would be off 4-6 weeks they thought I was nuts and should be able to return to work within 2 weeks. Has anyone else been told that long to be off and what was your employers response.
Thanks for your answers
Unread 06-26-2007, 05:32 AM
how long off work

Ok I'm having TAH, but was told I would need to take at least 6 weeks off and would definitely be back after 13 weeks.

It may depend on the nature of your job as well though, I'm a gereatric nurse, so my job involves a lot of heavy lifting.

Go on your doctors advice, not your works. Also remember you need to take appropriate recovery time. Your work are probably more concerned that they are going to be a man down!!!

Good Luckxx
Unread 06-26-2007, 05:57 AM
how long off work

I had a tah/bso and was told at least 6 weeks with restrictions, especially for lifting.
I agree that you should go with what your dr advises for you. Don't try rushing things and risking complications - you only get one chance to heal properly

s
Unread 06-26-2007, 06:32 AM
how long off work

I had the TVH and A & P repairs and my Dr. wrote my note for 6-8 wks. However, I am lucky to work in the school system and I scheduled my surgery so I won't have to go back until 14 wks.

You will need at least the 6 wks with the repairs. Don't let anyone pressure you into rushing your recovery.
Unread 06-26-2007, 07:46 AM
how long off work

I was told six to eight weeks with a TAH.

I agree, don't let them push you. I let my employer talk me into working sooner than doctor's orders with a back injury 25 years ago and I still regret it.

There's a reason why we pay these people the big bucks.
Unread 06-26-2007, 08:18 AM
how long off work

i am hoping for 30 days -- after 30 days it affects our raise and bonus -- i am williing to have numerous restrictions -- i am a legal assistant so I sit a lot and restrictions would be no big deal.
Unread 06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
how long off work

I am having a TVH.. with no other work/repairs.. and my doc told me I would be off work for 6 weeks with restrictions the entire time.
Unread 06-26-2007, 09:09 AM
how long off work

My boss actually asked me if i really needed the surgery...HELLO>>>>>>I genjtly explained that for the past months I have been loading myself up on Darvocet to come in and YES>>>>>>then she asked is it really necessary now, it can't wait and do you really need to be out for 4 weeks....UGH.....
Unread 06-26-2007, 09:13 AM
how long off work

My sister-in-law was back at work in 4 weeks with no problems at all. She just watched what she did -- she is a bank VP and was sitting most of the time at work. She figured she could sit at home just as well.
Unread 06-26-2007, 09:20 AM
how long off work

absolutley!
I also have a business trip planned for the 1st week i am back a whole week...hope i am up to it...my DH says no way I am thinking I will be fine?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.