HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What to pack for the hospital ???? What to pack for the hospital ????

Unread 07-07-2007, 12:49 AM
What to pack for the hospital ????

You'll feel so much better when it's over. Waiting is the hardest. I took and used: chapstick, moisturizer, toothbrush/paste/floss, pen and small notebook (to write down meds, nice nurses' names to send ThankYou cards to), custom-made hospital gown (wore on last day after my shower), short lightweight robe (but the Hospital had one that would have sufficed to cover up my backside while walking in the hospital-issue gown) cell phone and charger (had DH call the friends from my cell phonebook) and vitamins from my naturopath which I took as soon as I could keep solids down. I took but didn't use: magazines (I had 20 hrs. of nausea on day 2 due to rxn to narcotics), books (hah, forget it, you probably won't feel like reading), slip-on slippers (too much trouble to keep track of, I was happy with the hospital socks). I had a private room, and didn't take earplugs. Since I tried to get off the narcotics ASAP, I would have used earplugs because even though my room was quiet, sometimes my door was left open and the noises from the hallways could be disturbing if you're not on narcotics.
Unread 07-07-2007, 01:10 AM

I didn't take any pads - the hospital supplied most of what I needed. Was glad I had my cell phone, my own easy to slip on slippers, hair brush and pony tail elastic, small notebook and pen (I wrote stuff down so I wouldn't forget ).
Unread 07-07-2007, 01:15 AM

Double check about cell phone use at the hospital you will be at. Mine only allowed cell phone use on the 1st floor [I was up on the 5th].
Unread 07-07-2007, 02:29 AM

Stupid question. Will I bleed? I'm getting an incision. I had not even thought about that.

I went yesterday and got some stuff, I did forget chapstick, I have some, but I wanted another tube, I'm really liking that new Aquafina lip moisturizer.

For hospital I bought:
- robe
-slippers
-soap and holder
-toothbrush holder and trial size toothpaste
-deodorant
-lotion (smaller size)
-body spray, just incase
-new ponytail holders and headband
-socks, my feel always get cold
I also bought 2 nightgowns, I don't have many, that way I don't have anything touching my incision, not to sound nasty, but if I don't bleed I plan on not wearing any underwear, I won't be going anywhere so it won't matter.

I'm sure I'll think of other things between now and then.

I'm also planning on taking a book to read, hopefully I can find the new V.C Andrews book that just came out.
Unread 07-07-2007, 02:32 PM

The incision may"weep" or bleed a little. Mine did and 9 days post-op, it still is. So if you care about your own clothes, don't take a chance. Some women's incisions don't, but you won't know until it happens. You may want to wear old cotton panties. It helps protect the incision as well as catch the weeping if you have any.

Also, different hospitals offer different things. Mine gave me socks w/ rubber-dotted soles which worked out great for keeping warm or walking.
Unread 07-07-2007, 03:27 PM

The list of what I used is smaller than what I took. Slippers, cell phone, brush, I wore my glasses and left contacts at home, hard candy, blistex lip moisturizer, treats for the staff, toothbrush & paste, mouthwash, slipon knee length gown. Even my drawstring workout pants were uncomfortable. I wish I would have given more thought to a few things I would be able to wear afterwards. I'm home now and have very little I can comfortably wear that doesn't hurt my incision or to tight in the tummy. I wish I had sundresses. Even my elastic jammie bottoms are uncomfortable on my tummy.
Unread 07-07-2007, 04:38 PM

we so often forget about the after since we are so wrapped up in the pre- anxiety! wish i had a bit more.
Unread 07-09-2007, 08:29 PM

I was most grateful to have brought my CD player and big earphones to shut out noise. I listened to a relaxation CD through the surgery, and to tune out hospital noises when I was in my room. I also loved that a friend who was in the hospital a long time for colon surgery suggested an eye pillow. Invaluable to get some rest, particularly if you have a roommate, can't control the level of the lights in your room at all times, etc.
Unread 07-09-2007, 08:38 PM

I just took the basics:

Comfy pjs
ultra thin pads
toothbrush/toothpaste
brush
deodorant
cell phone
my pillow from home,and my tummy pillow

I wore my pjs home from the hospital.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.