HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Lupron Depot feedback Lupron Depot feedback

Unread 06-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Lupron Depot feedback

I just got my first Lupron Depot injection yesterday (11.25 mg., the 3-month dose for endometriosis and getting ready for surgery). Of note is that I am almost 47, so I have been peri-menopausal already, I believe.

Thought I'd share how I feel day-by-day, or week-by-week.

Day 1: Was quite nervous about getting this injection, as I had heard so many awful stories, and had heard it would really hurt.

Actual experience: Painless injection! Next day... still painless at injection site. My surprise was an odd but not annoying smell in my nose on the way home from my appt. Then I tried to eat an ice-cream cone last night and didn't like it!! Hmm... maybe I'll lose some weight on this thing! I woke up in the night, but was able to get right back to sleep, so no issues there.

I should also mention that my surgeon feels that it is best to get your Lupron injection toward the end of your cycle. That way, when you get the initial estrogen surge, I believe it is nicely countered by the hormonal situation at that time of the month. This will work only if you have indeed ovulated that cycle.

Of course anyone who has or who might be taking Lupron Depot should feel free to post here, and I will attempt to give updates as to how it seems to be working for me.

Best wishes to all,

Brenda
Unread 06-28-2007, 05:45 AM
Lupron Depot feedback

I was given a booklet to read about Lupron shots from the drs office yesterday. As I am still having pain and we are not sure if it is endo or adhesions. I will have to keep an watch on your posts and hope you do well on your shot.
Unread 06-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Lupron Depot feedback

I received my Lupron shot 4/19 to get ready for my surgery. The first couple weeks were great. I felt better than I had in a long time. I got my shot near the beginning of my cycle so I had one more AF, lasted 15 days, heavy. Reminded me of why I am having this surgery. No bleeding since. I do have really bad hot flashes though. They laugh at me at work, since I'm normally the one complaining about how cold it is... The night sweats have been keeping me up the last couple of weeks. I just hope this is helping to shrink the fibroids and increase my hemoglobin. It was 9.4 last time it was done. Good luck on your surgery and hope the lupron reduces your pain.
Unread 06-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Lupron Depot feedback

littlek:

You mentioned that the first couple of weeks were great. I think that is when we get extra estrogen (a surge). I have this feeling that I'll like the surge, but maybe not like the estrogen suppression part. We'll see....

Are you saying that you only thought the first couple weeks were great, but the rest of the time has been bad, or just so so (because of the hot flashes)? Just trying to fully figure out what your experience has been like.

Thanks for the well-wishes for my upcoming surgery. I hope your goes well also!

Brenda
Unread 06-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Lupron Depot feedback

I mentioned that the first couple of weeks I felt great because I felt soooo great. I do think it was the estrogen surge.

The rest hasn't really been that bad, except for the hot flashes and I think they're amusing more than bothersome. I guess I just have a warped sense of humor. I feel the heat rising, my whole head turns beet red and I get a little surge of energy. Cracks me up really. More bothersome at night I guess. Kick the covers off, get cold, can't get the covers back on, 'cuz now the dog's on top of them...

I think it is helping the anemia, because I used to chew ice like there was no tomorrow and now I don't want any. (Chewing ice is a sign of iron deficient anemia). I guess I'll find out after pre-op on July 5th.
Unread 06-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Lupron Depot feedback

I had an injection yesterday (only 3.75mg cause my surgery is next month). Felt a bit "yucky", but that could be because it was 98* here yesterday. Has slowed down the cramping today (yesterday was about the same). I am near the end of my cycle, so it'll be interesting to see what happens in a couple of days...

Was already having hot flashes, but haven't noticed any change yet.

Was told by my surgeon (who helped administrate the clinical trials) that the side effects don't usually kick in until around the end of month 3 of using the drug.

Good luck to all!
Unread 06-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Lupron Depot feedback

Hey, Lostgoddess:

Your surgery is just one day before mine, and you just got your Lupron injection yesterday?? That's just like me, too! Except that I was thinking I was getting only a one-month dose, but my surgeon slipped in the 3-month dose on me instead!

We'll have to compare notes as we go along! And, I agree, it sure has been hot the past couple of days. I had thought my face was flushed, and I almost blamed the Lupron.... then I checked our thermostat and it was 83 degrees inside our house!!! Guess that wasn't Lupron's fault!!

Nice to connect with you,

Brenda
Unread 06-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Lupron Depot feedback

tandbs1 - same with me and the hot flashes!!! I thought I was going to spontaneously combust...but it wasn't me this time!!! You must be down near the shore...since you were so much cooler yesterday. Actually looking forward to the thunderstorms/cooler weather tonight.

funny how we're paralleling treatment...we can compare hospitals, etc offline. would be ironic if we wound up roommates at the castle! What type of hysterectomy are you having?

Debi
Unread 06-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Lupron Depot feedback

Hey Brenda - I tried Lupron also, had 2 shots. It didn't reduce the size of the fibroids/uterus to the point that the dr was impressed - but it made me feel better as far as my back/hip pain goes, so dr. thought maybe something had changed as far as the blood supply of the fibroids. The hot flashes weren't that big a deal, really, but I had some mental/wanting to jump out of my skin feelings. He decided not to give me another injection and surgery is 7-18. I'll keep watching to see how you are doing. Hang in there, we're all in it together! Tami
Unread 06-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Lupron Depot feedback

Can you ladies please tell me where you receive these injections? Do they hurt? I hate shots!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.