HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Estrogen only or do I need progesterone and/or testosterone too? Estrogen only or do I need progesterone and/or testosterone too?

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Estrogen only or do I need progesterone and/or testosterone too?

With HRT, do we need just Estrogen, or do we have to take progesterone and or testosterone also? When we first start HRT, how do we know what type to take, what dose, etc.? I had everything taken out except my cervix due to too many adhesions from endometriosis.
Unread 06-29-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Quilt
With HRT, do we need just Estrogen, or do we have to take progesterone and or testosterone also? When we first start HRT, how do we know what type to take, what dose, etc.? I had everything taken out except my cervix due to too many adhesions from endometriosis.

I think that depends on your symptoms. Some people need progesterone to feel good, some don't. Some need testosterone. When we lose our ovaries, we lose 50% of our testosterone production as well as all of our estrogen production except what is made by the adrenals or fat cells. Most women who have had their ovaries removed will need testosterone replacement at some point. The best way to know is to have a free and total testosterone level checked. Again, you should discuss it with your doctor. I think an endocrinologist is a good idea. I've never been to one but maybe I should try that next.
Unread 06-29-2007, 11:37 AM

I saw my Dr yesterday to get all the blood drawn to start HRT. He does the compounded hormones. He said because I was having problems sleeping and feeling angry he would probably add a little progesterone. He said unless the testosterone was almost non existant he would wait and see if making me feel better helped the libido first. Those labs can't come back soon enough for me!!!!
Unread 07-03-2007, 07:05 AM

It took me two years to feel I found the answers that were right for me. I would highly recommend reading Hormone Hell to Hormone Well by C. W., Jr., M.D. Randolph and Genie James. I was always concerned about taking only synthetic estrogen, and the more I learned about needing a balance of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone and the benifits of natural (compounded) vs. synthetic hormones the more I felt this would give me the best shot at a normal life. I suffered with extreem fatigue, hot flashes, sleeping problems and joint sorenes. After 3 months on natural progesterone, Tri Estrogen, and testosterone I am feeling worlds better. Please keep in mind that this is what worked for me and each person is different. I wish you well in your recovery and yes it can be very confusing. Keep reading, asking questions and don't give up!! -Kestrel
Unread 07-04-2007, 12:19 PM

This is all so confusing, isn't it? I was under the impression that if your uterus has been removed, that you no longer need progesterone, but that estrogen and testosterone can really help us feel back to normal if we choose to go with HRT.

I am 2.5 weeks since my TAH/BSO using a 0.06 Climara patch only. When I go for my post-op in a few weeks, I think I'm going to beg for something more because I feel like I'm stuck in the PMS mood of the week before my period when I was my most irritated and blue. Not fun for anyone, I must say

Can the right combination be achieved to help feel normal again? I'd really like to be stuck in the mood of the week after my period, when there was actually a libido and I felt like myself.

Yikes!
Unread 07-04-2007, 04:15 PM

Everyone is different. Some women do just fine with estrogen alone, while others find they need estrogen and testosterone, some need estrogen and progesterone and finally some need all three! Hrt is not one size fits all. As you are fairly recent post op I think it is a good idea to start with estrogen alone, give it some time and add in the other hormones slowly, if needed.
Unread 07-07-2007, 04:25 PM

Can someone please tell me what the progesterone does? I talked with my dr. yesterday about some of my fears about the HRT, and he said he will put me on enough estrogen to equal my natural production so I shouldn't have any of the sudden menopause problems, and I wouldn't have to worry about anything else. I asked about the progesterone and he said I wouldn't need it, but I've read here of lots of women who do take it. Just curious???
Unread 07-10-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim M
Everyone is different. Some women do just fine with estrogen alone, while others find they need estrogen and testosterone, some need estrogen and progesterone and finally some need all three! Hrt is not one size fits all. As you are fairly recent post op I think it is a good idea to start with estrogen alone, give it some time and add in the other hormones slowly, if needed.
Thank you, thats exactly what I needed to hear, each of us is different and there is no one size fits all answer. I was wondering why my Dr. has me only on the Vivelle patch and nothing else, but it makes sense like you said start just with estrogen, give it time, then see if anything else is needed.

I was starting to think something wasn't right with me, I'm 13 days post op today, and still no symptons of any kind, lucky I guess. But reading where you said we are each different, made me realize this applies to this as well. Not that I'm anxious to have any of it start, lol.

Again, thanks for helping put my mind to ease.
Unread 07-14-2007, 11:51 AM

I just had my LSH Jul3. I am currently on Bio identical HRT-
Bi-est, prgesterone and testosterone cream. Began all this in Mar/Apr of this year-still tweeking the dosage. DR did mention prior to the surgery that I would not need the progesterone aftter the hysterectomy-but I will discuss that with him when I see him next-as I hear it is very helpful for mood, sleep & general feeling of well being-with or without a uterus..
The bio HRT has helped me to feel ALOT better....if only I could get my libido back-then all would be perfect!
Good Luck!
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Re: Estrogen only or do I need progesterone and/or testosterone too?

The progesterone is giving me terrible acid reflux! I'm taking progesterone and premarin for hot flashes and fatigue. I'm pretty sure I'm going to forego the progesterone and stick with the premarin and testosterone and see how it goes. My progesterone is barely low, so....it was by my choice to try it. Not loving it! Hope I don't need it in the future! I no longer have a uterus/cervix, but still have ovaries.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.