HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 07-04-2007, 04:46 PM
HRT and Acne

I have my pre-op tomorrow and will be meeting with my doctor. My doctor and I discussed HRT a few weeks ago and I've been researching those various options. I have a history of problems with acne (now under control with spironolactone) and am concerned that the HRT will cause my acne to flare up again. I plan to continue taking the spironolactone during HRT, however, what HRT options work best (estrogen alone, estrogen-progestin) for acne conditions? I want to avoid the estrogen-testosterone option. Any hystersisters out there with an acne condition? Has HRT improved the condition? What HRT option improved your acne or what HRT option made it worse? Any brand of estrogen better than others? -- Laura
Unread 07-06-2007, 03:24 PM
HRT and Acne

I started HRT (Vivelle Dot) immediately after my hysterectomy and I have had horrible acne ever since. I am having a very hard time dealing with it as I was one that never had problems with my skin in the past, not even during my teenage years! I have tried changing to a lower dose, but it has not helped. I am hoping that in time my body/hormones will settle down and my skin will clear up. This is the only problem that I have experiencing since having my hysterectomy and starting on the hormones. I am assuming they are the culprit as nothing else in my lifestyle has changed. I will add thought that I have not experienced any menopausal symptoms such as hot flash, night sweats or insomnia since having my hysterectomy and starting on HRT. I have no idea what to do to help with my acne problem. I have tried wash my face more frequently with a gentle facial cleanser, but it has not helped. I have not tried any over the counter medications as I have very sensitive skin and worry that it might cause it to become worse.
Unread 07-06-2007, 06:25 PM
HRT and Acne

Hi Angelnine,
I'm sorry to hear about your skin. I know how acne can impact one's sense of wellness. I've heard of women whose skin has calmed down when the hormones stabilize.
Have you heard of Spironolactone? It blocks androgen production and can help improve or clear acne. I have a history of acne and it's caused by excess androgens. Spiro keeps my skin clear and will hopefully continue to do so post-op. You could also try a topical antibiotic. Check with your doctor about both meds -- you shouldn't have to suffer through it. What Vivelle dot dose did you start out on and what dose are you on now? -- Laura
Unread 07-07-2007, 11:58 AM
HRT and Acne

I started out on on Vivelle Dot 0.1mg and was switched to Vivelle Dot .075mg after talking to my physician about the problem I seem to be having with my skin. The "dot" hasn't caused me any other problems. I have not experienced an hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia or any other menopausal symptoms since I have been on it and I am VERY thankful for that! I have another appointment with my physician at the end of July and I plan on letting her know that the the lower dose patch doesn't not seem to be helping with my skin problem. I have never had problems with my skin and the sudden onset of acne really bothers me. Thanks for the info on the acne meds. I will be asking about them at my next appointment.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway