HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Question for those post-op with bladder sling Question for those post-op with bladder sling

Unread 07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Question for those post-op with bladder sling

I've been posting my issues on the "Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues" board, but feel I will probably get some needed answers here in terms of what is normal.

I had an LAVH and bladder sling on 06/1/07. For the most part it went smoothly, was in the castle for 3 nights. They tried to take the catheter out 24 hours post op and I couldn't do anything, so back in it went. Took it out 24 hours later and still couldn't go. They taught me how to self-cath and I went home the next day. I think I was still having to self-cath 1-2X per a day and may have even gone a day or two without having to self-cath though the flow of urine was very slow. On day 8 post-op I developed a fever and chills. Dr. had me come in, figured it was a bladder infection as everything else checked out. She put me on an RX did a culture (which was lost at the lab). It seems at that point I went backward and was having to self-cath 50-75% of the time. I then called Uro/gyn who did bladder sling and she had me come immediately. She checked everything out, and put me on a new RX as I was allergic to the Macrobid. I was put on Bactrim for 10 days and also low dose Xanax before bed, as they thought it might help with anxiety as I CANNOT go the bathroom in the morning at all, nothing works.

Nurse called me on Monday to see if things were better, no not at all, still self-cathing 50-75% of the time. Dr. called me personally today and is sending me to a urologist to get things checked further. She has spoken to the urologist and they will be calling to set-up an appointment. It is getting better, but it seems as though my bladder goes to sleep at night and has a hard time waking up. I still have to self-cath at least 2X in the morning, I can sit for 5 minutes and nothing or maybe a drip or two. Her hope is that my bladder is just slow to wake up, but it seems as though she hasn't run into this problem very often with other patients at almost a month out.

Is anyone else having this problem, or were you able to urinate on your own shortly after your surgery or release? If it took your bladder time to heal and wake up how long did it take? I'm jus wondering what the urologist will do and look for?

Thank you, and healing thoughts to you all.
Unread 07-06-2007, 06:20 PM

I had TVH and bladder sling. I was able to urinate immediately after my cath was removed the morning after surgery. I have a question posted because I'm thinking maybe my sling wasn't made tight enough. I was expecting to have to "retrain" my bladder and at least have difference sensations. I guess I'll wait for everything to settle and then start jumping, laughing, sneezing to test.
Unread 07-06-2007, 07:36 PM

You poor thing! This does not sound fun at all. I had a TVT done along with my LSH last week. I woke up with no catheter at all. Later in the day I really felt that I had to go, but when I tried, nothing would come out. They put a one time catheter in, drained me and I gave it the ole college try again a few hours later and nothing still. At that point they put in a Foley and it was left there the next AM. The Resident came by that evening and said that if I didn't go the next day that they would 'scan' me...whatever that meant. Anyway, they took out the Foley the next AM and I was able to go about 2 hours later. The flow felt a little weird...very weak and uncontrolled, but by day 3, I was good to go. So sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Glad you are getting it checked on. Maybe you'll get one of those 'scans' so they can figure out what is going on. I'll keep positive thoughts coming your way
Unread 07-06-2007, 08:57 PM

I have had two pubovaginal (bladder) slings done in a year's time. One in 7/06 that healed too far forward and the incontinence returned. The second was done in 3/07. The urologist put in a second sling farther forward and tacked this one down. The second has worked like a dream. Both surgeries were done on a Friday so I was sent home with a cath.

Usually the cath would have come out prior to being sent home the day of surgery. But because the dr didnt want me to have problems over the weekend when he wasn't in his office, he had me remove them at home the following Monday morning. I had no problems urinating with either surgery.

It could be because your bladder is swollen but to me it sounds as if the sling may be too tight. That will cause the problem that you are describing. If they don't get it just right, you will have problems with urination.

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time. I hope that they figure out what is happening and get it corrected right away.
Unread 07-07-2007, 12:29 AM

Thank you for the responses. After reading yours jovigal I think you might be on to something. I noticed a few other things today so something certainly isn't right. Besides the lazy early morning bladder, even when I do drink a lot I have no urge like I normally would have, my flow is fairly weak and once I start going I really have no control. If I try and do a kegel to stop the flow it doesn't work.

The only positive is that I don't have stress incontinence anymore .

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.