Does your clothes irritate your incision? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does your clothes irritate your incision? Does your clothes irritate your incision?

Unread 07-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Does your clothes irritate your incision?

Hiya Sisters,

Quick question...I had a TAH on 5/21. Everything went smoothly, no major problems. Healed well. I just have a swelly belly.

But, my incision is very long. Starting just above my belly button, hooks around to the left and all the way down to the top of my pubic area. I had humongous fibroids so I didn't get the small bikini cut.

anyway, my incision is healed, never had any problems with it, but parts of my incision is very smooth to the touch, and the part that's getting irritated is sorta raised, kind like a small piece of string. it's healed but not flat. it's the part that hooks around my belly button. My clothes seem to be irritating it, but it's not red or anything. I just feel it. The incision looks fine. I'm not sure if I should put anything on it. I covered it with a gauze for a day and it felt fine. I'm not wearing any tight fitting clothes. pretty mudh just pajama bottom or soft capri pants.

any advice?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2007, 08:24 AM

my incision is horizontal from my TAH. Clothes absolutely are still uncomfortable. Even cotton panties irritate the incision area.
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks Jovigal,

Do you put anything on your incision or cover it up with anything? How long will it be before the irritation stops?

Hang in there. I had my TAH on 5/21/07.....still got swelly belly and irritated incision (at times) but a lot of good changes since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2007, 01:21 PM

When I was still in the hospital, my mom got me two pairs of high waisted nylon control panties in a size or two larger than I would normally wear and they are ABSOLUTE lifesavers. Not only do they provide some support, but they do not irritate my incision (also huge) and are slippery nylong that keeps my clothes from rubbing on my belly. You'd have to search to find one without any seams over your incision, but trust me, they are soooo good.

Kim
Unread 07-12-2007, 05:28 PM

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the tip. Is your incision completely healed? I never had any trouble w/ my incision, but now that it's healed and I'm back to wearing normal clothes it gets irritated in this one spot because of my clothes rubbing against it. I wasn't sure if this is normal or if it means my incision isn't healed. I'm not sure if I should put any medicine on it. But I'm looking into getting a pair of spanx, so I'll look for the panties, just to be on the safe side.

Hang in there. It looks like you're about 2 weeks after surgery. Any questions let me know. I'll be happy to share my experiences after my surgery.
Unread 07-12-2007, 05:49 PM
lucky

Sounds like my vertical scar. And it also sounds like it is keloid. My plastic surgeon gave me the best paper tape by 3M that is flesh colored and it flattened it out. You put it on and leave it on. I swear by that stuff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2bhere
Hiya Sisters,

Quick question...I had a TAH on 5/21. Everything went smoothly, no major problems. Healed well. I just have a swelly belly.

But, my incision is very long. Starting just above my belly button, hooks around to the left and all the way down to the top of my pubic area. I had humongous fibroids so I didn't get the small bikini cut.

anyway, my incision is healed, never had any problems with it, but parts of my incision is very smooth to the touch, and the part that's getting irritated is sorta raised, kind like a small piece of string. it's healed but not flat. it's the part that hooks around my belly button. My clothes seem to be irritating it, but it's not red or anything. I just feel it. The incision looks fine. I'm not sure if I should put anything on it. I covered it with a gauze for a day and it felt fine. I'm not wearing any tight fitting clothes. pretty mudh just pajama bottom or soft capri pants.

any advice?

Thanks
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:38 AM

I am 8 1/2 weeks out TAH. I still get some pains and I get this strange feeling on the left side. in some spots I touch its numb and/or I can feel it somewhere else. For example, I will touch the left side of my belly and feel it on the right side. My doctor says the nerves were cut and will produce more nerves in that area. She told me to massage Vit-E oil on and around the incision. This will help the scar to settle, be less visible and will prevent large area's of internal scar tissue. You may also want to try wearing baggy dresses with no underwear. This will reduce the rubbing on your incision. As I said, I am 8 1/2 weeks out and I have only worn underwear a few times because of the tenderness on my incision (bikini incision). Baggy dresses, shorts and pants have made the difference.

Hope my suggestions help you out. Good luck!
Unread 07-13-2007, 11:11 AM

I agree with bloomingrose, try to wear baggy clothes with no undies. It will kind of give you a little rush the first few times but it will make you feel liberated... since we were all imprisioned to them for so long. Also, as its been mentioned try larger ones, that don't get close to it. I know how you feel, some times I forget and try to wear little bikini panties and UGH, i'm in the bathroom somewhere taking them off.... My DH just shakes his head and laughs when he sees them in my purse. (I'll show him).
Unread 07-13-2007, 05:02 PM

awe, my DH loves it when I take them off. Especially if I am wearing a dress.
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:12 AM

Hi ladies....

Thanks Wannabe. Yes, my scar has keloid around my belly button. My doctor looked at it, said it healed fine and to just wear gauze. Who wants to always wear gauze when wearing clothes? She said the scar is still healing. Where can I find that tape? I may try that. Does it stay on if you sweat? I'm still wearing my abdominal binder sometimes becuz I still have swelly belly. Ugh...

Will this ever end?

hang in there. thanks for the tips everybody. I'll try to wear baggy clothes. I'm just not used to wearing baggy clothes or going commando...ha ha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register