HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can you Smoke The Day Before Surgery? Can you Smoke The Day Before Surgery?

Unread 07-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Can you Smoke The Day Before Surgery?

I am a light smoker generally (5-7 day). I had started on my way to quit all together before this nightmare. Now, I may smoke up to 10 per day with my bad nerves. Does this bother the anesthesia? I do smoke menthol lights. Any other smokers out there?
Unread 07-11-2007, 01:38 PM

Hi
I am a smoker also.
I smoked alittle the morning of surgery but I would ask your dr first maybe call and ask the nurse today since the surgery is tomorrow.
Good luck on your surgery. Keep us posted on how you are doing
Unread 07-11-2007, 03:20 PM

I am also a smoker and was told nothing (including a smoke) after midnight the night before the surgery. I was also told no smoking when released (I didn't listen to that). I had been a good girl and didn't smoke the whole time in the hospital (was there 3 days)....So thats what I did.
Unread 07-11-2007, 05:02 PM

My doctor said I SHOULD stop before surgery but didn't HAVE to. I'm so bad and was so strung out with nerves that I smoked practically up to the front door of the hospital the morning of surgery. I didn't have any problems either as a result. Of course I will tell you not to do that because it can't be good at all for you. But I did live through it and had no complications because of smoking.

Good luck and best wishes on a speedy recovery.
Unread 07-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Well, they said no eating after midnight. For me it was last night. I haven't been able to eat anything, so between my nerves and hunger I have been smoking. I hear it does something to the anesthesia. I won't smoke after midnight though. My surgery is at 7:30. At my pre-op they asked how much and didn't seem to mind that I said 8-10 since all this happened. I will try to stop when I come home. I will give it a shot.
Unread 07-11-2007, 06:42 PM

i was so paranoid about this. i don't smoke much, but had read to try to stop a month before. hmmm. in actuality i had a few the day before. in "fessing up" pre-op i gathered it was not a big deal. i would just be very honest so anesthesiologist knows what he is going in with... that is the important thing. obviously, the less the better right before, the better. do what u can...
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:13 AM

I was told the smoking interferes with healing and messes with your blood pressure. I had quit a few months before surgery but was smoking a few days prior to my surgery and haven't had any issues.
Unread 07-12-2007, 10:30 AM

I smoked on the way to the castle and I didn't have any troubles afterwards either. I told my doc that I smoked on the way and she didn't say a thing. They did make me do the little breathing machine a little more to make sure the lungs were ok. Do your best and I'm sure you will be fine.
Take care.
Unread 07-12-2007, 10:38 AM

I swore I was going to quit 2 weeks before surgery. Well, we are down to 12 days and I haven't done it yet. When I told my surgeon that I was a smoker, he said that not smoking just a day before surgery makes a tremendous difference in recovery. I don't quite understand why, but I will definitely stop 1-2 days prior if I can't muster it before then.

The blood pressure thing is one concern, but I have always have low blood pressure (90/40). Sometimes when I try to give blood and my bp is too low, they tell me to go smoke a cigarette to get it up enough to give.
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:06 PM

I was told not to smoke, eat or drink after midnight. That is what I did but I did smoke a lot before then. My dr never really made a issue out of it.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.