HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Adhesion Lysis ... anyone else ? Adhesion Lysis ... anyone else ?

Unread 07-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Adhesion Lysis ... anyone else ?

I had my TAH/BSO oon Oct. 10, 2006 ... All went well, I had an event free recovery. The Dr. said he wished all his patients healed so well.
Well ... in May I started to get that all to familar pain in my left side again (pulling/burning) , then in my lower pelvis & back and now in my right side also. The Dr. that did my surgery has moved, so I went to a different Dr. . On the 9 month anniversary of my TAH/BSO, I find out that I need to have a Adhesion Lysis done. It's scheduled for 7/25. The thing that is worrying me is that I'm very gassy (to the point of nausea, sometimes), also I've been having a hard time with bm's (sorry if tmi), what if it's a bowel obstruction ? I told the Dr. but he seems to think it's my diet, which I haven't changed. My concern is, if he finds something major like that, will he close me up and make me see a general surgeon ? I'm just flustered . Sorry if I'm rambling.
I had 7 virtually pain free months, I was hoping for a lifetime! So here's another summer down the toilet !

I'm just tired of it all ....
Unread 07-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Slater -

I had my adhesion lysis 9 months to the day Post-Op. My Dr was expecting to find minor scar tissue and maybe a little endo (I think she qustioned my level of pain quite frankly). What she found was extensive adhesions (mostly left side) from just under the rib bone to my pelvic bone. They had to open me back up, they couldn't do this lap but really that wasn't bad since I'm still a little numb. My surgery was over 5 hours but except for in the recovery room, my pain was never worse than it was Pre-Op and really low by 3 days Post Op.

My bowels were significantly involved with bands of scar tissue wrapping my small intestine to my sigmond and I had bands connecting my bladder (lesser degree) to hmm I think the abdominal wall.

I had the pain, bowel and gas issues and they were worse the 6 weeks pre-op. Actually I was very scared this was ovarian cancer as I had like 4 of the symptoms.

I am now 6 weeks Post Op. While things aren't 100%, I feel sooooo much better than I have in so long. In fact, my energy levels are higher than they have been since months before my hyst last fall.

Please don't see this as a total summer lost! Really, by the time I was 2 weeks, I was feeling pretty good. So hopefully, you will have a good end of summer.

Any other questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Julie
Unread 07-12-2007, 11:09 AM

I've already been where you are and now I am possibly back again. My previous Lap surgery was really easy so don't worry about losing the summer, hopefully yours will be the same.
I will find out today if I am having another Lap surgery for the same thing. Pain seems to mimic what you are having pulling and burning pain and I am having huge constipation problems "again". I am feeling for you but at least you are getting treated so you are heading in the right direction.
Unread 07-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Thank You Sisters !

laughnowcrylatr, I know excatly what you mean about your Dr. qustioning your level of pain. I somehow do not think the Dr. quiet beleives me. When I had my TAH/BSO my bladder was "held hostage by adhesions... may be again, going way to often. Was your Dr a surgeon or gyn ?

purpleprincess1, so this is going to be your second lysis for adhesions ? Do you ever really get rid of them ? Or is it just one visious cycle ? Also, so sorry to hear that you're going through it again.

This is horrible, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. (well, maybe one person lol)

Kim
Unread 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM

maybe 2nd surgery, I will know later today at doctor appt. But yes, adhesions can come back and some people are more prone to them then others. That is what is so darn frustrating!!! Meanwhile, doctor may give me a shot of Lupron to treat Endo first before another scheduling me into surgery because that may be the cause of the pain.
This is coming from a new doctor because the last doctor who did my TAH and Lapo surgery no longer believed I was in pain again. There was no way that I am going to accept someone else telling me that I should just be in pain and go home and take some tylenol. Sorry to start ranting but it makes me crazy all of this.....okay, have to get ready for appt to find out my fate.
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:15 PM

purpleprincess1,

It just seems as though no one really beleives or understands "Our" pain. Hell, I was in pain again for six weels before I told my hubby. He was so understanding through the first round ... but, I just didn't think that he'd beleive me or that he'd think I was a big baby.
I've found that if most people can't "see" your pain they don't beleive you. (if you know what I mean)

I hope all goes well at the Dr's , please let me know.

Kim
Unread 07-12-2007, 01:32 PM

Kim -

My Dr is also a surgeon (her bedside manner is a bit cool, it occured to me last fall she's more of a surgeon who has a GYN practice than a GYN who also does surgery). I do trust her and have great respect for her. Its just the pain thing was very frustrating. That being said, once I was in recovery she came out to talk to my mom and said I must have been in a high level of pain from the volume of ashesions and that in 25 years of practice she hadn't seen anything quite like this. My moms thought was this is at least one Dr who won't doubt my claims of pain again.

My thought was I hope I don't have any claims to make.

3 weeks post op this time I started feeling that pulling again. I was very upset and started scouring the internet for options. From an herbal stand point, the one thing that kept coming up was Mustard Seed Extract (Thiosinaminum). So I was able to find it at the local herbal store (like a real one not a GNC) and they are pellets like the size of a pin head. I take 4 3 times a day 10 days and 4 days off. I am 5 days into a second round and could do this forever if needed. I found the second day, I no longer needed Moltrin. I also found it interesting that Saturday (so the 1st day of round 2) I was starting to feel pulling and 1 day into the pellets, it was gone again. I think I am on to something here.

I was telling my moms boss about this and mentioned its original purpose was ringing in to ears. She had had a bad ear infection and her dr told her her ringing as permanent. She's gone through one round and says the ringing is noticably reduced and she is hopeful it will get rid of it over time.

Julie
Unread 07-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Julie,

That is something I am definitely going to try if I need to. What strength are your pills ?
I've looked and they offer several different stregths.

I also found out, if need be, my local hospital has a pain management clinc, that my insurance pays for.

This Dr. that I'm seeing now is a Gyn. & also a surgeon, but if he runs into trouble (bowel obstruction, bladder held hostage ...) I'm not sure if he'll do it or close me up & send me to a G. surgeon . Guess I'll find out.

I'm glad that the Mustard Seed Extract (Thiosinaminum) is working for you. It's always nice to feel better ! Good Luck !

Thank You.

Kim
Unread 07-12-2007, 04:03 PM

Kim -

That question I think would be key regarding the continuation of your surgery. If nothing else, I would think he would have a general surgeon more comfortable with colon/intestine surgery standing by. It really would be unsettling to think he would proceed knowing if its too complex, he intends to close you up rather than being prepared.

Just my thoughts

Julie

PS my pellets say they are 30C - they came in a glass bottle like the size of an eyedrop vial and their are 680 of them (I didn't count, that's what the bottle says)
Unread 07-12-2007, 06:01 PM

okay, this is what we are doing for me. Doctor gave me my Lupon shot 1 month dosage and also scheduled me for another laproscopic surgery on 8/22 which is the earliest available. One or the other I am covering all bases. Surgery can always be cancelled if the Lupron works but at least I am on the books and won't have to wait any additional time. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will all work out.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.