HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Ovary Not Working?? Ovary Not Working??

Unread 07-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Ovary Not Working??

I am trying to figure this out. I have one ovary left and it is (was?) suppose to take over and supply me with hormones after surgery. My question is ... is it? And if so, How will I know? I also have thyroid issues (but those are under control) that can mimic some of the symptoms I am having. My periods were never regular but its been 5 wks since I had one 7 since last ovulating. Shouldn't I have done so by now? Well... I guess not for me as mine can come weekly or in 6 months. That was part of the problem. Anyways ... onto my list of complaints.

~ Hot Flashes - to the point where it feels like I am in a sauna. Usually only at night.
~ At times my face gets so flushed that my checks feel like they are on fire.
~ low grade fever associated with facial flushing
~ clamy -- usually in the morning after I have been up for a while. Then I am fine.
~ Icy hands and feet -- usually in early evening for a few hours then back to normal.
~ Lots of Gas. Sure.... when I wanted to have gas had nothing ... now it won't go away!
~ Tire easily. Do to surgery?
~ Very sensitive when normally I am not. I cry easily when I usually don't. Take offense to things that don't bother me.
~ Insomnia. Sometimes due to pain other times just because. I normally *HAVE* to sleep 8 hrs at a time or I get very ill. Now I am not sleeping more than 4 hrs a night (If I am lucky!) and not getting sick due to lack of sleep (Praise God!) but I still want to sleep!!!

hmm... hold on, I am going to look for a list of symptoms on menopause and see what else applies to me from it. The top ones are my complaints that are driving me nuts and making me wonder....

~ a constant headache plagues me
~ light headed especially when changing positions
~ Hair loss ... its falling out all over the place. I am shedding like a puppy! UGH! I hate when this happens but my thyroid is good so I am told so why?
~ Mood swings/irritability I guess. I am sure my boys would say a big yes to that one!
~ increase of libido (the list of 36 symptoms I found says loss but mine is way up!) : -)
~ list says breast tenderness -- mine just feel like they are on fire.

So anyone have any thoughts??? Anyone else have feeling anything like this after surgery? Will it go away?
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Ovary Not Working??

Blue-moon rose,

I have the exact same symptoms except increased libido and hair loss. Perimenopause I thought... I had a hyster 4 years ago (kept ovaries). Now I need to have ovaries removed due to cysts. Told my doctor about my symptoms and she took blood to check my hormone levels and thyroid. Guess what? They are both normal? So, my symptoms cannot be explained by low hormone levels or ovary not working? I am currently reading about surgical menopause and my symptoms concur with perimenopause. What I haven't read about yet is can you have these symptoms and your hormone and thyroid levels be normal? Can the cysts be causing the symptoms? Can the absence of a uterus cause? Questions I don't have the answer to yet, but plan to ask if I see the doctor before my surgery...

For your symptoms, you should have your doctor check your hormone levels. The symptoms could be caused by a deficiency in hormones, even if you have one left, it may not be fully functioning. Since your thyroid is not the problem, that may be your problem... If your doctor says your levels are normal, then ask questions... one being, How can I have these symptoms if my thyroid and hormone levels are normal? Should I take HRT or natural alternatives to HRT?

Mine cannot be explained just yet, but since I will be having both ovaries removed, by choice, in a few weeks, I am not overly concerned as symptoms are manageable. I do plan on taking natural hormones, which have been discussed in other forums on this site. From the research I have done so far, the natural alternatives have had positive results in relieving symptoms (its just a matter of finding the right combination).

Hope you can find the cause of your symptoms and get help with relief. Just know you are not alone... God Bless!
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Ovary Not Working??

Rose -

I had my LSO on June 1st and at 2 weeks, I was miserable.

Hot Flashes from finger tips to forehead (not like the pink ups I had with my Lupron injection).
Night Sweats that have my DH sleeping in PJs and under a quilt while I insist the fan must stay on.
Queasy a lot of the time.
Random headaches, though mostly in the morning.

The list could go on. I asked Dr about this at 2 weeks, I thought she would put me on something. Instead she said this all was probably hormonal and that sometimes the remaining ovary doesn't know its alone (I am chuckling remembering the recent post a sister had saying she has this picture of her one remaining ovary looking around saying 'hello. Where did everybody go?') and hasn't yet started to compensate. She told me to give it 12 weeks. It is better than it was. I can still tell you everyday when it is 5:30 without a clock but the night madness is better. I still can't sleep until midnight or so but I am hopeful that will pass as well.

Best wishes to you and finding the answers you seek,

Julie
Unread 07-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Ovary Not Working??

I had all those exact symptoms/complaints for about 3 weeks after surgery. My dr. told me at one week that we'd "give it 4-6 weeks and see what happens".
I have no symptoms now other than vag dryness (which I already had before surgery) ... no PMS, no headaches, no extra-sensitivity, no hot flashes, nothing.
Hopefully yours will sort out soon, also!
Unread 07-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Blue Moon...

Thank you for starting this thread... I will be following it as I am waiting to see if my ovary is going to "kick in" as well. I have yet to experience any symptoms of "menopause" yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-moon rose
I am trying to figure this out. I have one ovary left and it is (was?) suppose to take over and supply me with hormones after surgery. My question is ... is it? And if so, How will I know? I also have thyroid issues (but those are under control) that can mimic some of the symptoms I am having. My periods were never regular but its been 5 wks since I had one 7 since last ovulating. Shouldn't I have done so by now? Well... I guess not for me as mine can come weekly or in 6 months. That was part of the problem. Anyways ... onto my list of complaints.

~ Hot Flashes - to the point where it feels like I am in a sauna. Usually only at night.
~ At times my face gets so flushed that my checks feel like they are on fire.
~ low grade fever associated with facial flushing
~ clamy -- usually in the morning after I have been up for a while. Then I am fine.
~ Icy hands and feet -- usually in early evening for a few hours then back to normal.
~ Lots of Gas. Sure.... when I wanted to have gas had nothing ... now it won't go away!
~ Tire easily. Do to surgery?
~ Very sensitive when normally I am not. I cry easily when I usually don't. Take offense to things that don't bother me.
~ Insomnia. Sometimes due to pain other times just because. I normally *HAVE* to sleep 8 hrs at a time or I get very ill. Now I am not sleeping more than 4 hrs a night (If I am lucky!) and not getting sick due to lack of sleep (Praise God!) but I still want to sleep!!!

hmm... hold on, I am going to look for a list of symptoms on menopause and see what else applies to me from it. The top ones are my complaints that are driving me nuts and making me wonder....

~ a constant headache plagues me
~ light headed especially when changing positions
~ Hair loss ... its falling out all over the place. I am shedding like a puppy! UGH! I hate when this happens but my thyroid is good so I am told so why?
~ Mood swings/irritability I guess. I am sure my boys would say a big yes to that one!
~ increase of libido (the list of 36 symptoms I found says loss but mine is way up!) : -)
~ list says breast tenderness -- mine just feel like they are on fire.

So anyone have any thoughts??? Anyone else have feeling anything like this after surgery? Will it go away?
Unread 07-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Ovary Not Working??

My symptoms didn't go away on there own. I have been on Premarin .0625 for three or four days now and feeling much better. I started to have more downs then ups and I called my dr and asked for something.

I am going to bed, falling asleep and actually staying asleep now. My moods have evened out. I can still feel it under the surface sometimes but its very mild compared to the start of the week. I no longer feel like napping all day and I have some energy back.

I don't know if my ovaries will kick back in or not. I hope so. dr told me to try Premarin for a month.
Unread 07-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Ovary Not Working??

Julie -- I am queasy as well and having cravings for things I never want. I am also losing weight but not too much.

lslaugh3 -- I cannot have HRT for a variety of reasons. So if this is menopause -- I have to learn to manage the symptoms on my own. The question then becomes how -- but that is another thread.

laughnowcrylatr -- night madness! I love that name for it it. Its exactly how I feel!!! 12 weeks really?? I am only 3 weeks out now ... that's 9 more weeks to go. Sigh....

Somewhere I read around here about sleeping ovary syndrome? Is that a possibility? What is it? What do I do until it wakes up and realizes its alone.
Unread 07-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Ovary Not Working??

I am ready to join the club.We could meet weeekly with no food, just nausea patches and fans and blankets. Oh and Kleenex, lots of Kleenex!!
I want to call my Dr and tell him to supplement me before I lose my mind. Why should I spend weeks recovering from symptoms that could be managed.
Who am I kidding I never have a backbone with that man!!!
I said the other night on another post that my best times of day are when I take percoset. Due to chronic pain I am very used to tylenol3s so percs aren't that bad. It is the only time of the day where I speak with sense, eat well and concentrate.
thinking of you all
Donna
Unread 07-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Ovary Not Working??

I'm right there with you.. just add migraines! Planning on asking the dr tomorrow. Here's hug!
Unread 07-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Ovary Not Working??

Quote:
Originally Posted by df323
I'm right there with you.. just add migraines! Planning on asking the dr tomorrow. Here's hug!
My migraines are different than these headaches. These might even be worse than my migraines. Its right above my right eye and feels like this throbbing pain that wraps around my head and squeezes. I have never felt anything like this before and I could really do without the experience!

Let me know what the dr says -- K!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.