HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Anal Sphincteroplasty Surgery- anyone? Anal Sphincteroplasty Surgery- anyone?

Unread 07-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Anal Sphincteroplasty Surgery- anyone?

Has anyone had a hysterctomy after having an anal sphincteroplasty? I am very nervous....
Unread 07-19-2007, 06:26 PM

love14-- to the PF & BI forum

You've already had a sphincteroplasty? I had that in conjunction with my rectocele repair, perineoplasty, mesh removal, and anterior colporrhaphy this past Feb. I have to say the sphincteroplasty was not very successful. I have consulted with a colorectal DR who wants to do it again on me only this DR has done an anal ultrasound and has seen exactly where the ends of the interanl sphincter muscle is and says she can do a better job than my UroGYN attempted to do. (I have a very good UroGYN--he was just not able to find the ends of the muscle to be able to do the full repair.)

What type of HYST does your DR want to do? Are you afraid the hysterectomy will somehow interfere with the previous work done for your sphincteroplasty? You need to ask your DR the questions that most concern you. It doesn't seem to me that a HYST would have anything to do normally with the anal area unless additional repair work were being done BUT be sure to ask your DR in case s/he has planned additional repairs for you.

Sending +++ thoughts and a few good vibes.......
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:10 AM

Sorry, I did not say much information. I had the anal sphincteroplasty done for fecal incontinence from the delivery of my son two years ago. I had a severe 4th tear needed extensive work to put back my external and internal sphincters. That has been very successful, but i am just now 8 weeks post op. But I am doing soooo much better and can hold it somewhat now.

I also have severe endo affecting my organs and intestines. I have been told there is not much any Dr can do but to attempt hysterectomy and continue with medicine. I was just wondering how the recovery was compared to the sphincteroplasty and how women are doing iwth both. I am just alittle nervous to have then done so close in time, but the Dr says it is okay.

Any experience? My hysterectomy is scheduled for Aug 28.
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:21 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that they want to do a abdominal and attempt to keep one ovary, but he is skeptical and will decide when he opens me up to find out how bad it has progressed.
Unread 07-20-2007, 10:04 AM

I don't know anything about anal sphyincteroplasty but I do know about endometriosis.

Are you ready for a hysterectomy? I mean, do you want more children?

Are they planning on excising the endo that is on your other organs? If not then it will continue to flare each time your remaining ovary gives off hormones.
Unread 07-22-2007, 07:23 AM

love 14,
I had my sphincter repaired many, many years ago and the muscle seems to be holding. I am glad to hear that you won't be having a TVH, I would worry about the repair you just had. Please discuss at length with your doctor what you should do to make sure you don't become constipated during your recovery, the anesthesia and pain medications can both make you constipated and you don't want that at all. I didn't have a TAH, but I've had several surgeries and the sphincter repair was the most painful of all, so I hope you find the same with your recovery. Also please know that endo isn't always cured by the hysterectomy and ovary removal - I hope that you are out of pain after all of this! Good Luck to you!
Unread 07-23-2007, 07:04 AM

Thank you for your replies. I have been reading alot about endo and treatments and all sorts of studies. Thank God the library is free. I am a little worried about the endo in my colon. That scares me now. But I am done with having children. I was told to not have children after my sphincteroplasty surgery and we have settled on one. I am glad to hear the sphincteroplasty hurt worse than the hysterectomy. Mine had alot of pain as well. I am really nervous now.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.