HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vaginal Hysterectomy with bladder issues Vaginal Hysterectomy with bladder issues

Unread 07-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Vaginal Hysterectomy with bladder issues

I had a complete hysterectomy vaginally on July 12th. Also, sling put on my urethra to control leaking. Well, I came through it well, no pain, a little tired but no more than expected. My problem is that when the uterus came out the bladder slid back into its correct position. I have not been able to completely empty it since then. It has been 11 days and I have been using a catheter. My doctor keeps telling me that it is not outside of normal that there is inflammation, swelling, etc. and that it will pass. It has been 11 days...has anyone else experienced this? I have check up tomorrow and I want answers from them, but maybe i am not asking the correct questions...can anyone help? Anyone experienced this? I wanted a better quallity of life not less quality!
Any assistance or guidance is appreciated!
LavistaLady
Unread 07-23-2007, 06:10 PM

well. There are several of us that have experienced this.
I am 6 weeks post op and having the same trouble. I never had retention prior to surgery and have had retention since surgery. It's been really hard and painful. I've been on several kinds of medications and nothing seems to be working. I see the urologist again in 2 weeks. He may need to go in via surgery to make some adjustments. I did find out @ my 6 weeks post op check up with the GYN that I do have a bladder infection and am on antibiotics for that. I was told that I would have another urinalysis at the urologists office to make sure that the bladder infection is gone. They are hoping that the retention improves when the infection is gone. I have problems with bladder spasms as well, and pain (throbbing) in the left groin area. I've had that pain since the day of surgery. Sometimes I have to take prescription pain pills for that as motrin really does nothing to help that. I am not sure if that is from the sling being too tight or not?
Unread 07-24-2007, 07:41 AM

Thanks for your reply wondernurse. I have my 2 week check up today...I am so discouraged I want to cry which makes it even harder because my DH is a worrier. Good luck with clearing up the bladder infection. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Anyone else have this problem and have success in getting past it?
Pam
Unread 07-24-2007, 07:47 AM

Ladies--

I am so sorry you are having this bladder retention problem. It is definitely NOT FUN.

Sometimes, it is post-op swelling that causes this. Sometimes, it is the fact that the sling is in 'too tight' or that there is too much scar tissue building up around it. Sometimes it is something else all together. When it's caused by the sling, then often a surgical procedure does need to be done. Usually, it is outpatient. You won't know until certain tests are done or until your DR decides after waiting a certain amount of time for your bladder to start functioning. It all depends on your particular DR (or DRs) and your bladder.

There have been some ladies here who've had to self-cath for a period of several weeks or who've had to have a catheter for several weeks. [You can do a search for "catheter" or "self-cath" to find older threads if you are interested.]

I do hope both of you soon find the help you need AND especially that your bladders start working ASAP ....
Unread 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM

I just thought you might be interested to know.

Today over the hospital they told me that the new train of thought it NOT to teach self cathing at all ( yikes) if a women goes into retention now after surgery they have a short 2 day window and they are now taking them back down and pulling on the sling/tape, releasing it staright after the initial surgery rather than making the women self cath for months on end...apparently this method is showing better results than leaving them.

nnodg
Unread 07-25-2007, 02:56 PM

well, that may explain why they didn't give me that option at all. I was sent home with a foley in place, removed on day 7 I believe. Still had troubles with retention...and at 4 1/2 weeks begged my URO to let me do my own self cath. Being a nurse, they didn't teach me a thing, they just had the cath in a bag for me to pick up at the reception desk.

I can't wait to go back in 2 weeks. I need something done. This is ridiculous.
Unread 07-25-2007, 03:25 PM

I did not have a sling or self cath, but noticed that I feel like I have rention. I have also noticed that if I do not drink more during the day my symptoms are worse at night. I typically do not drink the recommended 8 glasses a day anyways so any amount of fluids is great. Try drinking more, without gorging on fluids. The bladder spasms, rention feeling and painful urination will ease....just my experience.
Unread 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM

i drink like crazy, and I pee like crazy, and retain like crazy. I have been keeping strict intake and output records for my uro...I showed them to my GYN and he says they are very detailed! and said that based on this, it does appear that my sling is too tight. We shall see what the uro says.
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:02 PM
sounds famuliar

I had my hyster one year ago and no sling of any type been dealing iwth the bladder issues for sometime dr with my gyn but i am going to a urologst Aug 20 beause it is getting old my bladder does not feel empty and i leak a little.
Unread 07-26-2007, 05:09 PM

I came home with a foley and had it in for 10 days and was training my bladder by clamping off the hose starting with 20 minutes clamped 5-10 min. release and was suppose to build up to 2-4 hours clamped by 10th day. I had built up to 1 1/2 hours but got a UTI around the 7th day and could not clamp the hose any longer than 15 min. so I stopped. I went to the dr and she filled my bladder to see how much I could release that would determine whether I would get the foley put back in or not. I did'nt release enough and she wanted to put the foley back in. I became very upset (crying emotinionally) and told her I could not put that thing back in. I was not able to sleep at nights, it was hurting and making me feel sick, it was torture for me especially after I developed the UTI. She had compassion and sent me home with a catherter, that was July 13th. This past Sunday I started dribbling a little pee then yesterday more started coming out and today more but I do still have to cath my self. I am still unable to empty my bladder on my own without help from the cath, but thank God there is progress. From many of the blogs I've been reading--it takes time and patience. Hang in there and be patient, it will happen.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.