HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

TMI! Leaking Stool When Passing Gas TMI! Leaking Stool When Passing Gas

Unread 07-25-2007, 08:50 PM
TMI! Leaking Stool When Passing Gas

Today was my two year Hysterversary! When I reflect on the past 2 years I have a hard time finding anything positive about all this. Oh yeah, I don't have periods anymore.
I have a new development. For the past few days I've been having a problem controlling gas and have had a few episodes of leakage of stool when I do pass gas. Now I'm afraid to poop!! I've stopped taking Colace completely.
I've also wet myself every morning for the past 3 mornings. I feel like I have no control when I get out of bed.
Any suggestions why this has suddenly gotten worse and what I should do?
Michelle
Unread 07-26-2007, 06:35 AM

Michelle,
I have leaked stool many, many times over the years - it seems that certain foods that I eat make my stools more loose and that causes it to become watery. But all and all, I still need help making it soft enough not to have to push it out (because pushing doesn't work for me). I can't control gas at all anymore and I am afraid to try rectal kegals after the uro/gyn told me that doing them could make the pelvic floor spasms worse. This is really hard, the only thing that has really saved me is that I start the day empty - if I couldn't do that, I wouldn't leave the house. I used to keep a change of clothes and wipes in the car for an emergency (oh and a trash bag) - how humiliating! Good Luck to you!
Also do you mean that you are also leaking urine in the mornings? If so, that is a new thing too - sigh. Maybe you can keep a poise pad next to the bed to put in place just in case you don't make it to the bathroom. I sure hope this is a temporary problem for you. Hugs to you my friend.
Unread 07-26-2007, 08:05 PM

Thanks Bowlinggrl
Yes, I wouldn't exactly call it leaking in the morning, it's an all out flood as I walk down the stairs to the bathroom. I usually go to bed at 11PM and wake up at 3AM to use the bathroom and I can make it ok. Then I get up for the day at 6AM, that's when I can't make it to the bathroom without wetting myself. What amazes me is that I can go at 3AM with no accident, four hours after using the bathroom, so why can't I make it three hours later at 6AM?
The leaking stool however, happens at any time of the day. I'm getting so I know when I can pass gas safely and when I will leak. It's a very strange feeling that I get. Before I leak it sort of feels like there's a lot of pressure and the stool is sitting right there. Other times there's no pressure and I feel totally empty so I know it's safe to pass gas.
I bumped into Dr Wonderful today at the hospital. I had a chance to talk to him about his brief correspondence with the Uro/Gyn. Seems like everything is on hold until after the bariatric surgery. Unless the symptoms worsen and then the Uro/Gyn said he could perform a very simple surgery just to tack everything back into place until after my weight loss is stable. Then they will perform the abdominal prolapse repair. He did say if I had that simple preliminary surgery it would be like putting a bandaid on an open wound, ok for now but not for the long term.
Michelle
Unread 07-27-2007, 06:35 AM

Michelle,
That is odd that you only leak urine in the morning...... I would keep a super poise pad by the bed and stick it between your legs and try to get to the bathroom without having and accident. How annoying!
I sneezed this morning before I got out of bed and leaked some bm - I hadn't been up yet and had the urge to go yet - how gross is that. I'm trying to be paitient waiting for the new answer on the PT. Keep us updated as to how you are doing. Hugs.
Unread 07-27-2007, 07:32 AM
TMI-- for those who don't have this problem....

Michelle--

I'm sorry you are having this yucky problem now, too. I despise having it myself. My UroGYN said that damage to the anal sphincter muscle can show up over 20 years later. Did you ever have an epiosotomy or forceps delivery? I did with my 1st child (who is now 23+ years old). My ObGYN did a 4th degree epiosotomy AND forceps delivery with him. I also had and epiosotomy with my 3rd child. After that, the philosophy changed in the 90's to just let things happen more naturally and I never had one again. <sigh> Hindsight always seems to be 20/20.

My UroGYN said that it's usually damage to the sphincter muscle(s) that causes the stool to leak. There is an internal and an external sphincter muscle. When the damage is recent, they apparently can both be repaired. When it's of long term duration, only the internal one has any chance of being repaired. That's what the colorectal DR wants to do on me (when I finally get myself psyched up for it).

My colorectal DR said that to repair it, they overlap the ends of the internal sphincter muscle to recreate the circular 'os' to prevent the leakage of the solid stool. The repair usually doesn't prevent leakage of gas or liquid stool. She said she's had only 1 patient who's ever had success with controlling gas after this surgery.

I don't know what could be causing your urinary incontinence in the am, though. Have you possibly been drinking more caffeine than normal or taking decongestants? Anything that might cause irritation to the bladder (esp. at night) could be suspicious culprits. Chocolate or other foods, drinks, or meds like that that can irritate are the first things that come to mind. I personally have cut WAY back on anything that contain caffeine and it has helped me quite a bit. I'm also wary of decongestants and things that have a high vitamin C content. You can't be too careful sometimes.

Hope you find some relief ASAP. Sending a few positive vibes to you today.............
Unread 07-27-2007, 08:56 AM

Michelle - I am sorry to hear of your situation. You have a lot on your plate right now. I hope you find ways to help some of your issues until you are able to complete the surgery. Sometimes we just have to get through the day any way we can. Hugs to you!

Cheri
Unread 07-27-2007, 11:28 AM

Michelle,
I'm also sorry you are having to go through all this. I sure can relate to the passing gas and soiling. That was before my surgery. Everything okay so far. Could you have a UTI maybe? That will cause urgency and possible leaking, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't happen at 3am. I hope this stops soon for you!
Jen
Unread 07-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Oh my gawd!!! This has been happening to me for the last 3 weeks! I bring extra undies and pants with me. It is so bad sometimes. I even sleep in a different room to spare my DH. What type of DR do I see for this? I had the largest degree tear 17 years ago and had to have a bladder lift at the age of 24!
Unread 07-27-2007, 11:54 AM

Schedule an appt. w/your regular MD for a urine check up. If you have been incontinent x 3 days, chances are it is nothing more than a bladder infection. As to the loose stool...I am curious as to why you are still taking Colace 2 years post hyst? Stop the Colace,, it is working too well..
Hugs
Unread 07-27-2007, 10:32 PM

Thanks everyone. It really hadn't occurred to me to suspect a UTI because I haven't had any pain with urinating, no frequency, no abdominal pain. My diet hasn't changed any and I always limit caffeine. My Gyn is on vacation next week so on Monday I'll check my own urine at my office.

OrahDeb, why would you take a chance on sphincter surgery when the results don't seem to be in your favor? If the surgery only has less than 1% chance of controlling gas and doesn't prevent leakage of liquid stool why would you put yourself through this?
I have had 1 episiotomy for my first baby and a tear for my third. I started having trouble controlling gas after this last surgery. Up until the past week or so I wasn't leaking any stool. This is a new thing.

Miss Pear,
I am still taking Colace 2 years after the surgery because since the hysterectomy I have had 3 more prolapse related surgeries. Right now I'm dealing with persistent rectal pain, global prolapse and internal intussuception. Having a BM feels like pushing out ground glass so I have to keep the stool soft. Now I've found that diarrhea will cause rectal spasms that will last for days. Just can't seem to win. I have found the right times to take the Colace and know when I need to back off.

Sometimes I wonder if I should ask the Uro/Gyn to perform that simple preliminary surgery to see if I might get lucky and have a few pain free days in the future. But the thought of anticipating having yet another surgery and knowing I will have to face another more major repair later has me thinking I really won't be gaining anything in the short term.
Michelle

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.