HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Trigger Point Injection ??? PLEASE? Trigger Point Injection ??? PLEASE?

Unread 07-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Question - Trigger Point Injection ??? PLEASE? Trigger Point Injection ??? PLEASE?

Saw my urogyn today for my bladder instillation. Asked him about the pelvic floor/rectal pain I've had. He did a very uncomfortable exam to see where it hurt and then did a pudendal nerve block with local anesthesia and some trigger point injections as well. He said if this doesn't work, he'll need to add steroids to the next batch. Has anyone had both and is there a difference with the steroid versus without? And are the ones with the steroids more painful?
Unread 07-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Trigger Point Injection ??? PLEASE?

Diverchick,
Your injection was most likely Lidocaine, which is a temporary anesthetic. It may be just enough to calm the Pudendal Nerves. Adding steroid to the Lidocaine may give you longer lasting relief to help the inflammation and irritability of the pelvic floor muscles. And yes, the injection with steroid hurts more than the bee sting of a Lidocaine injection.
I have had 5 bilateral Pudendal Nerve injections, they're no fun but tolerable.
Michelle
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:47 AM

Thanks Michelle! I think he used Marcaine, which I know will last somewhat longer, but not a lot. Just one question, how much MORE painful is a steroid injection? I could handle the marcaine, not so sure with the steroid if need be. 5 blocks you had? YIKES! How much relief did they provide? Did they have the steroids or just the local? Thanks again! How are things going with your plans for everything?
Unread 07-28-2007, 10:32 PM

Diverchick, everyone's pain tolerance is different. I've had 3 of those Pudendal Nerve Blocks done in the office and 2 while in surgery. It is more painful with the steroid in the injection but how much more is relative. Was it the worst thing I've ever experienced? No but I sure squeeze DH's hand awfully hard, hold my breath and see stars.
Sadly for me there has been no relief. My injections were the local and the steroid together.
Michelle

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway