HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

sore hard vein at IV site?? sore hard vein at IV site??

Unread 07-27-2007, 12:03 PM
sore hard vein at IV site??

I am 10 days (already!!) post-op and my IV site is still sore. I noticed last night that it is very hard for about an inch or so where the needle ended under the skin just at the wrist. Its not red or hot so I am not too concerened as far as infection goes....just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on themselves before?
Unread 07-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Sore Vein

This happened to me for the first time (and I've had many surgeries) this week. I was re-admitted for pain and the IV team did not come in time to put in the IV for the CT scan.

So the CT scan guy did it. OOOOOuuuch! Then they left it in 'cause they didn't want to put in a new IV. The thing hurt more and more and finally it started to bleed. They took it out and all week it's been hard and sore with a deep kind of pain.

The CT guy had mentioned some kind of vein-thing from having too many IV's over the years...like they get hard and and scarred or something?

I'm gonna bring it up and my Doc appt next week if it's still hurting.

Just so you know you're not alone...
Unread 07-27-2007, 12:51 PM

Mine infiltrated the night after surgery. I'm still sore from my wrist clear up to my elbow from the IV. I can't even lightly touch the vein w/o it hurting. The swelling finally went down last week.
Unread 07-27-2007, 01:19 PM

Mine also infiltrated the next day after my surgery. I have what looks like a bubble on top of the skin where my IV was. It hurts if I bump or touch it. I go back to the doc next week and am going to ask if it's still hurting. I'm 3 weeks post-op today and didn't think it would still be hurting after this long.
Unread 07-27-2007, 02:26 PM

cherryblossom67

I also had a hard lump at the site of the IV and was told it was superficial phlebitis ~ inflammation of the vein. It appears to be quite common. If you try a forum search (click right of the main page of this forum) on the subject, you'll find lots of posts. I think it was about 2-3 months before mine finally disappeared.

I hope your recovery is going well. Take care!

Unread 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM

I'm a July17th sister tooo, and I also have the sore hard lump at the IV site. I think it's normal.....
Unread 07-27-2007, 02:43 PM

mine infiltrated day after surgery as well....still sore from elbow down to wrist....even hurts to slightly bump....I am 16 days since surgery....so guessing this must be normal.
Unread 07-28-2007, 05:30 AM

Thanks for all the great input, take care all!!
Unread 07-29-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryblossom67
I am 10 days (already!!) post-op and my IV site is still sore. I noticed last night that it is very hard for about an inch or so where the needle ended under the skin just at the wrist. Its not red or hot so I am not too concerened as far as infection goes....just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on themselves before?
It sounds like you IV infiltrate, which is to say the fluid got under the skin and you had some bleeding. The body usually absorbs the fluid and it does get better. Try applying a warm compress to your hand for a few hrs, not too hot that you burn. If you notice any increase in swelling,pain reddness or if your skin looks like someone beat it with a bat, then you need to call you DR. Try to warm compresses, if that does not help try cool compresses.

Thumper
Unread 07-29-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyjinvegas
I'm a July17th sister tooo, and I also have the sore hard lump at the IV site. I think it's normal.....
It is not "normal" to have a lump at the IV site, it is common. It happens sometimes when the plastic cannula that is in the vein comes out and there is fluid and bleeding into or around the site. Try warm compresses to the site or cool compresses. Elevated your arm. Monitor the site for any color changes, redness, increased sorness.
Thumper

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.