HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Do fibroids come back? Do fibroids come back?

Unread 08-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Do fibroids come back?

A friend of mine who is totally into all this holistic healing right now, told me that her "doctor" told her that fibroids need to be treated differently than with surgery because otherwise they'll come back. Has anyone had any experience with fibroids coming back anywhere else on/in their bodies once they've had a hysterectomy?
Unread 08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Do fibroids come back?

THEY better NOT! I can't imagine them being able to grow once the uterus is gone, but I'm not certain.

I believe if only the fibroid is removed then yes, they can grow back.

I'll be really angry if I have fibroid that ends up growing my arm, leg, face or ANYwhere else!
Unread 08-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Do fibroids come back?

Hi Penny1964,

I had a LSH for my fibroids.

From what I understand, a hyst is the most definitive way to get rid of fibroids completely. With an alternate procedure such as a UFE, there is a chance that fibroids can grow back.

Also, if the cervix is retained with the ovaries after surgery, I read on Hyster Sisters that there can be a very slight chance of fibroids re-growing on the cervix. Fibroids are estrogen-fed little devils. I personally do not know of any post-op fibroid ladies w/ cervix who have had that happen in post-op.

I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and that has helped me not to have any mini-periods or any chance of fibroid regrowth. My fibroids are outta here!!!!!!!!

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 08-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Do fibroids come back?

Yes, fibroids can and probably will definitely grow back--unless you remove the uterus. I had a myomectomy (where they "carve" fibroids off the uterus) many years ago and within less than five years after the surgery they were back.
Unread 08-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Do fibroids come back?

Note to self, have cervix cauterized. I would have never thought they would grow there. I knew they were estrogen fed but didn't have a clue they had a chance of growing somewhere else!

Great info!
Unread 08-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Do fibroids come back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisol52
Yes, fibroids can and probably will definitely grow back--unless you remove the uterus. I had a myomectomy (where they "carve" fibroids off the uterus) many years ago and within less than five years after the surgery they were back.
I had to fight with my insurance company to NOT have a myomectomy! They wanted me to do another uterine biopsy, a D & C, a myomectomy and try Novasure BEFORE they would auth my hysterectomy. I couldn't believe they would put me thru four procedure rather than auth the one that would for sure work!
Unread 08-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Do fibroids come back?

Hi there - the one thing I've wondered is even though my uterus has been removed (thus removing all the fibroids), my body could still be producing too much estrogen. Are there any other side effects/future problems from estrogen dominance that could occur other than fibroids post-surgery?

Any thoughts...
Unread 08-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Do fibroids come back?

Well, I have fibrocystic breasts and have read that sometimes that can be the result of estrogen dominance (as can be fibroids). So perhaps too much estrogen might impact breast health somehow?
Unread 08-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Do fibroids come back?

I had myomectomy 10 or 11 years ago for a few major size fibriods. I ended up growing a lot more huge fibroids after that surgery. Now with no uterus or cervix I am finally done with fibroids.

I specifically took the cervix so there woulld be no chance for more.
Unread 08-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Do fibroids come back?

Penny1964

Fibroids don't just grow inside the uterus, they can also grow outside and on the cervix. Removal of the uterus only is not a guarantee that fibroids will never regrow. The ovaries produce the hormones that feed fibroids.

My one and only enormous fibroid was growing off my cervix. I still have my cervix and ovaries, and so there is a slim chance of a fibroid regrowing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I do remember one thread where fibroid growth was confirmed post-hysterectomy: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=296627.

Try not to worry about it too much as it appears to be very unusual.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.