HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Procedure on 6/7 Procedure on 6/7

Unread 07-01-2001, 09:00 PM
Procedure on 6/7

Hello, ladies. I am 49, single, live alone on the third floor of a condo (without an elevator), and had a total hysterectomy on 6/7/01. The surgery went well and I was released from the hospital on 6/9. Although I was instructed not to drive, an emergency came up and I was forced to drive the following week after my surgery. (I have not returned to work). Since then, I've had intermittent abdominal pains and uncomfortable pressure on my bladder. Also, in the past week, I've started to spot. I made an appointment to see the doctor who performed my operation. Unfortunately, she's on vacation and her physician's assistant (PA) saw me. I had a urinalysis done, and it was detected that I have blood in my urine. I was put on an antibiotic for 14 days. The PA also did an internal "scope" and determined that everything looked ok. I have a post-op appointment to see my gynecologist on 7/12.

I am trying to take it as easy as possible. However, I find that I cannot avoid certain things like grocery shopping, taking care of my cats, walking up stairs, etc., etc.

Do you think that the spotting/pains are something I should be alarmed about? Do you think I should see my doctor before my 7/12 appointment? Or do you think it's caused by my overdoing things a bit? What, in your estimation, are the "do's and don'ts" at this point of my recovery?

Thanks for your help!
Unread 07-01-2001, 09:15 PM
Procedure on 6/7

Hi...

It sounds to me like you're already alarmed, which in and of itself is a good reason to talk with your doctor. That's what they're there for, and you shouldn't worry in silence when he/she can either ease your fears by telling you everything is OK -- or find out what is wrong and help you fix it.

Spotting and pain happen during the first six weeks for so many reasons -- most of the time it's a normal part of the healing process. But it could also be that you are doing too much. You really should take it as easy as possible -- I understand that's hard to do when you're living alone, but try as hard as you can to put your feet up and rest, rest, rest.

Now is the time to call on all of your friends, family, neighbors -- everyone you can -- to help you. You only have one chance to heal.

Call your doctor and tell him/her what you said here ... see what he/she suggests -- whether or not you should go in for an earlier visit, or what.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs, Laura
Unread 07-01-2001, 11:19 PM
Procedure on 6/7

I agree with Laura about calling upon all loved ones to help you at this time. you do only have one chance to heal properly, and this is it!

Of course, follow your Dr's restrictions, but I would avoid too much bending, lifting, pushing, pulling, and reaching for awhile, as much as is possible.

My very best to you...

Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.