HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Dysplasia????? Dysplasia?????

Unread 08-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Dysplasia?????

Hello everyone
I went for my pap smear about 2 weeks ago and now I just received a letter that says I have a mild Dysplasia. What exactly is that? I made a called and left a message with the front desk so my DR can return my call and explaian, however maybe someone will be able to explain were I can understad better then how he would explain to me.
Anything would be helpful.
Unread 08-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Dysplasia?????

Hi Mija: I am sorry that you are now going through this. I am going to guess that they left your cervix when you had your hysterectomy. If they removed your cervix, dysplasia can still appear on your vaginal cuff. Dysplasia means precancerous changes in the cells of your cervix. Mild dysplasia may go away on its own and your Dr. may take a wait and see approach. If your dysplasia progresses and you still have your cervix, then your Dr. may want to perform a LEEP or cone biopsy. If you do not have a cervix then laser vaperation surgery seems to be the treatment. You should ask your Dr. if you have HPV and what strain it is. The high risk strains of HPV cause cervical cancer. I hope this helps a little. I have been down that road and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I wish you the best of luck and send your way!
Unread 08-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Dysplasia?????

Definitely ask your doctor if you have HPV. If you do and you still have your cervix, I would recommend a colposcopy. A year ago my pap found "mild dysplasia" which would have normally meant no further treatment, just a recheck in three months. However, I tested positive for the cancer causing strain of HPV so they decided to do the colposcopy "just in case." Well, the colposcopy showed "moderate to severe" dysplasia and I was scheduled for a LEEP, which eventually showed "severe dysplasia."

The good thing is that ANY dysplasia is very simple to have taken care of. You just want to be on top of it so that you can get rid of those bad cells before they morph into something worse.

Best of luck!
Unread 08-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Dysplasia?????

(((Mija)))

What did you have your hysterectomy for last year? I noticed you have other posts about previously having radiation.

Dysplasia is another word for abnormal cells (it's actually intraepithelial neoplasia). When you have mild dysplasia, that means that fewer than 1/2 of your cells in the "skin" of your cervix are abnormal. So, anywhere from a few cells to approximately 1/3 of cells are judged to be abnormal in appearance. Most cases of mild dysplasia disappear on their own, however, it is very important that you continue to followup closely with your doctor. S/he may recommend an immediate colposcopy, or simply a re-PAP. Some docs will have you come back in 3 months and do a re-PAP.

Many things can give you an abnormal PAP reading. An infection, intercourse within 48 hours of the smear, thinning of the vaginal tissues--lots of things. If for any reason you had radiation due to a gyn related issue, well, I know several women who always had abnormal PAP's after their radiation for other female cancers.

Sometimes an abnormal PAP is caused by HPV (human papillomavirus). HPV is a very common virus passed between sexual partners. Many docs request that an HPV test is done if a PAP reading is abnormal. You might like to ask your gyn is such a request was made.

I hope your abnormal PAP turns out to be nothing to worry about! Please keep us posted!

Unread 08-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Dysplasia?????

Thanks to everyone that helped me understand what Dysplasia is. My DR told me that it is not anything to worry about just to follow up with him in four months.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.