HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Price of Compounded Progesterone Price of Compounded Progesterone

Unread 08-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Price of Compounded Progesterone

Hello,
Could someone tell me if the compounded progesterone and testosterone expensive and does insurance pay for it?

Does a special doctor have to write the prescription or can my regular doctor?
Unread 08-05-2007, 01:58 PM

Hi!

It can be expensive--prices do vary from pharmacy to pharmacy so it may be wise to call around to find the best price. Insurance coverage varies as well so you'll need to call your insurance company to find out if it is covered or not. My insurance company does cover it so I pay just the co-pay each time I get my prescription filled.

Without insurance I think the testosterone I use would run around $40. Since I don't use that much of it, the jar has more than enough to last the six months my pharmacist said is the shelf life. With insurance it's a bargain but even without insurance that price would be well worth it to me. I have no idea how much my progesterone would cost without insurance. Hopefully someone else will be along to share how much she pays for it out-of-pocket.

Any doctor can write the prescriptions for compounded hormones. If your doctor is willing to write the prescriptions and doesn't know how, a compounding pharmacist can guide him/her through the process.

I hope this helps!

s
Unread 08-05-2007, 02:03 PM

April Dawn,
Yes this really helps, I go to my regular DR in two weeks and I will ask him about it.

Also I noticed that you take the Vivelle Dot and Vagifem. I also am taking these. My question is have you had a problem with weight gain while on these. I have read that if I have to much estrogen without the progesterone this is the problem with weight gain. That once the progesterone is added that weight goes down. Have you had any experience with this?

Cybernana
Unread 08-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Your regular doctor can write the prescription, but I think it is best if you find a doctor who is knowledgeable about hormones. That is, if your regular doctor is not.

I have found that it pays to shop around when it comes to prices at compounding pharmacies. Some are very expensive, while others are very moderate. I used the same pharmacy for years, than she closed up shop so I had to find another pharmacy. I had my doctor's nurse call around and was quoted a high of $300 and a low of $18 for one script.

I currently pay $20 for my progesterone, $32 for my bi est and $40 for my testosterone. All my scripts do last me longer than 30 days, so it's fairly economical when compared with regular scripts from my regular pharmacy.

I have also had varying results with insurance. As I have been thru several insurance companies in my 8 years using the compounded hormones, some have covered them, some have not. Currently they are not covered, but has they would be considered a brand name med, I am not paying anymore than I would be if they were covered.

This site www.iacprx.org is very helpful when it comes to researching the compounded hormones and finding a pharmacy near you.

Unread 08-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Kim M,

I am just learning about this. So depending on which hormones I need their will be a separate applications. Say estrogen, progesterone, etc. Are each applied the same way?
Unread 08-05-2007, 05:55 PM

Yes, each hormone can be a different application if you so choose. I happen to do well with a cream form of all hormones, but that doesn't mean that will work for you. If you're doing well with your current form of estrogen but are finding something to be missing, than adding some progesterone to your current hrt cocktail may be the missing ingredient for you.
Unread 08-05-2007, 06:25 PM

Kim M

Thank you for the information. So if the Vivelle Dot is providing enough estrogen and I just need additional hormones like testosterone or progesterone I would just use those as cream depending on what I need and keep using the Vivelle Dot?

I think I understood that the Vivelle Dot is a bioidentical nor synthetic?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway