HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Hemotobin...TVH complications Hemotobin...TVH complications

Unread 08-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Hemotobin...TVH complications

I had a TVH and bladder sling on Tuesday, 07/17/07. I was told I could leave the hospital the next day but told them I wanted to stay another day because I was not keeping food in. So first thing Thursday morning I was discharged so that they could open up some much needed beds. Plus I found out that my surgeon was moving away two weeks early and would not be available for my 2 week post-op.

That next night (Friday) I was running a fever of 104 and spoke to the OB/GYN doctor on the phone. He told me that if it continued to come into ER. So that is where I ended up and the ER doctor did a pelvic exam and blood culture. Three hours later I was informed that I had an infection, was given an antibotic for ten days.

To add to the whole mess of losing my surgeon, the doctor covering her patients blew out his knee and I was told that they were way understaffed. I was told that I could see my normal family doctor for the post-op.

So at my two week post-op check up (last Tuesday), I mentioned a sharp pain on my lower right hand side and increased bleeding. I was told I could go back to work as I could tolerate it part-time, keep to my 10# restrictions and come back in one week if the bleeding continued. I was also informed that she would be having a baby any day and was given a different doctor to see for my 4 week checkup or if problems should arise. Nothing like being passed around, which I am finding out is big problem.

Well, I didn't make it to Tuesday to call them because I was in so much pain on Saturday evening and started another fever, along with a toilet full of blood. I went to ER room and was transfered to another hospital (where I had my surgery). It was arranged that when I arrived I would I meet with OB/GYN doctor from a different clinic. After a pelvic exam and ultrasound, he said I had a hemotobin that was pushing on my right overy (this explains this pain). He admitted me immediately to the hospital again. He had me on an IV and I was administered three different antibotics through the IV individually for 36 hours every 3 hours....so pretty much an antibotic every hour. I have defininatly had my share of antibotics and my arm is swollen / sore from the IV and all the stuff put in. Dr sent me home with two more antibotic to take orally. He has been really nice to work with.

Next week I have another ultrasound and a recheck with this same doctor. I told him that I was feeling lost through the unfortunate circumstances of losing all my previous doctors and just wanted someone that would see me through to the end.

Now that you kinda know my situation...even though it has not been a good one...three ER visits, two hospitals stays and an office visit.

I was told to still expect the bleeding for a bit. I will be back in surgery to drain the blood if it doesn't drain on its own and/or reabsorbed into my body. I asked if this was from over doing it and was told no that unfortunately it is a complication that can happen.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Or knows more about a hemotobin...I can't seem to find much out when I research it.
Unread 08-07-2007, 07:43 PM

Hello,
I am so sorry for your lousy experiences! It's bad enough to go through surgery without being tossed around like that and having complications. I wonder if you mean you have a hematoma? That could explain the excess bleeding and all. A hematoma is an area where blood collects, like when you have a large bruise, and it can happen internally too. Anyway hope this helps,
Libby
Unread 08-07-2007, 07:43 PM

I think it is actually called a hematoma. There have been other threads on this on the site. I think that you can do a thread search. It is unfortunate that you had such a rough time and I cannot imagine having to go through so many dr. That would be so discouraging. It sounds like the new GYN is on top of things. Im glad that you are getting another ultrasound. From what I have read on the other post it seems like the dr. choose to wait a little while and see if it reabsorbs or drains(like your dr. said) Sounds like yours in draining. I would just be careful you dont start bleeding too much.
I really hope you feel better soon! Sorry for your rough time!
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Please keep us posted!
HUGS!!
Unread 08-07-2007, 10:17 PM

You ladies are correct...I should have typed hematoma...no wonder we didn't find much on the search engine. WebMd does give some information...seems like I am part of the 6% chance. I can't wait to be back to normal and off of this emotional train. Thanks for your help
Unread 08-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Wow, Copper. I am so sorry to hear about your complications. You can ask for a copy of your medical report and use that as a springboard for doing some of your own online research. They should be able to give you copies of your tests and lab results. Be persistent since they might forget. If you can go pick them up rather than have them mailed to you via snail-mail, that wouls expeditite things for you.
Good luck. I really hope the worst is behind you and now you can move forward with a more postive experience.
Cathy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.