HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

shampoo before surgery shampoo before surgery

Unread 08-11-2007, 12:39 PM
shampoo before surgery

I am suppose to shampoo my hair before surgery. This is so hair spray or bacteria will not contaminate me. If I have a beautician shampoo and set my hair the day before is that too soon. Plan to have it done in the morn and surgery will be the next morn. I know this is a stupid question.

Thanks
Unread 08-11-2007, 01:23 PM
shampoo before surgery

I'm not sure. But I would think that if the doctor requested that you shampoo your hair before surgery, he probably meant the day of the surgery. But you should really check with your doctor to be sure.
Unread 08-11-2007, 03:33 PM
shampoo before surgery

Has anyone else been told to do this? Wondering how you have handled it.
Unread 08-11-2007, 03:46 PM
shampoo before surgery

There's no such thing as a stupid question. I was told to shampoo my hair the morning of surgery and not to use any hair products, including hairspray. I just washed my hair as usual and then dried it with my blow dryer. I don't think I did much styling to it since I was going to surgery.

Be sure to ask your doctor to be sure.

s, Deb
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:12 PM
shampoo before surgery

I was told to shampoo my hair the morning of & to use NO products of any kind. I'm not sure about the validity but a nurse (I can't remember where) said that it has something to do with the high alcohol content of styling products & the flammability factor that comes with that. I guess there could be some stuff in the OR that could react with it. Like I said, I don't know the level of fact in this. I saw the alcohol thing on here, too. Like the other girls have suggested, I'd check with your doc.

Best wishes,
Sue
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:18 PM
shampoo before surgery

My Dr.s office gave me a bottle of Hybiclens anti bacterial soap and I am to wash 3 days prior to surgery up until they day of my surgery. I am using that soap as shampoo as well. I was told that it helps fight any bacteria.
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:36 PM
shampoo before surgery

My doc didn't say anything about shampooing or hair products. My surgery was late in the day, I did shower/shampoo that day, but I also used gel and hairspray. No problems here! When the time came, they just put the beautiful blue hair net thingy on me and wheeled me away. Docs were much more concerned over my food intake than hair.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:53 PM
shampoo before surgery

i was told to shampoo and use No products, especially hairspray! The reason I assume is that it has alcohol and it is flamable and the Oxygen they have you on during the surgery is also, I am sure it is a fire hazard you don't want to test! If you cannot just shampoo and go, and worry about what you will look like while in the hospital you can pick up a cute wig and toss it on when you are feeling better on day two! Bring a hair turban or scarf or headband for while you are down for the first four or five days. If you usually have your hair done, I would give thought to a cute wig, I bought one for about 25 dollars.
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM
shampoo before surgery

Wasn't told any of that, but I will tell you to get as clean as you can going in, since you won't be able to shower or shampoo for days.

Don't know that I would spend the money to get my hair done before, but if it makes you feel better...I just shampooed and braided with non-metal bands.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.