HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Closed Thread

Need some opinions: PMDD Need some opinions: PMDD

Unread 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Need some opinions: PMDD

Hey ladies! I am 29 yrs. old with 2 kids. Don't think I want any more. I have been diagnosed with PMDD, have terrible breast pain prior to period, and I also have lots of spotting (not much bleeding) in between periods. Periods are awful. Bleeding is not heavy, but headaches keep me on the couch and I feel tired all the time. Just a lot of pain. I am also emotional/moody prior to period. I will either bite your head off or just look at you and cry. I have tried just about all birth control pills and nothing has helped. Dr. put me on male hormone, testerone, but that has not brought any relief either. Next option, Doc says, is a complete hysterectomy. Is this jumping the gun or am I just worried and scared? Should I get a second opinion? I want to be rid of the pain and emotional/moody issues, but I worry that it will only be worse if I choose to have the hysterectomy. Do not need any more emotional/moody contributions. DH just might divorce me. LOL! I feel like my family is suffering. Would luv to hear some opinions! Laura
Unread 08-14-2007, 04:11 PM
I have different problems, but...

it's all related, isn't it? If I were you, I would definitely get a second opinion. My doctor actually suggested I do that! I just had an abdominal myomectomy for tons of fibroids. I'm 30, no kids (should be able to have them now, though!) A hysterectomy was never really a consideration. My doctor did warn me that an emergency hysterectomy if I was going to die otherwise from blood loss was a possibility, but there was only a 1% chance of that. You might want to post on one of the hysterectomy forums as well, if you haven't already.
Unread 08-15-2007, 06:35 PM

I had my hyst for endometriosis, but I also had PMDD. I had terrible pain with my periods, taking morphine and demerol at the end. I had my ovaries removed at the same time, because of the PMDD and other hormone-related problems. I tried almost all the available treatments before having my hyst, and none of them helped in the long run.

It was like night and day. Regardless of the effect on the pain (I now have none), my personality has changed significantly since my ovaries are gone. I am much happier, much less anxious, much less irritable, much less out of control emotionally. That is not to say I don't have emotions, just that they make sense and are not ruining my life.

I was lucky to quickly find a good hormone balance and be able to adjust it without too much suffering when symptoms showed up. Not everyone is as lucky as I am. But I feel like starting at zero (no ovaries) had to be easier than dealing with my unpredictable ovaries.

A second opinion is never a bad thing, but I did not get one - I trusted my doc and my own research. Just wanted to let you know my experience...
Unread 08-15-2007, 07:44 PM

I had all that. I've been in pain for at least 10 years. Worsening headaches...cramps, "PMDD". My doctor put me on Depot Lupron which worked fabulous for me. I used that for about 8 months and felt so good on that. It's not a permanent fix though, so I just had a hysterectomy last week and sister, I feel GREAT! The Depot Lupron was awesome. Mostly got rid of my pain and "menstrual migraines", but not completely. I have never taken anything but Motrin, Extra Strength Tylenol, over the counter Menstrual medicines...nothing worked. Ice packs to the back of my head, heating pads to the abdomen, warm baths, "Zoloft", Birth Control pills...The Depot Lupron injections were the only thing that even began to help. Now, I'm only 1 week post (vaginal) hysterectomy. They took out everything, both ovaries...anyway, I'm feeling AWESOME! Talk to your doctor and find out what's right for you, but the Depot Lupron and finally vaginal hysterectomy has been a Godsend to me. My doctor is the best! He's the first doctor that has "fixed" my problem. I've been suffering for years and because I have a high pain tolerence and just "deal with it"...anyway, so happy to have made the decision to have the surgery.
Unread 08-16-2007, 09:56 PM

I have PMDD, and take Lexapro for it (all the time). Works really well.

You're comment, "Don't think I want any more" (kids), is a red light. If there's even a hint of feeling for another baby, don't make this decision now. Wait a couple years, and see...

For the emotional symptoms, ask your doc about Lexapro. It's an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety, and it does a lot of good. It's very "clean" - not a lot of side effects. I'm on a low dose, 10mg, and it's all I need. Also, lithium can help with moodiness, even if you're not bipolar. I was on both for a while, and now I'm on just Lexapro.

If you do decide to take Lexapro, or something similar, give your body time to adjust to it, for about 6-8 weeks, before deciding you don't like it. It can take that long to reach full effect. I got a few tired moments, and maybe nausea once, then all was well... My family's so glad I'm taking it, LOL!
Unread 08-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Regarding children

Right! I only have one child...he's 16 already. But, I've had horrible pain for years and when a hysterectomy was offered as a treatment to me, I was like, "okay, what are you doing this afternoon...let's do it!". But, you're right. If someone wants to think about more children...better consider the alternatives. I'm 46 years old which I guess is still young for a total hysterectomy, bilateral oopherectomy and salpingectomy (not sure if I spelled all that right). I'm still recovering as I only had the surgery last week. Anyway, the Zoloft helps with the mood, but certainly doesn't get rid of the "pain". I don't understand why anti depressants are the treatment for PMDD because it's not just the mood...I've had awful pain for years. So, again, the Depot Lupron worked well for the "cycles" and the hormonal ups/downs/cramps/headaches although not completely. I'm only one week post hysterectomy, healing...still having pain, but hoping to get good results after the healing process.
Unread 08-30-2007, 05:40 AM
There are others out there!! Any advice?

This is the first time I have had contact with other sufferers of PMDD - thank you for sharing your stories I certainly feel less isolated!. I am currently taking Synarrel (nasal spray) that has put my ovaries in shut down for 6 months - it has worked and PMDD has disappeared. I am a new person - my marriage, children, family and work are all 100% better and I love life. Unfortunately you can't take this treatment for longer than 6 months (risk of cardiovascular disease) and so I will have to try something else when this treatment ends. Having tried 5 antidepressants (prozac, effexor, zoloft, anafranil, avanza), progesterone cream, magnesium, zinc, vitamin B, fish oil and evening primrose oil and finally chinese medicine over a period of 7 years- which have all failed to treat the PMDD I am faced with the last option - getting my ovaries out. I am scared about my decision to have the operation but I want my life back from PMDD. I am worried about recent articles I've read (in the Lancet/Science Daily) which suggest increased risk of dementia/stroke and osteoporosis for women who have both ovaries removed prior to 45 years of age (I'm 32). I'm also worried about what will happen if I take oestrogen after getting my ovaries out - does it lead to PMDD symptoms all over again?/does this mean you are at less risk of health problems eg osteoporosis?. If there is anyone out there who knows about these issues I would be really grateful for some feedback. Thanks for reading - sorry its a bit long
Unread 08-30-2007, 05:48 AM
Ovaries only

Sorry, I forgot to ask one last question - does anyone know why some people just get their ovaries out and others have a full hyst to deal with PMDD ?
Unread 08-30-2007, 07:31 AM
dear sickofpmdd

Hi! I've had PMDD for years! It's awful! I hate it! I just had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago and had both ovaries removed because I want nothing to do with any symptoms of PMDD any more!

After the surgery so far I've been feeling pretty good. A week after surgery I felt fine, then I started with more HOT flashes than I already was getting prior to the surgery. I was feeling "emotional"...so I decided to take the Premarin my doc had prescribed. I would rather take nothing and be through with hormones for good, but...sigh...the hot flashes, the osteoporosis...Isn't being a woman fun????

It's all too soon to tell really.

I'm weaning off the Zoloft for PMDD as well. So, I took 1/2 my dose for 2 weeks, then I quit taking it. Hmm. That may have been a mistake because I was dizzy all day today and I finally decided it is probably because I cut off the Zoloft. So, I took another 1/2 dose this evening...I'll have to cut back to every other day. That sudden drop...I think it made me feel terrible today! I am enjoying the fact that I no longer will have the sexual side effects (or lack of sexual "effects") from the Zoloft.

My doctor also had me using Depot Lupron prior to the hysterectomy. Have you tried that? It worked really well for me. Like your nasal spray, it's not a permanent fix, but it really, really helped. My doctor said that because I had such good results with the Depot Lupron for the PMDD, that "the writing was on the wall" for good results to be expected with the hysterectomy. We did a TVHBSO...Again, so far, so good.

I, like you, tried everything for PMDD. I don't know why Zoloft (antidepressent) is the treatment for PMDD either. I said that when I started Zoloft, I still hurt, but I just didn't care that I hurt anymore. It never went away. I always think that if a guy had the pain of PMDD he'd be taking heavy Narcotics for the pain...for us women, they give us anti depressants. And that's the treatment "choice".

I'm happy with my decision to do the total hyst with both ovaries removed. I'm 46.
Unread 08-30-2007, 09:56 PM
What is PMDD?:

What is PMDD/ Sounds like I have it if it has anything to do with depression and extremely painful periods. My husband asked me today if I would ever be happy again. My response was, I didn't know I was unhappy! I went on to explain that 95% of the time I don't feel good. Not sick, just fatigued. Even after a good night sleep. I told my husband I wish he could be me for just 1 hour out of the day. He probably couldn't handle it. Anyway, I have decided to have a hysterectomy but I want to wait a few months for a number of reasons. Now, my decision is to keep or not to keep ovaries. A OB/GYN, who is a good friend told me if I kept my ovaries I would most likely have the same monthly symptoms, mood swings, pain, elephant ankes, headaches, just no bleeding. Because the ovaries don't know when the uterus is gone, they still do their job.
I have gotten a lot of useful info and lots of support and encouragement from this sight. Thank you all who respond.
Justonian
Closed Thread

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.