How much does a TAH cost? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much does a TAH cost? How much does a TAH cost?

Unread 08-17-2007, 04:37 PM
How much does a TAH cost?

because I run my own small business (home daycare), I have very minimal health ins. coverage. It will only cover about $8,000.00 total for everything.
I am scared to even ask, but does anyone know about what a TAH costs---including everything- anesthesiologist, 3 day stay, pain meds, etc, etc.

Anyone?
Just wondering how much of a loan I will have to take out to pay this **** thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2007, 05:00 PM

We're still getting bills from my TAH - and right now we're sitting at between $12,000 and $ 14,000.

My hospital bill was a little over $8,000 (3 days) and the doc bill was $4200. There's the path. reports, and incidentals that are slowly coming in. Hope this helps !
Unread 08-17-2007, 05:27 PM

I've heard figures as high as $25,000. to $60,000. depending on all that is done. But maybe that's a regional thing, and maybe it depends on whether you have a "top" doctor or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2007, 05:31 PM

Holy crap. There goes my kids college. I am screwed. I am so screwed. I have about 1000.00 in my savings account, only 1000.00 in retirement and I don't have a high household income (my kids get reduced lunches at school).
What do I do?
Unread 08-17-2007, 05:54 PM

All of my bills are in and cost about 10,500. with insurance and about 1,000. was out of pocket for the % insurance didn't cover. I don't know about other hospitals, but we have a benefit here you can apply for to at least reduce most of the cost and then make payments after that, even if you can only afford 10.00month, then they will take it. Please don't not do something for lack of money, your health is much more important.
Unread 08-17-2007, 06:01 PM

Call the doctor and hospital - they will work with you and may also be able to direct you somewhere you can get some financial help.

I wouldn't place all my nest egg money in the hospital and I don't think they'd expect you to. I believe them getting $8000.00 will make and keep them happy for a few months.
The insurance and health care costs are ridiculous - especially in 2007, when I'm elected president that is the first thing I will take care of!

Truly this kind of thing infuriates me! I have great insurance but I pay over $7000.00 a year for it. In the eight years we have had the insurance we have used $6000.00 - I'll get my monies worth this year.

I'd adopt you if I could to help pay for it....
Unread 08-17-2007, 06:16 PM

LOL- thanks.
I think even 12,00.00 total sounds so much better than 25-50 grand. OMG

My dh was in the hospital for 2 days last year with some mysterious fever- they never did know what was wrong with him- and the bill was 5 grand - and they barely did anything! Just a couple of tests and an IV. We called the hospital and asked them if there was any help available and we filled out out a form and gave them our adjusted gross income and we DID qualify for about 4,000.00 reduction so all we had to pay out ofpocket was 1,000.00.

So maybe we will do this gain.

Question- does it do any good to tell the surgeon (in my case my ob/gyn) that you are lower income with crappy insurance? can and will they reduce their rate?
Probably not. But my mom said to ask.
Does anyone know?
Unread 08-17-2007, 06:21 PM

It certainly won't hurt to ask. I think they will work with you and he could lower his/her fees.

My neighbor has said that they have lowered fees for her - she has lung cancer and recently lost her insurance.
Unread 08-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Mine was about $13,000ish - of which I only had to pay $250. That didn't include the doctor's fee. I almost have the impression that the insurance company has a prenegotiated rate because I haven't seen paperwork yet that shows they paid the full amount to the hospital. I am in an HMO though, so things might be different.
Unread 08-18-2007, 12:55 AM

I got a letter, saying not a bill, but one number was $8600.00 and one was $56,000.00 not sure if that is whats left for my coverage this year I cant understand it, Im pretty good at understanding things, guess it is not to be understood.. heh Surely the cost couldnt have been that high? I did have more done then a TAH.. though.. keep us posted..

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register