HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

rectocele/hemmeroids/stool shape?? rectocele/hemmeroids/stool shape??

Unread 08-19-2007, 11:42 AM
rectocele/hemmeroids/stool shape??

Hi there ladies, its been a long time since ive been to the site, but I got my "anniversary reminder" 2 years yesterday and it got me thinking I can ask you all some questions I've been worried about lately. I do have an appoitment with my doc in a couple wks, but I want to know if anyone else has experience what im experiencing.

I had a TAH 2 yrs ago, I also had a rectocele, but did nothing with it then, just decided to wait to see how things went. I have also been having alot of problems with hemmerhoids. I have had 2 bandings done, the first with good success, that hemmeroid no longer bothers me. but this last one didnt take, OR another has become alot worse real fast right after the second banding, I will find out soon at the doctors.

Ok my questions are. I have to help empty my colon with my thumb in my vagina, almost ever time I go. - not fun- im not constipated, I have started to notice after I do this I have a watery bloody discharge coming from my vagina after I wipe, im assuming this is because i have pushed on the skin between the vagina and rectum? this never use to happen when I 'pushed' it out.... anuyone else??

Also and more concerning to me, I notice that my stool is not round. its more flat on the bottom and and small ridge on the top.... I know TMI... I originally thaught this was just due to the rectocele trapping some on the way out, but now that I have all the hemmeroid problems, im wondering maybe I have a hemmeroid quite a ways in thats big and blocking part of the way or worse yet cancer in there changing the shape of the stool? I do have bleeding, but not every time. I have often ALOT of pressure/pain while sitting or when those 'muscles" are relaxed. I have alot of pain while going to the bathroom, mostly when (it feels like) a couple inches before coming out, and then again on the outside when I wipe.... then for hours afterwards im quite uncomfotable, some times I get those uncomfortable pains/pressure when I havent even gone to the bathroom... any opinons or experince before I go to my doctor would be great!! Thanks in advance...
Unread 08-19-2007, 05:11 PM

Tasha--

It's a good thing you are going to the Dr. soon. Are you seeing a colorectal Dr. or a GI doc? Either one can order a colonoscopy for you. Any time you have blood in the stool or changes in your stool, it seems like that's what they like to order to have done on you--at least, that's what they did for me.

I had a colonoscopy done almost 2 years ago and thank goodness nothing was found cancer-wise. I was found to have internal hemorrhoids, however. Those have been bothering me lately. I have an appt. with my colorectal Dr. this next week also. She wants to see whether those were truly hemorrhoids or if I might have rectal prolapse instead. <sigh> It's always something. The point is to see your doctor because no one else can truly tell anything about your own personal situation.

I haven't had the experience with the vaginal discharge but when my hemorrhoids have been a problem for more than a day or so, I will have stool that has a mucus-y look and feel to it and is much more painful to expel. Just be sure you let your Dr. know all of your symptoms and when they happen.

Sending extra S and many good vibes to you.......
Unread 08-19-2007, 05:24 PM

I, too have had to push from inside the vagina to get stool out and never quite felt empty. I also have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I don't have a problem with hemmoroids. I started eating All-Bran (regular, not extra fiber) every morning and use Metamucil about 3 times per week. Problem over 100%. Since we've already crossed the tmi line, I guess I can tell you that I went within 1 hour of eating it and for the first time in a long time, felt like I was empty. It's become my miracle breakfast.

Ok, so All-Bran is not the tastiest, but with equal and lots of fresh berries, it's not bad. Actually, I look forward to it because of the "outcome". Sorry about the pun...

Good luck.
Regards,
Nancy
Unread 08-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Tasha,
You have described many of the same symptoms I have been experiencing for the past year. I have a history of recurrent prolapse, the rectocele being the worst. I began having rectal pain 1 year ago. Having a BM feels like I'm trying to push out ground glass, my stool is soft but thin and pencil like or flat on one side, though occasionally it is of normal shape and size. I could never figure out how or why the stool could change.
I am unable to splint, for some reason it just doesn't help. I have a BM at least 5 or 6 times a day because I'm never really empty. I get a lot of pain and pressure before a BM and then a lot of sharp pain during and after. The after pains last at least an hour or two and if I have diarrhea the rectal spasms are horrendous. It always hurts to sit on a flat surface and it hurts more when wiping after a BM. Now I'm having a lot of urethral pressure with urinating too.
I have had tons of tests, vaginal/rectal exams, CT scans, Colonoscopy, MRI, Defecography. My last round of tests revealed that once again I have Global prolapse, everything is coming undone again. I also have internal intussuception which is the cause for the mishapen stool.
I'm glad you have an appointment coming soon. The best thing I did was to keep a journal of all my symptoms. I was embarrassed that the list was so long, feeling like a complainer but the Dr assured me that this was very helpful in diagnosing my problem. Since you are having some bleeding I agree with OrahDeb, you need a colonoscopy. After you receive those results I assume the Dr will send you for more tests to pinpoint exactly what the problem is. Good luck and please feel free to ask me any questions.
Michelle
Unread 08-20-2007, 07:12 PM

nlynn1
I just wanted to say that I sympathise with you. I have a rectocele and it happened after my hysterectomy in February. I notice that the stool does have an odd shape sometimes. Sometimes it does look flat. It is often different shapes each time. I have tried to push it out but a lot of times I put a glove on and help it out with my finger in my rectum. I use disposable rubber gloves. I have had to do this as a last resort as nothing else works, even suppositories don't get all of it out sometimes and it's so upsetting. I also eat fibre cereals such as All Bran and Fibre 1 and have Metamucil but don't take it often enough ( I don't like drinking it) but eat loads of fruit etc.
I am waiting to go for tests with a colorectal doctor and I have to get it fixed as I feel I can not go on living like this. It has been 6 months and it is awful and it is not getting better. I wish you luck with your appointment.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway