HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Ashwagandha and Maca Ashwagandha and Maca

Unread 08-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Ashwagandha and Maca

Hi,

I've been doing some reading on here about ashwagandha and maca as an alternative to HRT. I stopped my bioidenticals a few days ago. I was having lots of trouble with depression, anxiety, irritability, hot flashes, etc.. (I put all this in a reply to someone's else's thread, "Stopped all HRT.") I have felt much better OFF of my hrt, but not sure how long that will last.
I've been thinking about trying one of the two supplements I mentioned. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried both of them and had a preference of one over the other.
I'm running out to the health food store in a few days and am trying to decide which one to purchase.
Unread 08-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Ashwagandha and Maca

I never tried Ashwagandha, but I know the herb is an adaptogen (similar to Royal Maca), and is known as a mood stabilizer as well as enhancing the immune system. Adaptogen herbs help the body "adapt" to physiological and psychological stresses.

The reason I went with Royal Maca is because it specifically benefits women who have had hysterectomies. It's worked for me in various ways such as:

-- heightened libido
-- increase in vaginal lubrication
-- more energy (adrenal fatigue isn't as prominent)
-- hormonal balance (no more night sweats)
-- improved mood (I'm not as weepy or cranky during my PMS cycle)
--

Before starting any regime, please make sure you chat with your doctor to see if this herb would be benefical for you. I know that Royal Maca is NOT recommended for women who use estrogen supplements such as:

-- estrogen suppositories (although my doctor prescribed vaginal estrogen for dryness which I stopped using since Royal Maca took care of the problem)

-- bio-identical estrogen

-- phytoestrogenic herbs such as black cohost, isoflavones of soy and certain Chinese herbs)

-- adaptogenic herbs (except as directed by your doctor)

I would NOT take both herbs at the same time since it is not recommended to combine adaptogenic herbs (unless it is prescribed by your doctor).

Good luck, and let me know which herb you choose.

P.S. If you want to learn more about the benefits of Royal Maca, the website is: www.wholeworldbotanicals.com.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway