Have the bladder surgery too? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have the bladder surgery too? Have the bladder surgery too?

Unread 08-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Have the bladder surgery too?

Hi sisters,
I'm scheduled for a LAVH with a bladder repair (TVT) using the mesh next Tuesday. I do have some leaking issues but nothing too terrible. I had a urodynamic study and leak when I laugh or cough basically. No other time. I have been reading about this mesh procedure on this and other websites and it looks like it's a pretty iffy procedure! I can't believe all the negative things I've read about it and all the erosion problems, etc. I wonder if I should forgo this until another time and just have the LAVH? Does anyone have anything good to say about this procedure? On the upside, my doc is a Urogyn so he should have a lot of experience in this. I'm calling today to discuss it but wanted a little input from the sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2007, 11:11 AM

Hi there.
I had a bladder sling put in and it is working splendidly! I am not sure what the mesh thing is that you are talking about so I can't say for sure but I sure am happy with the sling. I always sneeze when I wake up and I used to run to the bathroom, now no worries
Unread 08-29-2007, 12:07 PM

I could have written your post about 8 weeks ago. I too was worried about the negative responses about bladder slings. I talked with my Dr. about what I'd read and she gave me her experience and stats .... since she's been doing the TVT-O, (past few years, over 100 of them) , she said she's only had one patient with problems and it was because they didn't follow directions and had intercourse too soon post-op.

She also said she prefers the TVT-O as it has less negative side effects. The TVT is more of a "U" shape and it tends to squeeze as it tightens as it heals. The TVT-O is more of a hammock, and even though tightens, it is more spread and doesn't cause the squeezing (blockage) problem.

I had my TAH / RSO / TVT-O about 6 weeks ago and am feeling great. No problems so far and the IC is virtually gone ... it can take several months (until it's completely healed) for full success. But I'm well on my way. I would encourage you to talk to your Dr. See what kind of procedure he uses, what material he uses, and what his experience and success rates are. It really eases my mind.

And as alway, remember, people who have had bad experiences are more liable to post than those without incident!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2007, 04:33 PM

You may want to look into seeing if your doc uses your own tissue. Mine used tendons (fascia) from my inner thighs instead of mesh. He said it works better, and you tend to have less problems because it is your own tissue.

I am THRILLED I had my sling. I no longer pee when I cough, sneeze, laugh, lift something, whatever it is. It is a pleasure to not have to wear thick pads to work everyday. I recommend this procedure to any woman having incontinence problems.
Unread 08-29-2007, 06:19 PM

Wow! I would be very interested in having him use my own tissue. Seems like it would make more sense. As of now, I am still having my hist, but am putting off the sling proced. I can call back if I change my mind. The sling is made from poly-propylene. However, I just went and played tennis with my son and leaked from laughing at something really hard, so I guess I'm still kind of undecided.
Unread 08-29-2007, 06:24 PM

jkk..I don't know how old you are, but as I got older, it got worse! I mean, even getting into the Tahoe I would leak, any kind of strain. It was worth it. And having it done with the surgery makes sense. The doctor will be in there anyway, may as well have it all done at once. I don't think I had any issues with regards to the bladder sling...my pain was from the abdominal cut...agh...
Unread 08-29-2007, 06:45 PM

Colleen, do you know what your sling was made out of? Mine would be polypropylene and it is actually vaginal tape?? I guess the skin around it grafs it into place or something. I don't know...I really hate the incontinence part but to be fair, I really haven't tried very hard to cure it on my own. I really could stand to lose 20 lbs., and if I did my Kegals that may help. I guess they actually have physical therapy available for incontinence too. I know I sound like I'm waffling...cuz I am! The doc quoted 4 out of 10 do have problems with it. Isn't that a lot?

Jackie, age 47
LAVH and possible urethral sling (if I don't chicken out on that part)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnowzerz
jkk..I don't know how old you are, but as I got older, it got worse! I mean, even getting into the Tahoe I would leak, any kind of strain. It was worth it. And having it done with the surgery makes sense. The doctor will be in there anyway, may as well have it all done at once. I don't think I had any issues with regards to the bladder sling...my pain was from the abdominal cut...agh...
Unread 08-29-2007, 06:48 PM

I had the bladder/urethral sling....the part that went through the urethra was the tape..that must be the propylene stuff...the rest, the sling part was my own tissue. I tried the kegels, and exercise was embarrassing, I had to quit. I couldn't do my step aerobics that I loved anymore, cause I would pee all over myself. It was terrible. It depends on your own situation. Mine was unbearable. I couldn't drive 15 mins without having to pee. I peed at work every hour or so. It was a pain. I no longer have any of those issues, and I am soooo happy!!
Unread 08-30-2007, 06:00 PM

jkk47, I know what you mean about tennis! My brother and his family and my parents and my family all went to play tennis a few years ago and we had margaritas before hand and I had to go home and get a pad because I was laughing sooo hard and couldn't hold it! We had a blast but it was so emberassing. We played the next night without drinking first and had the same problem. We did have fun but that has been a horable memory ever since. I encountered so many times that I wish I didn't have the problem. The funny thing is, is I didn't even know they could fix it!

I had TVH and he just made 2 tiny incisions "down there" and when I went back I asked about the sling and he said the kind he used to use were different. They had to cut you open to do it. Now they have one that can be done in a less invasive manner. It is like a hammock, the sides string through a natural hole in the hips that we are all born with. They lift it onto the "pipe" and the ends go through the holes. And he said the human tissue will have much of the sling covered in just a few weeks. It is so cool. He really is impressed with this newer way to do it.
I can't wait to go play tennis when I am healed enough to do so. We giggle so much!
I am sure that you will make the right decision for you.

Can I ask, did your doctor happen to say what limitations you would have if you have a sling after the hyster? Is it still 6 weeks of now lifting, etc.?
Unread 08-30-2007, 06:24 PM

Heidi ~ this "new" hammock like sling you are refering to is a TVT-O that I mentioned above. That is what I had done 5 weeks ago with my TAH. My Dr. said she her patients have been very happy with it.

I have had good success with it already ...though it will not be 100% for a few more months (until all that tissue is regenerated around it).

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register