HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Nicked Bladder/Catheter Question Nicked Bladder/Catheter Question

Unread 09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Nicked Bladder/Catheter Question

I'm two weeks post-op from DaVinci radical hysterectomy, bladder was nicked and now I have leakage of urine from the vagina.

Can anyone share their experience with a nicked bladder...how long did it take to heal itself? I go back to the doctor in 9 days to have another bladder x-ray with contrast (x-ray was how they diagnosed the cause for all the leaking).

Leaking has subsided some.

I still don't feel the urge to urinate...is that because of the catheter? The catheter will have been in place for 2.5 weeks.

Randi in IN
Unread 09-04-2007, 01:49 PM

Randi:

I am sorry you had sooo many problems. I did not have a nicked bladder, but I did have a catheter for 2 weeks. It took about a month after the catheter was removed for my nerves there to start working again. For awhile all I had was severe cramping when my bladder was full, but now I have all sensation back. I hope yours returns soon also.
Unread 09-07-2007, 01:27 PM

Scared3,

Can you explain to me how your bladder worked after the catheter was removed? Did you leak urine? How did you empty the bladder? Did the urine dribble out or did you have any control over its flow? I am still not feeling any sensations associated with the bladder.

Physically, I am feeling stronger each day. But I am concerned about mobility issues with the catheter. I passed when they offered the traveling catheter, it was so flimsy I couldn't imagine relying on it for any length of time away from home.

Thanks for your reply. I am dying to talk to someone who has gone down this road.

Randi in IN
Unread 09-07-2007, 01:47 PM

I have had 2 surgeries now involving catheter...first one I had to go home with it for one week...this last surgery, DaVinci robotic also, I only had catheter for one nite...after the first catheter was taken out after one week, it took me a while to feel the actual urge to go...it varied from dribbling to heavier flow....I always had to run my hands under water...I also took the perinial (I think thats what its called) bottle that they give you after an episiotomy and would fill it with warm water and squirt it slowly over the vaginal area so it would help me go....although this sounds disgusting, I also found in the warm shower it would help me go...you have to do what you have to do....this past surgery 2 weeks ago I basically did the same thing..also noticed from the outside that whole area of skin over bladder felt a wierd numbness...after about 3/4 days of helping the flow, it started to come on its own, building a heavier flow in time.....I did have some leaking the first week after this DaVinci surgery..only after I peed and than when I would stand up to pull my pants up a little would trickle out or if I held it too long and it would trickle a tiny little bit as I was hurrying to the bathroom....happy to report that only lasted a few days.....I feel terrible for you that they nicked your bladder...on top of everything else you have to deal with that must be very frustrating...I hope this time when you go back that it has healed...sending you a big hug ..feel free to private message me if you have any questions or just for someone to talk to......
Unread 09-07-2007, 02:04 PM

Hi there:

I found that I had to try to urinate by the clock rather than when I felt the urge to go. I would sit down every 2 hours and try. I would also have to sit there for awhile. I would have a steady stream and then nothing and a few seconds to a minute later I would trickle some more. I think waiting that extra bit after I thought I was done help to prevent the accidents.

I still have the trickle effect and have just gotten used to allowing myself extra time. I no longer have to use the clock method, but in the beginning it helped with the horrible cramping and bladder spasms I was having.

By the way, I used the smaller travel bag most of the time that I had it. It helped immensely to be able to get out and about a little during those 2 weeks. It holds a lot more than it looks!

I wish you the best! If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Dawn
Unread 09-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribyra732
I have had 2 surgeries now involving catheter...first one I had to go home with it for one week...this last surgery, DaVinci robotic also, I only had catheter for one nite...after the first catheter was taken out after one week, it took me a while to feel the actual urge to go...it varied from dribbling to heavier flow....I always had to run my hands under water...I also took the perinial (I think thats what its called) bottle that they give you after an episiotomy and would fill it with warm water and squirt it slowly over the vaginal area so it would help me go....although this sounds disgusting, I also found in the warm shower it would help me go...you have to do what you have to do....this past surgery 2 weeks ago I basically did the same thing..also noticed from the outside that whole area of skin over bladder felt a wierd numbness...after about 3/4 days of helping the flow, it started to come on its own, building a heavier flow in time.....I did have some leaking the first week after this DaVinci surgery..only after I peed and than when I would stand up to pull my pants up a little would trickle out or if I held it too long and it would trickle a tiny little bit as I was hurrying to the bathroom....happy to report that only lasted a few days.....I feel terrible for you that they nicked your bladder...on top of everything else you have to deal with that must be very frustrating...I hope this time when you go back that it has healed...sending you a big hug ..feel free to private message me if you have any questions or just for someone to talk to......

Ribyra and Dawn,

Thank you both for responding. I feel like I am so unprepared to deal with this, when you take the time to share your personal experience it gives me a frame of reference.

When you say you ran your hands under water...do you mean to stimulate the release of urine...running water? And the tip about a warm shower is good...I don't mind tinkling in the shower if it is going to help stimulate things.

I will do whatever it takes to retrain those muscles. Sitting on the toilet every hour or so may be inconvenient but I am motivated to do whatever it takes to get back normal bladder function. The thought of dragging this catheter around really makes me *blue*.

Prior to my surgery, I did have the slight problem of occasionally dribbling out a few drops when exercising or when I would exert myself. It was never a big enough deal to pursue...now I'm thinking maybe I should have done more about it. Hindsight is always 20/20, you know.

Randi in IN
Unread 09-07-2007, 04:33 PM

I had LAVH on 8/29 and had a cath for less than 24 hrs. I was able to 'go' on my own only once before the cath had to be reinserted. I ended up going home with it and keeping it for 1 week. I had it removed Tuesday and I am still not feeling the urge to go and its horribly bad when I do go. I talked to my nurse yesterday and she seemed to think it would improve with time and called in another med for the bladder. I am so glad to read that others are having bladder issues. This was the last thing I expected out of this deal. You never realize how important peeing is until you can't do it!

Anne (31)
LAVH kept right ovary only
Unread 09-07-2007, 05:07 PM

i also am having bladder issues. Had TAH on Aug. 27 kept left ovary. Ihave this heaviness in lower abdomin, I feel like theres a brick in there. Twelve days out and I still don't feel urge to go, just trying to sit at toilet every few hours or so and when I do go that heavy brick feels like it's going to fall out of vagina. Anyone with this feeling?
Unread 09-07-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin' on 2
Ribyra and Dawn,

Thank you both for responding. I feel like I am so unprepared to deal with this, when you take the time to share your personal experience it gives me a frame of reference.

When you say you ran your hands under water...do you mean to stimulate the release of urine...running water? And the tip about a warm shower is good...I don't mind tinkling in the shower if it is going to help stimulate things.

I will do whatever it takes to retrain those muscles. Sitting on the toilet every hour or so may be inconvenient but I am motivated to do whatever it takes to get back normal bladder function. The thought of dragging this catheter around really makes me *blue*.

Prior to my surgery, I did have the slight problem of occasionally dribbling out a few drops when exercising or when I would exert myself. It was never a big enough deal to pursue...now I'm thinking maybe I should have done more about it. Hindsight is always 20/20, you know.

Randi in IN

Hi..yes I did mean that as I was sitting on the toilet I would have the warm water in the sink running and hold my hand under it....it usually helped to get the flow going..if not I tried the squeeze bottle with the warm water over the whole area and that also helped..it is very frustrating when you go or try to go and you can feel the muscles needed to push...I however was able to stop the flow easily so I started practicing to strengthen those muscles.....also after the catheter was removed and also after this surgery my doctor gave me pyridium...it colors your urine bright yellow or orange but helps with the bladder spasms....I also stayed on Macrobid or Bactrim to help prevent bladder or urinary tract infection for 14 days....
Unread 09-07-2007, 05:35 PM

Rita--

I was prescribed Pyridium yesterday and began taking it last night. It says three times a day...Do I take it until my bladder gets better or longer like an antibiotic? I forgot to ask yesterday and was hoping you could save me a call to my doc office on Monday!

Thanks--
Anne

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.