HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

water weight gain right after abdominal hysterectomy water weight gain right after abdominal hysterectomy

Unread 09-09-2007, 02:40 PM
water weight gain right after abdominal hysterectomy

Has anyone ever experienced water weight gain right after an abdominal hysterectomy? I just had my surgery on Sept. 4 and my belly is swollen, sore and when I weighed myself I had gained five pounds, although that is impossible since I ate practically nothing in the hospital. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 09-09-2007, 05:10 PM

I also had my TAH-BSO on 9-4. I was released 9-6, and weighed the next am, I had gained 9 lbs! Weighed Sat, it had dropped to 7 and today it was 5.5 lbs. This is my first experience with anything like this, but my instincts told me to drink as much water as I could (we need it for the constipation prevention anyway). What little bit of food I had in the castle was laden w/ salt so I know the fluids will help. I had also read on this site to drink a lot of lemon juice but it made me nauseus. I feel better today so I'm going to try some peppermint tea w/ lemon. The lemon is supposed to help detox from all the anesthesia. Other than that I don't know anything else. If other princesses went through this and would like to share, please do. Because I need hope that this weight will eventually go away.
Unread 09-09-2007, 06:13 PM

The nurses told me the iv's caused water gain. I was "puffY" for several days after coming home.
Unread 09-09-2007, 06:39 PM

You are pumped full of fliuds during the surgery and after to prevent dehydration which can cause problems with your veins, kidneys and bladder and to aid in that first BM. From the moment you had an IV stuck in you you were getting glucose or saline. Once it was removed it takes a few days for your body to flush out all the excess fluid. After about a week you should see a differance.
Unread 09-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Your "pee" day will come!

One day, sometime about the 1-week mark, you will have a day where it feels like you live in the bathroom. Because I had a bladder repair, I was still monitoring my output at that point. During my "pee" day as I call it, I measured over 4 litres in a 24 hour time period!
Unread 09-09-2007, 07:57 PM

thanks sisters for the info, now i can relax.
Unread 09-09-2007, 08:58 PM

Thanks for your response. I hope we both lose this weight soon! Keep me posted on your progress. I too, am drinking a lot of water and Crystal Light and trying to stay away from carbonated beverages and salt. They bloat me up normally in a major way
Unread 09-09-2007, 10:22 PM

For those of you who had this large post-op weight gain, were you also started on hormones right after surgery? That can do it too.
Unread 09-09-2007, 11:08 PM

I just had my TAH/BSO on 8/13/07. Within 12 days post-op I had gained 15 lbs. of water weight. I really didn't have much appetite, so I was horrified to see the scale go up 1 to 2 lbs. each day. Then, just as quickly as I put on the weight, it began to come off. By 3 wks. post-op, I was back to my pre-surgery weight, and now 1 week later I am down 3 more pounds. Go figure! All I know is that I am very relieved that it has resolved itself. I plan to ask my doctor at my post-op exam if this is common after this type of surgery. I understand your concern but feel you will probably notice a difference fairly soon. Hang in there! Our bodies have gone through a lot of trauma and need time to adjust.
(I am not on hormone replacement therapy.)

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway