HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Will belly size go down with removal of uterus and fibroids? Will belly size go down with removal of uterus and fibroids?

Unread 09-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Will belly size go down with removal of uterus and fibroids?

Hi All, I am close to deciding on a hysterectomy for heavy periods and fibroids. I have had no pain, but have been in diff stages of anemia for 2 yrs. The periods are interfering with my life. I keep pretty fit and my body shape is getting weird...looks like I am PG. My legs and shoulders are a sz 8 and my belly is nearing a sz 12. I would like to do ablation for the bleeding, but will still have the fibroids. They may keep growing and I will still look PG. Is the surgery worth having to get rid of the big tummy or is it going to remain relatively the same? Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks!
Unread 09-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Just going by my experience, my belly didn't change sizes at all. My uterus was the size of a 16 wk pregnancy and unfortunately, I'm still wearing the same sizes I did before the surgery.

I'm 6 weeks post op.
Unread 09-17-2007, 09:53 AM

I considered embolization before going ahead with my hysterectomy to remove a fibroid that ended up being compared to a large honeydew melon and happily expanding in its environment - according to my doctor. She told me it would have only continued to grow if I had not had the surgery. Considering it was just "found" two years ago that was a very scary thought. I also looked pregnant before but that's gone now. It's going to take diet and exercise to really get rid of the belly (once all the swelling is completely gone - however long that takes).

The decision is very personal, but I'm glad I did it. On top of getting rid of the large belly, there are no more periods to have to deal with either.

Good luck to you with whatever decision you make.

Marcy
TAH (kept ovaries), 7/26/07, large fibroid, enlarged uterus
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:13 AM

I had no symptoms with my 1 3/4 lb fibroid either, even though it was cutting off almost ALL the drainage from my left kidney.

Have you had an ultrasound or CT to discover the size? Mine were 'normal' for years, and only a regular checkup showed it was a bit bigger (actually, I was surprised to learn I only had one...maybe it ate any others that tried to get started! )

I have and HAD a pretty good weight - but couldn't figure out what the deal was with the endless 'pot belly'. LOL After the hyst, a friend came to see me in the afternoon, and we looked at my stapled tummy. It was WAY flatter and has stayed that way!

If you are ages away from menopause, the fibroids will keep growing. You might want to read in the forum on Hysterectomy Options...a number, but not all, women who have had albations go on to need hysts.

HOWEVER - your doctor is the best person to advise you on how to make the best decision.

Unread 09-17-2007, 10:17 AM

I don't notice the difference but people ask me all the time if I have lost weight.
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:28 AM

I had a hysterectomy in July........my stomach went down. My pants feel looser and I am feeling GREAT! No pads. No cramps. I LOVE IT!! I wish I had done this years ago!!
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:45 AM

I sure hope it does. I used to have a very flat stomach even when I had a few pounds on me. Now it is just poochy. I don't know how big the fibroids are but I've been carrying them around for years so they must have been growing. When all is over with I would like to seriously lose some weight and get fit again.
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:54 AM

I'm certainly hoping so!

I had an ablation 2 1/2 years ago. The ablation was wonderful for me! I have only had a few days here and there that I have needed to use a light days liner. It has only lasted 1-2 days and then I'm done for a few months.

The reason I am having the hyster (OMG - TOMORROW!) is because my largest fibroid grew from 3cm - 22cm in the 2 1/2 years. For me it's a good decision. My uterus served me well for almost 40 years, but I'm done with it now. It is growing aliens and getting larger.

My belly pooches, I'm not thin but I do believe and so does my doctor that my belly will not pooch like it does now. She's not giving guarantees but has seen most women's pooches go down afterwards.
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:04 PM

I just had my surgery 3 weeks ago, so I can't really tell about the size but I can say for me I wish I would have done this 7 years ago...back then I was diganosed with fibroids heavy bleeding and lots of blood clots. Things slowed down so I decided to keep my body parts.... This summer I bleed for 3 months straight just enough to have to wear something. That got real old... real fast, now I can happily say I'm done with all that!!!!! After my surgery my DR called to tell me they also found Adenomyosis , and that probably was the most of my problem this time. So far I can say the more time goes by the better I feel, and am amazed that I didn't realize I felt as crappy as I did. So good luck in whatever you choose to do for yourself. Brenda (52) TVH (Fibroids & Adenomyosis) kept Ovaries & Tubes
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate every input. I am 48 and near to menopause which makes the decision hard. When will I get to menopause? When I do will the fibroids shrink? If so how much. I sapose it is vain, but I really don't like the pooch or looking PG

Thanks again everyone!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway