HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

recovery from vaginal mesh revision recovery from vaginal mesh revision

Unread 09-17-2007, 11:15 AM
recovery from vaginal mesh revision

Hi everyone. In 2005, I had a vaginal hysterectomy and my ovaries were left. At the same time, a bladder sling was put in place. Since the 2005 surgery, things have been ok and at other times not ok. I've had battled vaginal atrophy,
bladder spasms, and painful intercourse. This year my husband stopped havng relations with me because he found sex to be to painful for him (it was horrible for me also). On 9/10/07, my gyn did a vaginal mesh revision in an effort to smooth out mesh that eroded through my vagina. Others that have had this mesh revision surgery please tell me how long after did you start to feel like yourself. I find sitting painful and standing painful. I need to work but I want to heal properly. My job is 100% standing for 9 hrs a day.
Unread 09-18-2007, 07:38 PM

Even though the revision surgery is not as extensive as the original mesh augmentation it will take just as long to completely recover. Remember the Dr went back in there, made incisions, and moved things around so there will be sutures, swelling and discomfort for awhile.
I had mesh excision sugery last October. I did go back to work after just 3 weeks but only because my employers are terrific and will pretty much let me do anything I want. I'm a nurse and spend all but my lunch hour on my feet so I started back half days for the first week and just sat doing telephone triage. The next week I worked half day sitting and half day on my feet. I can tell you that for quite awhile I would go to my car at lunch, recline the seat and lie on my side just trying to take the pressure off and I would nap for about 30 minutes. It was just enough to recharge my batteries for the next half of the day.
Everyone heals at a different rate. Since you've already had problems with erosion and have had at least 2 vaginal surgeries, with each successive surgery it can take longer to recuperate. Why not talk to your Dr about what would be a realistic date to return to work? Talk to him about writing a note to your employer about returning to work and any limitations you may have in the early weeks. The most important thing is that you take the time to heal well. It will end up being harder for you in the long run if you return to work too soon and do something that will compromise your repair.
Good luck.
Michelle
Unread 09-20-2007, 11:04 PM

Thanks for your reply. Soon, I will see my doctor for a 2 week exam. I'll use that time to discuss my concerns about recovery. I think I have gotten some anxiety and depression because I thought I would have felt a lot better by now. I now realize that I went into this revision surgery with unrealistic ideas. As you suggested, I will talk to by doctor about returning to work with limitations. At this point, I am focusing on healing properly. Honestly, I want this repair to work because I have gone through a lot of pain and depression.
Unread 09-21-2007, 08:56 AM

trainey--

I, too, had mesh revision surgery--3 times. The last time was this past February when my current doctor removed practically everything possible that was left from my original bladder sling/anterior repair (finally!) and did a traditional anterior colporrhaphy.

With each surgery, I had a recovery period of at least 6 weeks. This one in Feb.'s recovery was at least 3 months and had lifting restrictions even more stringent than any of the previous ones had been. I had additional repairs done at the same time--posterior colporrhaphy and perineoplasty along with an attempted sphincter repair which did count for some of the recovery BUT as Michelle said, it can take longer to recover with aditional surgeries done in the same area.

If your job makes you stand on your feet 9 hours a day, you truly do need to talk with your Dr. about having the full length of a good recovery period off. The Feb. surgery I was told to not lift anything heavier than the TV remote for at least 10 days and to not drive for at least that long, too. (Sheer torture for me!) The weight restriction was lifted very gradually--by about 2 pounds a week for the next few weeks--until I reached the limit of about 20 pounds or so. That's about the lifetime limit recommended by AUGS for women who've had prolapse surgery to help prevent future prolapses. (Lots of good information is on their website augs.org if you ever wish to check it out.)

Sending many good healing thoughts and extra +++ vibes......

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.