HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Fear of being put to sleep Fear of being put to sleep

Unread 09-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Fear of being put to sleep

I am scheduled for a TVH on Sept. 24th. This will be my first ever surgery and I have always had a fear of being put to sleep. Does anyone have any advice? I am also single and will be taking care of myself. Any tips for being home alone after surgery?
Unread 09-17-2007, 02:14 PM

I have read here on Hystersister site that you can request some medicine to help relax you so that you won't fear being put to sleep.

This is my third time of being put to sleep. The first time I was scared a lot, basically it is fear of the unknown. But it's really not all that bad. If you count backward, see how far you will get in your count. I've also noticed that when I've been put under it's like one minute your eyes are closed and the next minute you are awake. It's amazing. It's that quick! (But of course you've been under longer than you really are aware of).

I'm sure that you'll do fine with that aspect of the surgery.

As for being alone, do you have any close friends who could stay with you? Do you have any family around?
I wish that I could help you more with that problem.

Best of luck with your procedure.

--------
52 years young, ovaries are going bye bye, and getting my bladder fixed! YEA!
Unread 09-17-2007, 03:08 PM

i'm always afraid of being put to sleep and always sorry how much i worried after because its really very peaceful. once you have spoken to the anesthesiologist, you can request something to make you very drowsy and relaxed. you wont worry about a thing at that point. good luck with your recovery...hopefully friends or neighbors can help you if you need it.
Unread 09-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Getting put to sleep is always fascinating. I always think there will be a period where you know you are about to go under but you don't.

With this surgery, I got on the table...they put a tiny pillow under my neck (I asked for that and the anestisiologist said "is that okay?"..I remember saying that's fine..they asked for me to stretch out my one arm and the next thing I know I was waking up. ****...I missed the whole thing again! It's a riot.
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM

Talk to the anesthesiologist, and ask a lot of questions, what they're going to use, what the effects are, so on and so forth, and ask about other options. I had the option of an epidural for my TVH in August-sorry not for me, I don't want to know whats going on! You might want to ask about that too. The process now is way different than it used to be or what you see on t.v.. I found it surprising that I was heading to my room so soon after surgery.
The only advise I can give you, make sure you have a comfortable recliner to sleep in, or lots of pillows with in reach, next to a table big enough for a box of kleenex, the remote, a book, and a water bottle. Ignore the stuff that's going to get on the floor, and the laundry, and use paper and plastic if possible. T.V. dinners and microwave stuff is the greatest.
Hopefully, you're recovery will be as painless as mine has been, and your friends and neighbors (maybe even some coworkers) will lend a hand. Good luck and will be pulling for a safe, and mostly painless recovery.
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:33 PM

I have had ten surgeries where I was put to sleep. With my hyst, it was quite casual. Used to be they'd give you the meds in your IV and you'd look up and see one or two people staring down at you and they'd tell you to count backwards from 100, of course you were lucky to get to 97. This time everybody was in there little scrubs and masks doing things here and there, I hear a voice behind me say "Okay, I'm going to give you some medicine" I look over and see my very handsome Dr. in his mask walking toward me and I said "Ooh, I feel woozy" and he waved bye-bye to me. It was quite funny.

Just let your anesthesiologist know that you're very nervous about it and they'll do everything they can to make you feel better. It's very rare for something to go wrong. You just go out and next thing you know you're awake.

As for being alone, try to enlist the help of friends or family. If they can't be with you all day, try to get people to come over for maybe an hour or two at a time and before they leave have them make sure you're going to have everything you need until the next visitor gets there. Try to have someone you can call that will be nearby just in case you need them.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:35 PM

When I had my hyst, it had been a very long time since I had been "under" -- if I remember, it was when I was 5 and had my tonsils out.

I share your fear, and many others do too. You're far from alone.

I was pretty calm until they actually wheeled me into the OR. That's when I said, "I'm getting pretty scared right now." The A-guy said, "Don't worry, I'm going to give you the 'I don't care' drug soon." I looked at him and said, "If I don't wake up from this, I'm going to be VERY disappointed in you." The entire room cracked up, and he said, "Now, what kind of job security would I have if I lost patients?" At that point, everything was OK.

He put the drugs into my vein, and he was right -- I didn't care what they did. They never even put a mask over my face while I was still awake -- they just had me breathe in deep and I drifted off.

As for staying by yourself, I have to say that after the first day or two home, I really could have done it alone, with the exception of changing my bandages. You may want to check and see if you'll need some home health care or if you'll need to get your incision checked more frequently. My dh (bless him) changed my bandages twice a day for six weeks, and he was my primary source of info as to how I was healing in that regard. There was no way I could have done it myself.
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Hi EmeraldGal,

The first time I went under (a prior surgery) I was afraid of the unknown too. This time for some reason I was really nervous. I told the the anesthesiologist (?-sp) to make sure that I was out until done and all the painkillers kicked in. Lo and behold, I could hardly stay awake for the first 24 hours after the surgery!

I too faced being alone. At the last minute, I stayed a couple days/nights at a dear friends house. My Dr was against it. He felt I would be more comfortable in my own home and bed. In retrospect, I probably should have taken his advice. Only the first day when my friend made sure I was eating, was I "dependent".

The "things" I found most helpful, I learned here at hystersisters. I put a small table next to my sofa to roll forward and put elbows and hands on to push myself up. I put a chair (used a dining room chair with high back) backed up to bed. I could pull my upper body up, get close to edge of bed (without too much fear of falling off), hold chair while swinging legs down to floor and then push to stand (ok, hunched stand) position. I also made sure that I had food sources on counter, and in frig, so that I did not need to reach up or down. Used same few dishes, washing every use and kept right there on counter to reuse.

I am 3 weeks post-op today, and stopped needing above "help" items by end of last week. You will be surprised how rapidly you recover --- every few days feeling better. But.... don't push anything if tired. That is the one thing that gets to me ! ! ! Love those naps ! ! !

Take care, and best wishes,
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:48 PM

This was my first surgery too and I was TERRIFIED at the thought of being put under.

So here's how it went...
I went in on the trolley and sifted over to the other bed
"I'm nervous, it's my first time" I said as they started to hook me up to machines (blood pressure)
"No problem", they said, "this will sting a bit" as the needle went into my hand (it didn't feel too bad at all)
"Okay, now we're going to give you something to relax", they said. Cool, I thought - this will be the stuff to sedate me before I go panicky on them.
"Make mine a champagne...!" I shouted (I only realised afterwards that I shouted it)
Then I woke up...
I felt a bit silly that they'd knocked me out mid sentence and that was the last thing I'd said LOL

It was so easy, I wish I hadn't wasted so much stress on it, but it's fear of the unknown and there's little you can do about that.

Hope all goes well and happy recovery
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:56 PM

I bet anesthesiologists have some pretty funny stories to tell! Wouldn't you love to hear some of them?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.