HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

lavh recovery lavh recovery

Unread 09-17-2007, 06:03 PM
lavh recovery

I had a lavh 5 days ago. It is amazing how everyone has an opinion about your recovery. Some people seem to think I should be doing more, but I think "I had an organ removed people" Anyone else who had an lavh what was your recovery like and how much were you doing by day 5? Thanks!
Unread 09-17-2007, 06:19 PM
lavh recovery

I had an LAVH and the only things I was doing on day 5 was walking to the potty, waliking around the house a little, and taking a shower. That would be about it! An LAVH is still major surgery!!!Your insides were still "manhandled" so don't listen to other people. You need to just do what you feel, or what the dr. has allowed you to do!! My dr. let me do NOTHING for 6 weeks~~~no lifting, bending, stretching, pushing, or anything that causes me to strain. I hope this helps.
Unread 09-18-2007, 08:16 AM
lavh recovery

Thank you so much for your reply!! It helped a great deal to hear from someone else who has "been there". I knew it, but other people and their opinions can really make you wonder...I appreciate your support!
Unread 09-18-2007, 08:21 AM
lavh recovery

We all recover at different rates and no one can tell you how you are "supposed" to feel. I went to the shore and Atlantic City 6 days post-op. People called me crazy, but it was what I felt like doing. It goes both ways. I've learned to tell people unless they live in my body....shut-up!
Some of us are fast healers, some of us had more extensive repairs and will heal slower. I've come to realize that there is no such thing as "normal"....there is only what is normal for ME.
Unread 09-18-2007, 08:43 AM
lavh recovery

Some recover faster than others, some slower than others. It is YOUR body and it takes whatever time is required. It is still YOUR health that is important not the other person's. It's not a competition.

I am lucky. I bounced back quick. I was up and down stairs the day I came home...progressing better and better every day. At the 1 week mark I drove and had not problem. I returned to work on day 6.
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:49 AM
lavh recovery

I had a LAVH on 9/14. Hubby went back to work today telling me not to do anything!
I've been walking around the house and yesterday went to the doctor but I'm not going to do anything that will set me back.
However, since I "look so good" certain relatives assume I'm normal-lol! and asked if I could babysit for them-NO!
A nice lady from church, who brought me dinner on Sunday said"Just because you don't have an outward scar doesn't mean you haven't had major surgery". That has helped me alot!
I have read all the magazines in the house though and watching Food Tv is making me hungry!!
Unread 09-19-2007, 11:31 AM
lavh recovery

5 days! I was on my back. I concidered a trip down stairs to the couch a major victory.

You are probably still on pain meds, and you just had a large portion of your lower body removed.

Put your feet up and ask those same people to fetch you a big glass of water. Then take a nap.
Unread 09-19-2007, 11:36 AM
lavh recovery

I was still in the hospital on day five! Only you and your doctor know what is best for you. If you are unsure of how you should be feeling, check with your doctor. You should be trying to walk when you can and be sure to drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest. Eating well is also helpful for healing.

You may want to read through and print the Checkpoints which will give you a general idea of what type of activities are okay at what stage of recovery.

Take care of yourself and best wishes!
Unread 09-19-2007, 02:26 PM
lavh recovery

I had the same procedure and at day 5, I was up and moving around pretty good. I was even up to doing a few hours of work on my computer (checking work e-mail, placing an office supply order, returning calls, etc.) I have found that if I try to do too much, my body tells me. Just set your own pace, only you know how you feel!
Unread 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM
lavh recovery

thank you all for your replies. Today is one week and I feel good. I am up walking around, took a walk around the block today but am listening to my body. No lifting etc.
I still have twinges on my left side and mostly I feel tired by the end of the day. Thanks!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.