HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone use DIM?  Does it help balance? Anyone use DIM? Does it help balance?

Unread 09-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Question - Anyone use DIM?  Does it help balance? Anyone use DIM? Does it help balance?

Anyone use DIM along with their hrt and why? What benefit does it provide?

I am looking for a more natural way to combat menopausal anxiety/depression. I am now on an AD...and don't want to be.

I read that DIM promotes healthier metabolism of both estrogen and pregnenolone sulfate, which is a brain hormone important for memory and affects anxiety.

Does anyone have good results with DIM and mood?

Appreciate any insights...
Unread 09-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Anyone use DIM? Does it help balance?

Hi

I found your post while doing research on HRT/Anti-depressents and thought I'd post a link from one of our own gal's here at HS - hope some of the links she provides can help you. (numerous other links below her post)
I am not famailiar with DIM or the whole AD/HRT thing (I find it a bit confusing) but I'm trying to learn also.

Good luck to us both!

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/arc...?t-146637.html
Unread 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM

Lisse

Thanks for Linda's post. It is very good...

Good luck with your research!!

Unread 09-23-2007, 11:37 PM

Hi I've been taking DIM for a few years now. After the initial few weeks, I had to raise my estrogen patch dosage and lower my testosterone dose -- DIM prevents testosterone from converting to estrogen, and apparently I'd been doing some of that.

I haven't noticed any effect on mood; however, I wasn't having any particular problems in that area before and have never taken antidepressants.

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-24-2007, 09:13 AM

Linda

Thanks so much for your reply.

I would think (sometimes a dangerous thing! ) that if the DIM promotes a healthier metabolism of estrogen you would need a lower dose instead a higher dose? That is interesting. But then again if DIM blocks the "bad" estrogen maybe that is why the body needs more estrogen to relieve symptoms.

Didn't realize that DIM blocks testoserone from converting to estrogen. Good to know....I just thought it kept testosterone more in a free form.

Do you think that DIM is a good preventative supplement for any woman on ert (without a Hx of breast ca)? It seems like it's a great thing to take.
Not one of my hrt books even mention DIM.

Thanks for your insights....it really helps!
Unread 09-24-2007, 10:07 AM

Hi again I think most people probably get enough antioxidants and indoles like DIM in their diet; because I've had most of my colon removed, my diet is necessarily deficient in those things, so I take them in supplement form. I'm not sure, given the cost, that it's worth everyone taking DIM, but that's just my opinion. Of course your DR is the best judge of what's best for you.

Maybe I didn't explain clearly enough why I had to raise my estrogen dose. Prior to starting the DIM, I was using the Vivelle dot .075mg/day plus compounded testosterone 2-3 times a week (1%, just a small dab each time), plus OTC progesterone (a tiny dab nightly). I felt pretty balanced on that combination. A couple of weeks after I started the DIM, I started having symptoms of low estrogen as well as high testosterone - hot flashes, joint pain, irritability, oily skin - and when I increased my estrogen to the 0.1mg/day patch and cut way back on the testosterone, all the symptoms disappeared and I once again felt balanced.

Prior to starting the DIM, unbeknownst to me (who thought the only estrogen I was getting was from my patches, plus maybe a little production in that lovely belly fat we all seem to put on after this surgery), I was apparently converting some of my testosterone to estrogen. The DIM blocked that conversion, and without that contribution, my total estrogen dropped. My testosterone level rose since it was now all staying as testosterone.

Nowadays, I still feel pretty good on the Vivelle dot 0.1mg/day patch. I haven't used any testosterone in weeks, though I keep it around and occasionally use a little dab if I feel 'run down' (not often at all, though), as a booster. It really doesn't take me much testosterone at all to maintain my libido and energy while on the DIM, whereas I had to keep using it before.

I hope that makes it a little clearer. I've been very happy using the DIM, which was the only aromatase inhibitor I could tolerate. However, I worry sometimes that everyone will jump on it as the next great cure-all, prevent-all, and of course it's not that - nothing is, at least that we know of yet.

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-24-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks Linda,

I agree ...nothing is a cure-all.

I'll discuss using DIM with my NP.

Thanks for making it clear!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.