HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Recovery time Recovery time

Unread 09-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Recovery time

Hi everyone! Another newbie here today! Nice to find this place.....

I am scheduled for Dec hyst.

I have a daycare in my home. I am wondering how long of a recovery time I need to schedule. Does it compare to having a c-section. I have two weeks of outside help scheduled as of now. Doc says 4-6 weeks but I usually bounce back pretty quickly from most things.... Do I actually need that long to be back to work? Keep 6wks olds- pre-K children so it does require lifting.
Unread 09-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Recovery time

Hi-
I am scheduled for a TAH TOMORROW! YIKES!
But I run a daycare in my home too!
<oops! link to commercial site removed per site guidelines!>

Lets see, I have 8 three year old boys right now. No babiies to lift (I don't take infants). I am closed tomorrow and Friday. I am off all next week. Thats ONE WEEK. The following Monday I am back in the game, like it or not. My husband runs it with me, so he will be doing most of the work that week, I willprobably spend most of the time on the floor or couch.
Unread 09-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Recovery time

1. It depends. Everyone is different.
2. It depends on the type of H.
3. I had a abdominal H keeping cervix and ovaries. I'm healthy and strong and they kicked me out after 2 days. I returned to desk work on day 6, drove on day 7 and feel more or less normal. I can still feel my insides healing but it is not that uncomfortable. It is a reminder not to lift or do anything too taking on the abdominal muscles. I can lift about 10 lbs and haven't really tried more. I would guess I could lift 20 without incident but until I need to, I will not try. Doctor said trust my instincts, listen to my body. Said I shouldn't tax the abs for 6 weeks but did recognize that everyday life taxes the abs...just not to over do it. Awareness is key. You will know what you can or cannot do.
Unread 09-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Recovery time

I have been doing daycare for 32 years so the stress with taking care of the kids just isn't there.....it's the physical part for myself that I am wondering about.
Good luck with your surgery and recovery!!-Gma
Unread 09-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Recovery time

First remember that everyone heals at their own rate. The suggestion that you will be recovered enough to work in 4 to 6 weeks is just a guide line.

I have a very high tollerance to pain and usually nothing fazes me and I'm an on top of everything type of person. I own my own company and run my business out of my house, I'm a Commercial Interior Designer which means I am driving long distances, walking all over construction sites, climbing stairs in buildings that have no elevators and sitting long hours at my desk or drafting table. But this compares nothing to taking care of children. I know, I've tried it and I commend you for being able to do it.

I had a TAH 7.5 weeks ago. Surgery was on Monday and I was home Thursday. For the first week I was useless. I had to stay on pain pills constantly for 2 weeks. After 3 weeks I felt well enough to drive. After 4 weeks I was feeling OK but still in alot of abdominal pain and trying to manage it with Ibuprophen. At 6 weeks it was determined I had developed an infection behind the vaginal cuff and was put back in bed for 2 more weeks. So IF my Dr. releases me on Monday it will have been 8 weeks.

This TAH was much worse than my C-section which I thought was a breeze. It might be the same external incision but nothing on the inside is the same at all.

I have not worked at all in that time because I have to be very clear in all my directives and totally on top of everything or it can cost alot of people alot of money and I could lose my license or worse, be sued by my clients.

My first question is do your clients know you are having a major surgery? And my only comment is that If i knew the person watching my child was on narcotics (pain meds) or unable to give 100% of their attention to caring for my child, my child would not be there.

I was told not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for the first 4 weeks. The first week and a half I couldn't even do that.

You will only get one chance to heal properly from this MAJOR operation. If you push your self too much too soon you may prolong your recovery by weeks or months. You may do just fine and be able to be back at it full force in 2 weeks but then you may not. My suggestion is plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery
Unread 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Recovery time

[quote=NewWoman44]Hi-
I am scheduled for a TAH TOMORROW! YIKES!
But I run a daycare in my home too!
<oops! link to commercial site removed per site guidelines!>

oops- I didn't know i couldn't put my business website. Well, I think its in my profile, so you can find it there.
Unread 09-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Recovery time

Best course of action is to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Some folks recover very quickly, bounce up and take off at a run. Some take awhile to heal but see daily progress that encourages them. A few have a "two steps forward, one step back" sort of progress toward recovery.

The only thing I can say is, DO NOT LIFT anything heavier than a hardback book, or you will regret it. There will be stitches inside you can't see. You only get this one chance to heal up right. Don't blow it.

Lena
Unread 09-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Recovery time

I was also given the 4-6 week guideline and I thought that I would be ready to go back to work at 4 weeks as I'm young and healthy. I was wrong and I just sit at a desk!

It's not just the physical aspect, but the fatigue that makes it difficult - throw looking after children into that mix and it is going to be tough.

Aim or plan for the 6 weeks, not the 4 weeks. If you do feel okay at 4 weeks, then that will be a bonus! As far as the lifting goes, you shouldn't be lifting anything until you get the go ahead from your doctor, whether you're back at work or not.

Hope it all goes well!
Unread 09-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Recovery time

I do daycare out of my home too.
Doc told me a minimum of 6 weeks off.
I ended up taking 9 weeks off.
I was just too tired all the time and didn't have the patience with the little ones.
Unread 09-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Recovery time

My step mom had this same surgery and was just about her old self after about a week and a half.

After my second c-section I was ready to go out dancing on the 4th might.

I am not a bit concerned about my 10 days off. My job is very relaxing, the children are very well behaved and quite self sufficient. Most of the time I am able to sit on the couch and observe anyway, if I chose to.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.