HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Scar Tissue

Hello Everyone, riding the fence on my decision once again, but I have both legs over this side this time.

I just had my yearly exam. Doc said that she couldn't feel the shape of my uterus because of massive scar tissue (from numerous hemmoragic cysts and 3 surgeries) and she wouldn't even touch my left side because she felt at least 7 cysts on my left ovary.

My question is...If I did happen to get pregnant, what kind of complications would I encounter. She said that the scar tissue placement would almost guarantee that it was attched to my bowel/blatter and intestinal wall. If that started to stretch, would it rip my intestial wall apart? I have a very slim chance of being pregnant anyway, but if I would have to risk my life for that chance, it wouldn't be worth it. Anyone with simular problems/situations? Thanks
Unread 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Scar Tissue

I didn't konow I had scar tissue util after i got pregnant, and it ended up being an eptopic. Rushing me to the hospital to remove the pregancy that was in my falopian tube.
It sounds to me like yours is a lot more than mine was.
A pregnancy would be very dangerous. I know that having a child may be very important to you. But you life is not worth it.
Take care.
Unread 09-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Scar Tissue

Hi Glowstar,
I'm sorry to hear about the scar tissue and cysts. I'm in a similar situation with adhesions, cysts, and a teratoma. I had a TAH/BSO scheduled in July and canceled. I've spent the last 4 months researching surgical options and finally have micro surgery scheduled on Oct 1 to remove my "friends" down there while leaving my reproductive organs in tact. What surgical options has your doctor discussed with you? Have you considered micro surgery to remove your scar tissue and cysts? This option might enable you to have children in the future. Hope this helps. -- Zone
Unread 09-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Scar Tissue

First off, thanks for the replies. I just don't know how to take this anymore. I have had 3 surgeries to remove cysts already, one of which was grapefruit size and I lost 1/2 of my right ovary with it. There is no way to stop the cysts from forming. I can have surgery again, but I'll be back in pain within 4 months. Never fails. Everytime one ruptures, I end up with more scar tissue. The only way to make this stop is to take everything out. I would loose my ovaries for sure, and it's not worth it to keep the rest because I would end up adopting anyway.

9 years is enough. I'm 28, I know that's young, but how many years of pain does one need to suffer? Every year it's just one more sign that points toward the surgery. This year, I found out that I'm polycystic (so no egg matures fully/about 6 at a time, thats why I end up with multiple cysts on my ovaries) and my husband has low mobility. I've been holding on to this "dream" of having bio children for 9 years, just to be slapped in the face. Sometimes you just need to face facts and realize that sometimes your body just isn't going to do what you want it to.

I guess I was just looking for a slim bit of hope, or another sign. I'm getting...sign! Which isn't a bad thing. I think my life is worth more than the pain killers, ER visits and doctor bills. Thanks for listening to my rant. This site is very helpful for me emotionally.
Unread 09-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Scar Tissue

Hi Glowstar,
9 years is a long time to be dealing with these health issues. I've been dealing with mine for less than a year and I thought that was bad! I can only imagine what you've been going through all these years. Have you tried birth control for the cysts? If so, has that helped at all? -- Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowstar
First off, thanks for the replies. I just don't know how to take this anymore. I have had 3 surgeries to remove cysts already, one of which was grapefruit size and I lost 1/2 of my right ovary with it. There is no way to stop the cysts from forming. I can have surgery again, but I'll be back in pain within 4 months. Never fails. Everytime one ruptures, I end up with more scar tissue. The only way to make this stop is to take everything out. I would loose my ovaries for sure, and it's not worth it to keep the rest because I would end up adopting anyway.

9 years is enough. I'm 28, I know that's young, but how many years of pain does one need to suffer? Every year it's just one more sign that points toward the surgery. This year, I found out that I'm polycystic (so no egg matures fully/about 6 at a time, thats why I end up with multiple cysts on my ovaries) and my husband has low mobility. I've been holding on to this "dream" of having bio children for 9 years, just to be slapped in the face. Sometimes you just need to face facts and realize that sometimes your body just isn't going to do what you want it to.

I guess I was just looking for a slim bit of hope, or another sign. I'm getting...sign! Which isn't a bad thing. I think my life is worth more than the pain killers, ER visits and doctor bills. Thanks for listening to my rant. This site is very helpful for me emotionally.
Unread 09-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Scar Tissue

i've tried, Lupron, Provera, Triphasil, Ortho Tricycline, bio-idential hormone therapy, progesterone treatment and a bunch of other things. the lupron and provera took the pain away, but the side effects were horrible and it's not healthy to be on them for prolonged periods. Otherwise, nothing has taken the pain away. I'm always looking for options, but I think I'm at the end of my rope. i've had all the blood work, tests, and more tests. My doctor told me that if he "solved" me, he was going to write a book. I've been called the "queen of unknown diseases". Motivating isn't it. Everything that works for everyone else, doesn't do squat for me. This was much more difficult when I was 20, but now it's getting silly carrying on.
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Scar Tissue

Hi Glowstar,
I don't blame you for feeling like you're at the end of your rope. Maybe your health issues require a doctor with more advanced knowledge. Perhaps your issues are beyond your doctor's scope. I ran into similar problems with the doctors in my area. I'm currently on my way to Pennsylvania for surgery Oct 1 because I couldn't find a doctor in my area with the necessary expertise. I'm including a few names at the end of this post. I'm not sure that I'm allowed to include links in my posts so I'll PM the links to you. Some have web sites with helpful info. Perhaps you could arrange phone consults with them. A few more opinions can't hurt. Dr. Redmond also has a web site. He's not a surgeon but his site has tons of info on PCOS. He's a well-known endocrinologist and might be able to help with the PCOS.

OB/GYN Surgeons

William H. Parker, M.D. Santa Monica, CA
Paul D. Indman, M.D. Palo Alto, CA
Michael E. Toaff, M.D., MSc (MSc=microsurgery certification) Bryn Mawr, PA
Michael Glassner, M.D. Bryn Mawr, PA

Geoffrey Redmond, MD NYC, NY
Endocrinologist. Clinical focus includes PCOS.
Unread 09-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Scar Tissue

I just had a thought on your dream of having children and thought I'd throw this out there. The surgeons listed above, particularly Toaff, have experience dealing with complex gyn problems and fertility issues. In some cases (read Toaff's case studies on his web site) the problems were severe. Some of these women, after corrective and reconstructive surgery, went on to have a successful pregnancy and pain-free lives. Also check out Glassner. Either way, you know what's best for your body and whatever you decide, we'll be here to support you. -- Zone

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.