HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Rectocele/Cystocele 6 months Post Op Rectocele/Cystocele 6 months Post Op

Unread 09-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Rectocele/Cystocele 6 months Post Op

Hi - I am just short of 6 months post op (TAH) and confirmed today with a urogynecologist that I need surgery to repair a rectocele and cystocele. I did have bowel troubles prior to my hyster but never noticed a rectocele. Shortly after I noticed the bulge and it has grown steadily. I actually had never even heard of them but googled my symtoms and three docs later (MD, Gyno, urogyno) here I am.

I read that this is not uncommon post hysterectomy and am wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and how your surgery/recovery went. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
Thanks and blessings!
Judy
Unread 09-21-2007, 05:28 PM

stitchingangel - Check out my reply to Petontx on thread 'recovery update...' I give a little history on my situation...evidently this is a pretty common problem for those of us post-hysterectomy and tho my hyster was 7 yrs. ago I think the medical community is a little more aware these days of this problem occurring after a hysterectomy. It sure was never mentioned to me as a possibility when I had my hyster. I guess when you think about it if there is any possibility of pelvic muscle weakness then things can just fall into the space left from removal of the pelvic reproductive organs. Stay with this site and you will learn a lot about your situation..I think you've gone the right direction with the urogynecologist. Best wishes and BIG HUGS,
Unread 09-21-2007, 06:58 PM

Hi Judy

I'm sorry you have to have more surgery. Just when ya thought things should be back to normal - it's back to the drawing board instead.

I had a posterior repair the year after my hyst. I had expected the surgery to be similar to an episiotomy but it sure wasn't. Although my rectocele was a 3rd degree, it wasn't very big and I still had good perineal support, so my surgeon anticipated it would be a small vaginal repair. Surgery revealed another story and my repair ended up being extensive and much more painful than my hysterectomy. I came home with a foley catheter, but that's not uncommon and it wasn't a big deal.

Some women do very well with surgery, but I was on the wrong end of the bell curve. Part of my problem is that I have difficutly taking pain medication, so I wasn't able to stay on top of the pain. I used ice packs for a long time and got off my feet when I could.

I now need an anterior repair, but just can't afford the necessary recovery time at this point. I'm a year and a half out from the posterior repair and as miserable as it was, I am still very glad I did it. I needed the repair and it was worth it.

I hope you do well- just like many women do! Allow ample time for healing and remember to pamper yourself.

Best wishes & gentle s
Beth
Unread 09-22-2007, 09:31 AM

I'm fairly certain I'm in the same situation as you. I'm upset about my situation, but I'm not sure who I'm upset with if that makes sense. I had my LAVH and bladder sling 3 months ago and it has been nonstop problems since. My bladder issues were so bad they thought it was neurological. In hindsight, I'm sure it was damage to my muscles and ligaments that then caused weakening.

I will see a Urogyn in less than two weeks. I'm not sure if I would have changed anything, but I did not realize this could/would happen and how often this does happen. I am upset at the path I have been on the past 3 monhts, as I thought I was done with surgeries and problems.

So does this surgery repair mean inpatient and is it more or less painful than a hyst? The recovery seems the same correct?

Please keep us updated.
Unread 09-22-2007, 11:38 AM

I guess some of us have had to learn the hard way. One of the risks associated with hysterectomy is vaginal prolapse. When Drs discuss the risks associated with surgery they mostly focus on the here and now discussing complications with anesthesia, blood clots and such. Rarely do they mention complications that can happen in the not to distant future, like prolapse. It really is up to us to be our own advocates and to research procedures and their risks and complications.

Judy, I have not exactly been the prolapse poster child. As you can see from my signature I have had several surgeries for rectocele, cystocele and enterocele. What I can tell you is that you should never expect to be 100% better in the Dr's self prescribed 6 week recovery. Yes you will feel better every day but honestly, you won't feel like a new woman for at least 10-12 weeks. Do exactly what your Dr recommends for restrictions and if he's the lenient type impose your own restrictions. Doing too much too soon is one of the reasons for surgical failure.
Good luck!
Michelle
Unread 09-22-2007, 02:02 PM

I am now about to have a repair for rectocele/cystocele, and possible fistula. This was a problem for me twice before and actually before my hyst. I had to have anterior and posterior repairs with my hyst. The hyst did not bother me, the rectocele repair hurt, bad. Still hurts sometimes. I am aware that my bladder has now prolapsed, not sure bout the rectum yet. I know that I am in more and more pain. I need to get it fixed ASAP. It is not fun to go through. I grow more and more frustrated with it. I know that I truly did overdo it after my surgery. I wish you the best. I promise myself that when I have this surgery again, I will not do anything doc says I can't. I redid bathrooms, and worked in the yard after my last surgery. It wasn't really that strenuous I thought, but I think it was enough for the muscles to heal back weaker. I can't hardly even do kegels now.
Unread 09-22-2007, 04:10 PM

Hi Judy,
Please take your time and get a good doctor, hopefully a uro/gyn. Get more than one opinion and make sure you are comfortable with the method of repair - know the risks. I have read that it can take your body 6-12 months to recover from the hysterectomy - so please give yourself time. Also be aware that a cystocele and rectocele although uncomfortable are not life threatening - so no rush. I am one of the ladies that had my hysterectomy because of a prolapsed uterus and a cystocele and rectocele. Unfortunately neither my original surgery nor the a&p repair 16 months later worked, so I have decided to live with it for as long as I can stand it. My heart goes out to you, I hope you find a great doctor and everything goes perfectly! Hugs.
Unread 09-22-2007, 05:43 PM

Thank you all SO MUCH for your insight and caring. I am extremely pleased with the urogyno I saw. All she does is vaginal repair and/or reconstruction. She comes highly recommended and I was referred by a gyno I also trust.

I have two months until surgery is scheduled and will be doing physical therapy (who knew???) on my vag and using the vag estrogen to strengthen hopefully. She told me that post op the lack of estrogen can cause the vaginal walls to thin and weaken and dry out and that oral estrogen does not necessarily address this.

I, too, did too much too fast after my hyst and will not repeat that mistake. I am very concerned as what I am reading/hearing is that this only works about 50 per cent of the time.

Thanks again for the wonderful responses. I had my hyst on emergency basis and didn't have the good fortune of preparing by sharing on this great site! I'm very grateful for it now.
Blessings,
Judy
Unread 09-25-2007, 07:24 AM

Peytontx - According to the doc, I will be just in hospital overnight. However, I have heard the pain is equivalent to, if not workse, than hyster. Andy feedback on that would be greatly appreciated.

I've noticed a lot of increased lower back pain that is increasing in intensity and frequency. Also, I feel very sore and raw in my vagina. I thought this was all going to be over!!

I would love to hear how others recouperations have gone. I understand there is a possiblity of going home with a cath and bag??

Thanks and blessings,
Judy
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:40 PM

Today is the one year anniversary of my TVH/BSO. It went well but I noticed the first week that things did not look right...things were bulging out! Turns out I had a rectocele and cytocele. My Dr was so surprised and said it just never happens!!?? Right! I went to PT for 2 months which helped cystocele but rectocele just got worse and worse.

So 4 months later I had a rectocele repair and he rebuilt the perineal floor. Dr did not think it would be a big repair ut it ended up being quite extensive.
And VERY painful. My bladder quit working for days even tho he never touched it and I had a foley for 5 days at home. It has been 7 1/2 months since that repair. Thanks to all the wonderful ladies here I did not overdo and followed every restriction to the letter. It was a very rough time but I would do it all again. I still have some issues with perineal scar tissue but I can live with it.

I agree with the good advise here. Get a good Dr, research and then let yourself heal! Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.