HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Perforated or Nicked Bladder Perforated or Nicked Bladder

Unread 09-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Perforated or Nicked Bladder

Ok...I'm 9 weeks post op now. My doc nicked my bladder during the hysterectomy...I'M OK NOW...but I still feel like things aren't quite right. I've had UTI's, Yeast infections, and constantly feel like "I gotta go"..or "I have the burning feeling"...ok...anyone else have a perforated bladder?

I had to had an emergency surgery 2 days AFTER my LAVH repair the perforation. I had a jp in the hosptial for three days, and came home with a suprapubic tube whch was removed a week after my discharge.

Help me to know I'm not alone. I know these things happen. I'm NOT suing my doc for malpractice...there was scar tissue from my c-section. He did the best he could. I feel alone, and I'm tired of the "I feel sorry for you" attitude I get from everyone!

I'm just so daggoned tired! I teach, and at the end of the day/week, I'm exhausted. I also go to grad school two nights a week...I'm mom to a 15 year old DD who is into field hockey at school; DH IS AWESOME and so supportive. Thankfuly DS is away at college. I'm so daggoned pooped it's nearly painful Doc has me on anti-depressants for 6 months to get me over the hump of getting back into life!

Anyone got some encouraging words???
Unread 09-22-2007, 02:41 PM

Sounds like you have had a bit of a rough road! It is great that your DH has been supportive during all of this -- that is a huge help!

You may want to do a site search for other threads discussing a nicked or perforated bladder. We have had some and they may offer you some support.

I wish you all the best and hope things start looking up soon!

s
Unread 09-22-2007, 06:05 PM

So sorry that you have had to deal with this problem. It just happens sometime. I also had a knicked bladder during my TLH BSO. I also have no intention of suing my doctor. My bladder was fused to my uterus. The bladder was cut while separating the organs. The cut was noticed immediately and repaired right then. I did have to come home with a Foley catheter. It was my companion for two weeks. I had constant bladder spasms. It was almost unbearable but with pain meds, preventive antibiotics, and med for bladder spasms I managed to keep it for the two weeks. At week one I begged the doctor to take it out. She explained that if taken out too soon that I could develop a fissure between the bladder and vagina. That was enough to convince me to tough it out. I just had my 6 week post-op and she said everything looks good. She did an internal exam. I do still have bladder spasms when I put off going to the bathroom as soon as I should. Hopefully that will get better with time. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.
Unread 09-22-2007, 06:15 PM

Hi Senior Sister...

Not that I wish you anything bad, but it is comforting to know that I'm not alone. I guess adehesions from my c-section made things more difficult. The adenomyosis, scar tissue and size of my uterus just proved to be difficult for the doctor. He told me that I had considerable blood loss (thankfully didn't need transfusion) and he had a tough time during surgery. The hyst. was laproscopic, but ended up with a brand new vertical scar for the bladder repair.

I hope things get better for you as well. I feel fine, I'm just so tired! Exhausted is not even enough to describe how I feel. I know every week is better than the week before, it's just that after 9 weeks, I'm tired of being tired!

I go back to the urologist at the end of November for a follow-up...I keep thinking I should go now, I always have that feeling that I gotta go, that my baldder doesn't empty completely, or that the UTI is returning. It's been two weeks since the last one, so maybe I'm making things up. Who knows!?

Well, thanks for your reply! Again, it's comforting to know that I'm not alone in this. I know it happens, I think I read somewhere that it's like 1%. Pretty slim, huh?

Have a great night/day!
Unread 09-30-2007, 05:03 PM

I thought I was alone. My bladder too was nicked during my surgery on August 16th. Doctor said it was because my bladder was higher than normal due to everything being stuck together. I went home with a cathater for 9 days. Everyone I tell looks at me and says they never heard of that happening, so I felt even worse that it happend to me and that maybe it was the doctors fault. He brought in a urologist to stitch it up in surgery. I had everything removed and I too am 46, but with no children. I feel so much better now that I know that I am not alone. After I go to the bathroom and think I am finished, a stream comes from nowhere.. that's the scarry part!

I also feel so tired all the time, I can sleep all day long. I'm right there with ya. Let's hope for better days ahead!!

:
Unread 10-01-2007, 11:09 AM

The good news is...Better Days Are Ahead!!
I am just over 10 weeks post-op. After a couple of UTI's and a yeast infection, I thought I'd never get to the point of feeling like myself again. But I am getting there.

It's been long 10 weeks. I ask questions such as "Why did this happen to me?" Well, then, why not? God does have a purpose in all He does. We may not know the answer right now, in the future, or EVER...but trusting in Him has been in the forefront of my mind since it did happen. I do know that I am healing and getting stronger each day. Yeah, I'm REALLY tired by the end of the week, and my classroom full of kids wears on me quicker than they had in the past, but I also know that God will never give me more than I can handle. Sometimes, I think He's up there laughing, but I have better faith than to believe that.

Things could have been worse. I read some of the other posts, and realize how much worse things could have been. So, I count my blessings , give thanks for the continual healing, and continue to support other sisters.

Thank Him for the ladies who began this website! Think of how you and I might feel had we not had this place to find other women like us. Yeah, it's comforting to know that we are not alone. Things get brighter each day.

Good Luck in your recovery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.