HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What is a cervical cuff? What is a cervical cuff?

Unread 09-22-2007, 08:18 AM
What is a cervical cuff?

I was curious if I get to keep my cervic since I'm having LAVH on Oct. 8th. So I called Dr.'s office. Nurse called me back at work. I asked her she said no, they are taking it. You won't need it & it's to prevent cervical cancer in the future. Okay. They'll be doing a cervical cuff (if I heard her say it right.) What is that? I asked her if the it hurts more & the recovery is differnt. She said no. I don't know if she's had a hysterectomy or not. Having been here for a while not sure what to believe. Those that have had hysterectomy or that of a nurse that may or may not have had a hysterectomy. She proceeded to tell me to make a list of questions to take to hospital - as I won't be having a pre-op appointment prior to surgery other than when I'm waiting for surgery. Thank God it's scheduled for 6:00 a.m. (7:30 a.m. surgery time). Now am I going to remember what he says prior to immediate surgery. I think NOT!! Is he going to write down the answers so I know what he says.

I would appreciate any advice/words of wisdom.
Also, how do you feel prior to surgery & after (recovery) I can't really feel anything other than when I have bad periods which is about every three weeks. Do you feel lighter/empty inside.
Unread 09-22-2007, 08:40 AM
What is a cervical cuff?

I had my cervix removed and where they sewed it up is a vaginal cuff. I haven't had any problems with it and was healed up by six weeks. I feel just about back to normal now. I don't feel lighter or empty but my pants fit better. I really haven't noticed any difference not having a cervix but getting rid of the uterus has been great!
Unread 09-22-2007, 10:12 AM
What is a cervical cuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmightyv
I had my cervix removed and where they sewed it up is a vaginal cuff. I haven't had any problems with it and was healed up by six weeks. I feel just about back to normal now. I don't feel lighter or empty but my pants fit better. I really haven't noticed any difference not having a cervix but getting rid of the uterus has been great!

Couldn't have said it better.

You will be surprised how well you feel so soon after. I had an LAVH just about 7 weeks ago. I have a cuff. I feel GREAT!!!!

Good luck!
Unread 09-22-2007, 12:10 PM
What is a cervical cuff?

You might find the Post-Op Article, Vaginal Cuff - What is it? helpful. My cervix was removed and I haven't missed it at all. I never experienced any pain with my vaginal cuff. My recovery was smooth and it healed just fine. Everything feels the same to me.

Pre-Op Articles has a great list of questions to ask your doctor at your pre-op appointment and you can find it here.

Hope this helps you a little.

s, Deb

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.