HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can you have alcohol a few days before surgery? Can you have alcohol a few days before surgery?

Unread 09-25-2007, 04:56 AM
Can you have alcohol a few days before surgery?

I have a question I just thought of after reading something from abother post...

Is it ok to drink alcohol a few days before surgery? Since I'll be down for a while healing, I was wondering if it would be ok to do it up this weekend. Possibly any way...I don't know if I'll actually even feel like doing it up once the weekend is here, but I was thinking that maybe DH and I can get together with friends for dinner and drinks. This would be Saturday night, and my surgery would be Wednesday. I don't by any means HAVE to consume alcohol, so please be as honest as possible. Will definitely do whatever is best for my body, but if it's ok and unrelated to surgery...then it could be quite a fun Saturday night!!!
Unread 09-25-2007, 05:34 AM

I didn't have any alcohol restricitons before surgery, however you might want to check with your doctor. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great weekend!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
Unread 09-25-2007, 06:14 AM

Abstaining from alcohol in the prior to your surgery is very important. You'll be given anesthesia and painkillers, and your liver will need tdo work effeciently to eliminate these from your system.

Alcohol consumption can also increase the risk of surgical infection, as show in this article:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...8/ai_111895680

If you have any questions about drinking alcohol before surgery, please check with your doctor.
Unread 09-25-2007, 06:55 AM

It all depends on your doctor. Mine said to go ahead and have margarita night, others say not to.
Unread 09-25-2007, 07:11 AM

I sure hope it is OK since we are planning a farwell to my uters party on Friday! My surgery is the 5th... I will have one for you! One of my friends that is attending the party is a DR and she has not said anything to me about not drinking... We should be just fine. Have LOTS of fun!
Unread 09-25-2007, 07:14 AM

My doctor said I could have alcohol up to 24 hours before. But after that it was off limits. Check with your doctor.
Unread 09-25-2007, 07:34 AM

In addition to the excellent reasons mentioned by Catherine above for not drinking alchohol before surgery, here's another one.

Even small amounts of alchohol can encourage dehydration. I know that my Dr had me drink lots and lots of water in the days before my surgery to make sure I was plenty hydrated. Adequate hydration just helps things go better.

Do check with your Dr's office though if you decide you want to enjoy that drink. You don't want to find out the morning of your surgery that he doesn't allow it It might get your surgery postponed.

s and Best Wishes,
Kay
Unread 09-25-2007, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the advice and good/solid information ladies! Fortunately for me, my pre-op is this afternoon, so I'll be able to see what my doc advises today. I planned to send a new post about how my pre-op went, so I'll definitely include my docs answer for this. No worries though...if I do get the ok, I certainly wouldn't go overboard. (And I'll be sure to doubly hydrate the next day) A couple delicious strawberry daiquiries (with extra whip cream ) and I'll be good to go. Celebration fit to send any princess off to the castle!!!
Unread 09-25-2007, 08:25 AM

I was given a list of things I could not take at 10 days before surgery. Alcohol was on the list along with asprin, ibuprophen, Tylenol and Aleve. They also had me stop my multivitamins and calcium.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.