Possible nerve damage? | Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Possible nerve damage? Possible nerve damage?

Unread 09-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Angry - Possible nerve damage? Possible nerve damage?

I am 3 weeks post my LAVH. I have already dealt with a bladder infection. I have nerve damage in my upper right thigh (has finally stopped hurting but is still numb), which the Doc. says will resolve itself in a few months but I'm not so sure. 1 week post op I noticed liquid coming from my vagina. I am certain it is urine. He sent me to have a series of X-Rays with contrast and they pronounced that there was nothing wrong with my bladder. I think they are denying this and hoping it will resolve. I'm not sure where to turn. Should I go see a urologist? Neurologist? I feel like I was brutalized in that operating room!!!

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Possible nerve damage?

ok honey, first of all let me say, calm down ok. Our minds really can make more of what is really going on. I am not a doc, but I can tell you some things that may or may not reassure you so here goes. I too had some numbing after my hyst. Now nearly 2 years later, my belly is still numb in some places. Here is what you need to know:first off, nerves are capable of regenerating, but it takes time and you are still early in your recovery. One week post op it is entirely possible to have some liquid coming from your vagina as things are still very open and just beginning to heal. I would wait and give it a little more time before I would freak out and go see different docs. Everything is still new in there, after a hyst, your body will need to adjust to accomodate the missing organs. Just like when we have kids, our body adjust to make room for them. Now those organs are not there, and our body has to take time to move and juggle everything around until it gets where it needs to be. Now, if you are still experiencing the nubmbness months later, I would maybe start freaking a bit. Course, you know your body better than anyone else, so for one, try to be patient. It is not easy recovering from this surgery, no matter how uninvasive it was. I hope all goes well for you and remember that if it is something that is really concerning you to that point, go to the dr.
Unread 09-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Wink - Possible nerve damage? Relax, too soon.

Hi mwheel8
Hi, I also think it is far too early to be worrying so much, 3 week is a very short time for your insides to have really started to heal, and if you had a infection there would be some kid of fluid coming out, also with any wound that is inside it heals a lot slower, and moisture comes from it, It will take a good 6 weeks to know if there is anything wrong with your bladder, as it takes about that leanth of time for stitches to heal and desolve, so in the mean time why don,t you relax and take it easy and let nature do the rest,
And rest as much as you can, look after yourself, and I wish you well, I will be thinking of you.
Dolo1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Possible nerve damage?

I agree with Peanut741tn and Dolo1 it is so , so early in your recovery. We all get frustrated with the amount of time and the new "things" that our bodies are dealing with. I am four months postop ,and a few inches down from my navel , my belly still hurts to the touch. I am healing.

I had malignant melanoma, on my left thigh, surgery last October. The oncologist took a nice piece of thigh out and I still can't feel from the surgery site to my knee. Nerves may or may not regenerate.

So hang in there and be patient with your body. Relax and be good to yourself.
Unread 09-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Possible nerve damage?

Hi there...just wanted to add to the others. Give yourself time I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago...and have a small numb spot still present on my right thigh. Its smaller than it was at first and I'm guessing that the numbness that is still there will stay. Positioning during surgery is usually the cause of numbness in the thigh. Unfortunately, to get to the area they are working in the nerves in our legs do tend to stretch during surgery and can lead to mild permanent numbness. I'm a urology nurse, so when I went into surgery I was a little more informed than most...and knew to possibly expect it. As for the fluid loss from the vagina, its not uncommon to have fluid collections after surgery, its part of the bodies natural healing process. Bladder infections too are quite common after this type of surgery. I'm so sorry youre experiencing all of this...but I'm sure given a little time....most all of this will improve and resolve for ya.
Good luck and I'll say lots of prayers for a speedy recovery for you!

Michelle
Unread 10-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Possible nerve damage?

mwheel8,
I agree with the ladies on the above posts about the liquid and it being early in the recovery process. For me it took a lot more than even the 6 weeks in the recovery process.
For me it has almost been a year because of complications. I have nerve damage and it is now thought to possibly be cronic. I am on amitriptyline for the pain management and have been on this since Jan (I think).
My nerve damage has caused a great deal of pain but no numbness.
Hang in there and try to not stress over these things. Call your Dr if these things don't get better with time. Take good care of yourself!
Wishing you a good recovery and that you won't have complications!
Unread 10-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Smile - Possible nerve damage? Possible nerve damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheel8
I am 3 weeks post my LAVH. I have already dealt with a bladder infection. I have nerve damage in my upper right thigh (has finally stopped hurting but is still numb), which the Doc. says will resolve itself in a few months but I'm not so sure. 1 week post op I noticed liquid coming from my vagina. I am certain it is urine. He sent me to have a series of X-Rays with contrast and they pronounced that there was nothing wrong with my bladder. I think they are denying this and hoping it will resolve. I'm not sure where to turn. Should I go see a urologist? Neurologist? I feel like I was brutalized in that operating room!!!

Help!
I had upper right thigh pain, too. It lasted about 4 to 6 weeks and got milder every day. Didn't know it was normal but have heard a few woment talk about it. I'm 4 months post-op now and it's completely gone. The only problem i'm dealing with is painful intercourse, now. had it before surgery but it's different now. I seem to be the only one in my forum (before they got rid of it at 8 weeks) so don't wory too much about that happening to you. I'll be seeing gyn at the end of october, had a normal vag. ultrasound a month ago.
I also leaked yellow fluid for quite a while after surgery. everyone else in my forum had either blood or nothing. I didn't think about it possibly being urine, but i have to admit tht's waht it looked like. anyway, it's gone as well. still have a little discharge, i think it's normal but i'll ask at the end of october appointment.
I hope you're feeling better every day. remember to follow the rules. they're there because you get one chance at healing properly, with little scar tissue .
Unread 10-03-2007, 05:32 AM
Possible nerve damage?

You are so early into your recovery. You'll find you may have aches and pains in places you never thought were due to your surgery. During any vaginal surgery your legs are elevated like you were doing floor bicycling exercises and placed on large stands and strapped into place.
I found it very strange that since my last vaginal surgery anytime I kneel down on the floor I get a sharp pain on the side of my left calf. I'm sure it's because of the way my leg was strapped during surgery, it probably caused some nerve impingement.
If your pain lasts longer than your recovery period maybe you could get a referral to a neurologist. That is the type of Dr who can diagnose nerve damage and connect you with the right type of treatment for the problem.
Michelle
Unread 10-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Possible nerve damage?

I had numbness in my inner upper thigh for a quite a while. I can't say when it went, but it was a few months at least. The discharge is also normal. I had yellowish discharge for 8 weeks. Take care of yourself and try not to worry too much.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register