HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What is the difference between endometrial ablation and a D and C What is the difference between endometrial ablation and a D and C

Unread 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
What is the difference between endometrial ablation and a D and C

I don't understand the difference - I flooded 24 extra heavy pads in 24 hours. The doctor ordered a pelvic ultrasound and said I may have to have an endometrial biopsy. I told him they tried to do one years ago and my uterus was not easily accessed. So he said I may have to have either a D and C or Endometrial ablation (Hydro ThermAblator).

I forgot to ask him the difference. So would love an answer to this.

Thank you.

Willa
Unread 10-04-2007, 05:45 PM

Hi, I've had both of those procedures done BH (before hyster)...endometrial ablation is where they use a form of heat to burn the endometrial lining. Mine was done electricially last Nov. A D&C is where they dialate your cervix then scrape out the endometrial lining. Both procedures are for helping to slow down the menstrual flow. The D&C in 1999 lasted only about 6 months for me...the ablation helped dramaticially. I was told that most women never get another period after an ablation....not me!! couldn't be that lucky...I even had regular (heavy) menses while breastfeeding, twice! Then in June found out that there was cervical cancer....so had no option but to proceed with the hyster that I put off for years due to very very heavy bleeding. Good luck, hope I helped with your question
Unread 10-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Thank you so much for replying - I was so frustrated because I thought I hadn't posted properly.

I do hope that you are doing well after the hyster. and the cancer diagnosis.

Yes, you answered my question - but I wonder why they decide to use one treatment above the other.

Thank you.

Willa
Unread 10-04-2007, 07:08 PM

The D & C are supposed to help, but I hear they are mostly temporary. My mom told me she's had about 8 of them in her lifetime.

I'm actually having one with a fibroid removed as well, and then a possible ablation at the same time. Ablation is supposed to be permanent. Since
it's supposed to burn away your lining, it's supposed to minimize bleeding more.

Hope that helped,
OneSillyChic
Unread 10-04-2007, 07:13 PM

Thank you, I just read on one of the sites that an ablation is a permanent removal - so that does help.

Willa
Unread 10-05-2007, 05:35 AM

Hi again, I think talking out your options with your doctor and learning as much about each procedure before choosing which one would be best for you would be in your best interest. I was so scared with the thought of having a hyster just for heavy bleeding that I chickened out twice. The hospital called with surgery dates and I politely said no thanks....changed my mind. Now in hind sight...the waiting time for my hyster (less than a month) was in fact the hardest most scary part of the whole thing. Yes I am doing excellent....and the cancer was contained just to the one spot. Many little visits still to go with my gyn...I do not mind tho....he is very handsome and funny and the same age as me (40) which was akward for me at first They keep getting younger and younger, or is it me getting older?? Best wishes with your decision.
Unread 10-05-2007, 10:53 AM

Thank you so much for your new response. I do not want a hyster - I also have a prolapse and the doctor told me if he did a hyster on me - it would be a huge job of repair - so I opted for a pessary and that was 5 years ago - I have done pretty well with it - now if we can just control the bleeding.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.