Constipation relief? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Constipation relief? Constipation relief?

Unread 10-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Constipation relief?

I've been home a couple of days and one of the nurses just called me to see if I have had a bm yet. Um,,,no.... I've kind of been avoiding solid foods for that reason. I've lost 6 lbs. since last week. But she said it is time and if I don't start eating and going I'm going to be sorry. So, now I want to know. What will help? I'm eating fiber cereal, prunes, canned peaches, lots of water. Today I took a stool softener pill. I thought all this water would flush me out. Even the hot coffee in the morning isn't doing anything. Any advice?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Constipation relief?

slipperlady,

I ate alot of fresh fruit (apples, pears, strawberries, blueberries). I also took a stool softener every night for 2 weeks, then everyother night for a week, then 2x per week (just to ween my body off of them).

Also, make sure to use a pillow when trying to go. It hurt at first so of course I didn't want to go - good trick, get a book or puzzle books to help you relax.

Are you still having gas problems? If so, here's a trick I learned

Take an antacid followed by hot liquid (black coffee, plain tea, or just water) give it a few minutes then start your walking. I couldn't believe the difference in how fast the pressure and pain from the bloating went away.

Hope this helps

JHHallie
Unread 10-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Constipation relief?

Drinking pineapple juice did the trick for me.
I also took 2 stool softeners a day and ate 4 prunes everyday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Constipation relief?

the only thing that helped me was milk of magnesia. i was taking stool softners and they did nothing. once i went after the m.o.m., i started going more regularly.
Unread 10-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Constipation relief?

What if you have tried all of that and still can't be regular. I am 5 weeks post TAH, and am in screaming crying agony today. I have yet to have a BM without an enima. I called the doctors office and they said it takes time to work itself back to normal.

I drink plenty of water, taken the stool softner, myrlax, fibercon. I go everyother day but it is a big production. I keep trying to calm myself down and try to breath.

I am so ready to be over this, but my body isn't coorperating. I thought by now I would be feeling fine and shopping before heading back to work. The way I fee I can't work and haven't been in a store for weeks.
Unread 10-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Constipation relief?

Thankfully I haven't had a problem. I went Thursday for the first time and again this morning. So far so good.

I've been eating regular food. An apple and a banana each day, as well. So far it's been working.

Good luck!
Unread 10-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Constipation relief?

I don't know. If something doesn't happen soon, I'm sending DH out for a Fleet and some suppositories!
Unread 10-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Constipation relief?

I had my LSH on a Monday and went for the first time that Friday. I ate prunes each day (had forgotten how good they really are)...salads for lunch and took a stool softener a couple of times a day.

Other than that, I ate my normal diet.
Unread 10-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Constipation relief?

the only thing that has been working for me is a salad. a big salad at least once a day keeps everything working. and an apple doesn't hurt either.
Unread 10-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Constipation relief?

Does your first BM hurt?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register