HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Clitoral or Urethra pain? Clitoral or Urethra pain?

Unread 10-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Clitoral or Urethra pain?

Hi Ladies,
I feel embarrassed to ask this, but here goes. I had a TAH on 9-13-07. Since then I have had pain and pressure in the bladder which seems to be getting better with a medicine my doctor gave me for bladder spasms. My problem is I still have a strange sensation in the clitoral area almost like iI need to masturbate or rub it. I even tried that but got no relief. I don't know if this sensation is coming from the urethra or the clitoris. The doctor treated me for yeast infection also, I don't have a UTI because my urine came back clear. I kind of feel like I have to pee 24/7
Can anyone help me?
Unread 10-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Hello. I checked your public profile, and it seems as if, in addition to having a hyst (removal of uterus/cervix) you had "bso," removal also of ovaries, and probably fallopian tubes. If you don't have ovaries, your body is struggling with its need for estrogen. This causes itching and burning and pain sensations, especially the first months out. The sudden dryness, too, leads to irritation, and the irritation can cause a feeling of needing to relieve the bladder all the time. Many women end up with bladder infections caused primarily from the dryness. If your doctor would clear you for this, perhaps consider getting some KY jelly and using it to wet your external genitalia, so that you have some liquid there. I had hoped to go without hormones of any kind, but it turned out that the dryness overpowered my concerns about avoiding hormones, so I started using Vagifem (inserted vaginally), once healing had occurred about six months out.

I hope someone comes along soon who has other suggestions for you. In the meantime, try to avoid scented soaps, maybe dry panties in the air or else don't use anything buy hypoallergenic dryer sheets if you use the dryer for panties, and by all means use only cotton panties, as nylon and polyester can cause irritations in the labia.

I hope you get some relief really soon.
Unread 10-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Believe it or not, my dr. told me I could use Olive Oil or Crisco on my clit*ral area. I have also used Bacitracin following Sitz Baths 3x a day. Both have been prescribed by my surgeon, as he found a discharge and I was having pain in that area (particularly after peeing!).

I go back to him on Thursday, and I will have been on this treatment for 2 weeks!!

Such fun!

Brenda
Unread 10-07-2007, 01:19 PM

I have heard such recommendations before as to olive oil and crisco, but in truth, this sounds a little dangerous to me. The conditions under which oils for the kitchen are produced are quite unlike the sterile conditions under which products for vaginal use are produced. Regulations would differ markedly. So IMHO, it's probably safer to use products made explicitly for the vaginal area on the vagina. My doctor warned against greasy products, which can harbor bacteria. KY and products like it tend to be made from water base solutions rather than oil-based products. I hope, Westielover, that you will seek your physician's advice, in any case, and best wishes to you in your recovery from surgery.
Unread 10-07-2007, 02:26 PM

It's so hard when so many doctors give such different opinions. You've got me nervous, now, blueheron, as I certainly don't want bad bacteria down there. I have also been prone to yeast infections, so I don't even know all that Bacitracin will be for that area. Sometimes you feel like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Definitely seek out your own doctor's advice, though!

Maybe it's because my doctor is Italian (hence the olive oil recommendation???). He is a highly respected surgeon, though, who is quoted extensively in big Endometriosis books that I've read. It can be so confusing sometimes!!

Brenda
Unread 10-07-2007, 02:40 PM

O dear, I really didn't mean to worry you, Brenda, or anyone, but it's just that the sterile conditions under which medical materials are produced seem more appropriate to our delicate vaginal areas than the conditions under which cooking oils might be produced. Some doctors recommend vitamin E as a solution to use, too, but I'd even stay away from that, because you never know how these oils are made. My surgeon (who is Italian American!) was quite clear. He even recommended, if I felt that KY jelly felt too greasy (it doesn't, and I use it and find it quite relieving) my using Astroglide as a solution. I actually find Astroglide sticky and don't like it at all. I have also used the product sold on this site, Very Private Intimate Moisture. Its texture is even more watery than KY jelly and tends to dry out more quickly.

The other suggestions are worth considering, though -- aim to air dry your panties, or else do make sure that you use dryer sheets that have no allergens or fragrance, if you use a dryer for your panties. Also, try very soft cotton panties instead of nylon or even part-nylon or part-polyester products. And finally, aim to have panties that fit you -- even if it means buying a size or two larger than you imagine you are. (and that goes for outside pants, too) The constant rubbing between our legs is something we do to ourselves, sometimes. By having clothes that are plenty big enough, we can save ourselves lots of problems. I tended to wear -- and still wear -- loose dresses. That way, there is no pressure on my groin/vaginal area whatsoever when I am seated. I'm sorry I worried you. Best wishes to you all, ladies!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway