HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Estriol Effects -- Urinary Urgency - Which estrogen helps most? Estriol Effects -- Urinary Urgency - Which estrogen helps most?

Unread 10-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Estriol Effects -- Urinary Urgency - Which estrogen helps most?

After trying Premarin and Vagifem, I have found a dr. that prescribes bioidentical hormones. I was prescribed 1 gm. of Estriol vaginal cream last week to use every night! The outside of my vagina feels irritated and burns. I am, also, suffering from urinary urgency and frequency so I am desperate for some relief. Could the burning be from the constant urinating and vaginal dryness and hopefully not the cream? I need some relief -- this has been going on for 10 months now! HELP!
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:19 AM

Maybe you are having a reaction to the cream base. I would suggest that you call your Dr. and let him/her know what you are experiencing. Maybe you would benefit from a compounded cream. I have very sensitive skin and have had good luck with the compounded creams not irritating/burning me.

I hope you feel better soon.

s and Best Wishes,
Kay
Unread 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM

Thank you, but I am using a 100% estriol cream compounded! Hope if eventually works!
Unread 10-08-2007, 10:40 AM

The first cream my pharmacist gave me caused me burning and itching. When I told him about my reaction, he changed it to a milder one. Maybe there is a milder one your pharmacist can use? If this burning is a new symptom, you might also want to check and make sure you don't have an infection.

I do hope you feel better soon.

s,
Kay
Unread 10-08-2007, 01:33 PM

Are you using just estriol cream and how often? The burning and irritation just started when I started on the cream last week. I'm using it every night right now. Thanks, Mae Dean
Unread 10-08-2007, 01:52 PM

No, I'm not currently using the creams. Once I found a cream base that I wasn't allergic too, I wasn't absorbing it correctly

There are several bio-identical choices. Have you spoken with your pharmacist about your options? I would be hesitant to stick with something that was causing me pain without trying some of the other options.

Here's a link to The Hormone Quick Reference Guide which lists the various kinds of Estrogen replacements and information about them.

s
Kay
Unread 10-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Thank you for the reference guide. I just called my pharmacist and she is going to try a different base -- she said some will cause irritation and usually she can find one that won't irritate my sensitive skin.

Did you use Estriol cream and if you don't mind me asking, what are you using now that works? This has been going on for 10 months -- I am desperate.

Thanks again,

Mae Dean
Unread 10-08-2007, 04:10 PM

Hi Mae Dean,

The vaginal cream I used was an estradiol cream. It didn't work very well for me, so my Dr switched me to biest troches. I had to switch Dr's recently and now I am using vagifem and the Vivelle Dot. I have only been using it for a week, so it's a little soon to say for sure but so far, I am feeling great.

I hope this new base works well for you, but if it doesn't, don't hesitate to try something different. It can take a while to find the right product and dose for each of us.

s
Kay
Unread 10-08-2007, 05:09 PM

I hope the vagifem and the Vivelle Dot work for you! Hang in there and thank you for the encouragement and the support! (what are troches? -- I know what biest contains -- estriol and estradiol.)

Mae Dean
Unread 10-08-2007, 08:36 PM

Troches are small gummy tablets that you put between your gums and your cheeks. They are absorbed through your tissues there.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.